Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been dying to bring a fictional army I have in a story I was writing into the WH40k universe, (at least for text's sake,) but if there are any actual guides for making this kinda thing, I'd appreciate it if someone could point one such Codex-making guide out.

Anyone know where I can find such a guide? It's not a chapter or sub-version of an existing army, but rather a completely new one, (from the Warp.)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
You got a good question there...
I can't say for sure, but I've never heard of anyone making their own codex or wether it's legal at all...
Can anyone please put out more on this subject?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think it would be perfectly legal, you just need your opponents permission to use the force in a battle.
Of course you couldn't use it in any offical tournies or anything but it would be good otherwise :)

·
Normal member Fox D:
3,469 Posts
It should be perfectly legal, as it would only be a listing of all your forces stats and such, and in theory you should be able to use GW related pictures, as long as you dont mass produce your codex, which your not ;) but I can't be sure about that, and besides, you dont really need pictures. HOWEVER if there your own drawings, thats something completely different, and you should be able to use them.

I'm in the process of making mine, and basically all it will be will be stats of units and my force, mixed with fluff, history and rules for my army. All in MS Word, all printed out, maybe a cover sheet for it, then all placed in a hard or soft folder.
Wham, one homemade codex.

But as Elandili said you'd need your opponents go ahead before you would be able to use them, but as long as your force isn't hyped up and is pretty fair, and providing the guy your playing against isn't a complete thonk then you should be fine.

Good luck.

Toastee

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I was really hoping to find a site at least to show me some guidelines to follow... after all, even if they cost a truckload of points, you could make two troop choices of 5 units with 10 WS/BS/S/T and 3 wounds and 2+ invun save and soulless... sure, cost u a left nut, but it would be sooo overpowered and nearly unbeatable :ph34r:

·
Registered
178 Posts
ya.. and thast exactly why people are leary of alowing "home made codecies" my suggestion is to take a stat line for somthing likea space marine and if you up one stat lower another. though some stats are more important than others.. then make him a couple of points more. that way at a glance it looks ok. stay away from too many special rules. like " this is my super mega uber warp beastie and he has a 2+ invul save and a 1+ WBB roll... except on tuesdays.. then he only gets a 2+ wbb.... " if you dont give your oponant/friends somthing to complain about they usually wont. back in second edition my frineds and i would work on untis together. like i would have an idea for a new aspect warrior type, make up all the fluff stats and points then they would cretique it and id shut up and listen specially if i ever wanted to use them in a game.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I was thinking about it, and compared one unit to a Space Marine unit and tried it out. Here's an Troop choice.

Veles Troop Unit
Name-----Points/Model-----WS----BS-----S-----T------W-----I----A----Ld.------Sv.
Veles-----------18------------5------2------3------3------1-----5----1-----8------4+/6+
Thama---------25-------------6-----2------4------3------1-----6----1------8-----4+/6+
Lilio-----------+15------------6------2------4------3------1-----6----2-----9------4+/6+

Unit: The unit consists of one Thama and nine Veles.

I still have to design weapons and armor.

Basically, I took one point away from the Strength, Toughness and Save, and two points from the BS, giving me five. I added one to WS and one to Initiative, leaving me three to "justify" the 6+ invunerable save, (it's more of a racial ability, the armor save comes from the actual armor,) and boosted the point cost by three.

The Thama gets one extra WS and S, so I made him 6 points more expensive.

The Lilio is an upgrade for the Thama, +15 for one more point on Attack and Leadership.

The weapons will be fairly accurate for equipping this team, though as you can see it may be based a bit more on melee, with or without a transport option.

Well, what do ya think? Do I have some semblance to custom-unit making, or do I need a few pointers? I know the invunerable save might scare some, but that's one of the reasons I robbed a few points here and there and added to the cost. If this still doesn't make up for a 6+ invunerable save, (mainly cuz of the tiny edge it gets against power weapons and instant death,) just gimme a suggestion.

·
Registered
163 Posts
basicaly babel_matrix you really need to look at what other armies have for point cost and stats. ie your little troop there are 2 points more then a genestealer they have more wounds better armour and can shot...... if someone ever wanted to use an army agaisnt me that they had made they would have to submit a full written codex a week before we played (to allow tiem to check and find loop holes), then i would say no because i doubt there is anyone that could make a army that isnt cheeze.

even if they cost a truckload of points, you could make two troop choices of 5 units with 10 WS/BS/S/T and 3 wounds and 2+ invun save and soulless.

you have got to be kidding. who is going to allow you to field a squad with those stats. im sure they will all have a hand held railgun or earthshaker cannon too. twin linked even.

sorry but it ya.

XG

·
Registered
167 Posts
I got bored and tried to make a way to buy stats. It seems I found a way that works pretty good with at least the troops choices for chaos, dark eldar, eldar, orks and tau. The points cost becomes almost the same (equal or max 1 pt more) for those Ive tested.

If anyone is interested I could continue the work, including weapons, bikes and stuff like that, but only if you agree to become beta-tester :)

If(interested==true) mail("[email protected]");

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oi, X-Griffin, I was giving an example as to why there SHOULD be a guide because people would try and pull that stuff off. Of COURSE I wouldn't make something that ridiculous, that was an example for Christ's sake. The ACTUAL unit I tried to make as a test-drive of a suggestion is listed later on.

For Christ's sake, what moron would actually try and pass that monstrous "troop" for a fair unit? :ph34r:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
but it would be sooo overpowered
Please do read my ENTIRE message when I post it. 8|

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think you are being to generous with the cost actually. If thats their cost, with no weapons upgrade, no transport, and only CC weapons, then.... too expensive.

My suggestion:

Name---Pts--Ws--Bs--S--T--W--I--A--Ld--Sv
Veles----11--5---2---3--3--1--5--1--8--4+/6+ No transport, no weapon
upgrades, 2 CC weapons
Thama--18--6---2---4--3--1--6--1--8--4+/6+ No transport, no weapon
upgrades, 2 CC weapons

Sounds cheap? Dont think so. A Veles for example has _no_ weapons upgrade choices (not very flexible..), _no_ transport (baaad for cc people), and only 2 CC
weapons. No ranged weapon at all.

And it would still have big problems in cc with cc-space-marines.

Id fight you using these values anyday. ;)

------------------------------
You wanna be a beta-tester?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I haven't designed weapons and upgrades yet, (though I can already tell there'd be no transport option and weapons option would be appropriate for a Troop choice.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey there. Codexes (or is it Codeci?) sometimes have a section saying that you can make up you're own fluff and characters as long as you use the same rules. Though changing the paint job isn't as much as you probably want to do, its the most you can do with being tournament legal.

As for making your own stats, work with another player or gaming group to be consistant. That way you can make a system of character/unit creation. On the topic of your space marines you suggested, keep in mind army special rules. Part of the 15 points of a space marine is because of the 'they shall know no fear' (still imho a very powerful ability) rule. Or with the mention of the genestealer, part of the cost comes from the fact it has infiltrate, high leadership, and can operate away from synapse creatures fine. Personally, I like house rules. Just cross reference with other armies to help out and have fun =)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I actually agree with you "T" but id only alow a new race to play if you had good conversions... not like paint pots with GI JOE guns glued to them.... (dont laugh some dick did this for his "killer cans" in a tourny game no less... needless to say i promply dropped out of the tourny for its lameness factor) once you get some more stuff done for this keep posting im sure you could get some decent cretiques and you will recieve some flames.. but thats the price oyu pay for an open forum. also id like to see some pics if your converted models.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, problem is, I can't think of what to convert... basically, they're gonna be pale white and human-sized, but without the mouth or ears, (blank flesh where mouth is and little holes where ears are supposed to be), wearing old-looking armor made of warp material,(something like full-plate armor without a helmet,) and long black hair, (except for one certain HQ, they have red hair, but that doesn't matter.) I'm still designing weapons, but they're gonna look something like gothic, stone, almost creature-like cannons and crossbow-like weapons, (for the Blood Launcher,) amongst other things once I picture them.

I really can't think of any models that I can convert into this kinda thing, maybe alittle of Eldar and sand-paper-off their mouths... but all in all, I figured I'd have to custom-make them myself. -_-;;

Anyone know pieces I can put together for these guys? If not, know of a kit that supplies me with plastics or even metal works to make custom models of appropriate size?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In addition, (though I highly doubt I could ever come up with anything as refined as needed,) do you think Games Workshop would accept an army created by an outside party, like, (for example,) some random guy with a good idea?

·
Registered
178 Posts
actually thats what citidel journal is all about.. once you have a good codex working and an army converted up and painted well send them the codex and all the pics. who knows.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You can use all the above methods to get an initial profile. However, the only way you can get it closer is by play-testing. You need to try and get every possible situation in there. So, you would need to test, on a squad-by-squad and individual-by-individual basis:
a) Shooting (and only shooting, just standing 12/24" apart and slogging it out)
B) Assault (start in assault, resolve twice, once with each party charging)
c) Both (play as you would if you were on the battlefield)
Against as many opponents as possible but, at the very least:
a) Space Marines (your 'standard' or, at least, most common troop type)
B) An assaulty army (Orks, 'Nids)
c) A shooty army (Tau)

It could take a fairly long time as every time you changed the points values you would have to re-playtest the unit. However, if you are that entusiastic about it, go for it! You just need to find some people to playtest as well as yourself (one can play against oneself as long as one isn't likely to be biased) to break theworkload down some (I would be happy to help, if you give me some details first and I like the concept)

·
Registered
163 Posts
for modles i would look towards tau and elder bits head mainly. maybe even dark elder bits. but fo the body it looks like your going for the protoss look so i would stick to modding tau. maybe look towards someother miniture companys for the weapon but most hand to hand stuff can be made from 1-2mm plastic sheet the widdle it down. it takes tiem to get simitry but it turns out ok.

XG

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.