Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had some requests to see what my club is currently up to, now that we're done with the female guard project.

Imperial Cavalry units are one of the best and cheapest (points-wise) counter-assault units available, but no decent models exist for them, so we're going to make them ourselves for our club members.

We started with our concept art:

This creature is based on the Moa, an extinct eleven feet tall creature native to New Zealand.
The Moa is very similar to a Veloci-Raptor, both in silouette, speed, ferocity, and intelligence, but it is unusual in that is has no arms/wings, not even little ones. Moa were very strong, able to break through a man's skull or snap a man in half with their lightning fast beaks as effortlessly as popping a balloon. The Moa has been the inspiration for other Sci-Fi creatures you might be familiar with in movies like Wizards, Naausica, Final Fantasy, and some Star Wars critters.

The rider will carry a shocklance, which would be an equivalent weapon that would use the same rules as a hunting lance.

Here's our Work In Progress shots so far. It is fun to see the progression from armature to full model. The sculpting is about 50% done at this point, so look here for more updates as sculpting progresses.

More updates to come.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Nice work!
Altough we both know thats a chocobo... (save the fact - a chocobo got wings... hmm...)
Well, nonetheless a good replacement for the butt ugly rough riders of GW.

·
Registered
602 Posts
awesome chocobo

but why'd you cut it's head off?

will this be followed by a diorama of what happens when these IG run low on food... (and thus the massive turkey dinner lookin action...)

·
Registered
261 Posts
This creature is based on the Moa, an extinct eleven feet tall creature native to New Zealand.
The Moa is very similar to a Veloci-Raptor, both in silouette, speed, ferocity, and intelligence, but it is unusual in that is has no arms/wings, not even little ones. Moa were very strong, able to break through a man's skull or snap a man in half with their lightning fast beaks as effortlessly as popping a balloon. The Moa has been the inspiration for other Sci-Fi creatures you might be familiar with in movies like Wizards, Naausica, Final Fantasy, and some Star Wars critters.

The rider will carry a shocklance, which would be an equivalent weapon that would use the same rules as a hunting lance.
Have you read any Dan Abnett books yet? Straight Silver, one of the Gaunt's Ghosts series, describes a very similar type of riding-bird cavalry, called 'Struthids'. The world that employed them used psi-link technologies to link the rider's minds to the birds, so that the riders could handle thier rifles and weapons while steering thier mounts with thier minds. Thier beaks and claws are just as much weapons as thier rider's rifles, hacking men in two and chomping off heads and limbs Your design reminds me of them.

You might want to take a quick look at the Chapter Approved rules for Xenos-mounts. Then you can have the bird attack as well as the rider. That would be awesome.

Lookin good sofar. I wanna see more!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome Moa, and great feathers, this will look awesome when its done. You gonna be selling these?
Of course, though it's only going to be a limited run, so PM me if you want to get some for yourself.

Have you read any Dan Abnett books yet?
Unfortunately no. I read Storm of Iron and Firewarrior, and then decided that I wouldn't read any more 40K novels.

but why'd you cut it's head off?
The neck will have a ball-and-socket joint so that people can do lots of different poses when assembling them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh that looks nice. I Pm you ages ago about the price of buying a few of these but havnt herd any thing back?

When do you think these will be finished?

And what next have you got plained?
Sorry about that, I'll send you a PM right now.
Sculpting should be done in about two weeks, which is the deadline for anyone wanting to join in. After that, about a month for casting, then everything gets mailed out.

After this, a blood pact conversion kit, a tank-girl themed tank commander, and praetorians.

·
335 Posts
I'm suprised thet GW hasn't attempted to sue you or something.

So what other ideas you got in store for us? Female IG, Chocobos(Don't deny it!) what's next?

·
335 Posts
i really cant see how GW will sue them??? as there is nothing copyrighted on them?

if GW sue its because they did not think of the idea
But for the Imperial Guardswomen, as IG are propriety of GW, in any and all shapes, wether or not they make women ones or not (Which is just freaking stoopid). They could indeed sue because he is making money off of these. If he was using them for personal use, and mayeb giving them away for free. GW wouldn't be able to do anything. But whatever.

·
Poisonous Mammal
390 Posts
Wow...that is absolutly amazing...great job on this conversion, I love the concept for it and the xecution of it is perfect.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts