Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions? I bought a huge 2 inch thick sheet, and I'm not totally sure what I should be using to cut it apart.

I have a little handsaw, but it kinda makes it look all unhappy-like.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Big knife; slender and sharp. I normally cut half way through to score it and then break it where i had cut it - alot like glass cutting. Otherwise you can buy a $30+ foam cutter at railroad stores.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured I could just carve it up to suit whatever I needed. I plan to use some of it as a base for an industrial complex, and I plan to dig things in (got some pipes and pumps and stuff from my work :p). There are disadvantages I have quickly come to see, however..

·
Registered
102 Posts
Are you sure you aren't getting confused between polystyrene sheet and foamboard?
Foamboard is the stuff with a thin plastic sheet on each side, polystyrene is just the foam.
I didn't even think they made foamboard thicker than 1/2".

Anyway, if its foamboard you want to cut, you are probably best scoring with a knife and snapping it, as already stated. A saw would just wreck the plastic

If its polystyrene sheet try and find a 'padsaw', they have very fine teeth, and look somewhat like a long knife. (Think stanley-knife handle with a narrow saw blade instead of a knife blade.)
Another alternative is to either get a foam cutter, or find a soldering iron or soldering gun that has a cutting attachment.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
You could quite easily make a Foam Cutter yuorself, try this *link*. You could however scale this monster of a hotwirecutter down a bit;)
I bought the GW one and when I realised how simple the thing was I got a bit annoyed.
It is a great tool though and I would like to advoce against any Knifing or Sawing except for making texture.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To save you the trouble, you can also buy a foam cutter at Hobby Lobby for around $6.99. Don't be suckered, GW sells theirs for about $30......good luck. It's the same exact cutter. I think it's called the wonder cutter and it takes 2 D batteries.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts