Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fury of the Ages
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Maxwell Finn and a Troll Axer for your perusal and interest.

Gotta keep practicing my photography skills (or lack thereof)

:)

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
Some colour balance and a bit of leveling would really help those photos out, for sure.
See if you can find a free image manipulation program and give it a try.

Onto the actual models:
They look nice, but I think they could do with a bit more selectiveness regarding their highlights...
Light is pretty much just hitting a model (and/or a thing in real life) from the top. Pretty much everything ever has a shadow underneath it, and figuring out how to paint them will really take your painting to the next level.

This is something called zenithal highlighting. Just imagine you have a big, bright lamp shining down from the top of your model. Everywhere the light hits is where you should highlight. This doesn't just mean the edges, or what-have-you. Sometimes it is an entire surface, sometimes not.
If you can't quite visualise it, actually put a primed model underneath a bright lamp, and photograph it. Then use the photo for reference of where to highlight.

They look nice and solid, but that is what would really help them out, I think.

-t.

·
Hero of War
1,348 Posts
I really love what you've done with the models.

I think the colours look fantastic, and the rust effect works really nice!

Both really great models! +rep for you! :)

·
Fury of the Ages
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the feedback too, minus_t (and the effort you took in replying!)

I've got an Epic Morghoul model sitting there, ready to go and will try and really focus on the zenithal highlighting technique on him. See how we go!

I'll post him up when he's done. :)

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
Some colour balance and a bit of leveling would really help those photos out, for sure.
See if you can find a free image manipulation program and give it a try.
The GIMP is probably one of the best free applications out there for photo retouching. Send me a PM if you can't figure out how to use it. It's a bit complex at first blush.

I like the troll's armour! What's your metal recipe?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts