Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seroiusly considering taking Cypher and a group of Fallen for my army 1500 pts. and over. I have a hard time using up all my elites slots. So basically I have 2 questions:

1- Do you think they're worth it, paying what you do for Cypher and burning regular points cost marines in an Elites slot?
2- How do you use up your Elites choices? I use 1 group of Obliterators, that's it.

My army is Word Bearers based, and please don't tell me about Chosen or Posessed for the other 2 open slots. I've never been able to make them worth their points cost in an Elites role.

Uncle Jesse

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I've had him lying around for some time, now that he's back in WD then I might consider using him....

I've had him for a year, he's fought one battle...

He did quite well, some 6-7 terminators on his consiosness B)

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Well I suppose if you use Cypher and his Fallen right they should easily be worth the pts cost, plus he's cool to use if any of your opponents plays DA :) ! But why exactly don't you like Chosen? I nearly always use 6 Chosen in terminator armour, 2 with Reapers, one of them also has a chainfist, the other a power fist, and one other guy has a lightning claw and combi-melta (which is way overpriced but anyway). I find them an excellent unit personally...

·
Registered
959 Posts
wouldnt a unit of possessed go well with all the daemons in a word bearers army? also a unit of chosen in normal power armour and given melta bombs and guns with the infiltrate ability can be very deadly tank hunters.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use chosen in a bodyguard for my Chaplain but not in an Elites slot.
Posessed seem to not justify their points cost no matter how good they can look. Does anyone have a good way of equiping them to make them useful?

Uncle Jesse

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Uncle, you might want to re-read your codex :) : Chosen always take up one elites slot, even if you only have one bodyguard unit, or if you have 3 units, it's always 1 elites slot.

As for the Possessed, I too find them too expensive. The most effective choice seems Daemonic Talons, the rest is too expensive for what it does.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never been sure about that. Thanks for clearing it up though. But I still have one open Elites slot any ideas?

Uncle Jesse

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lets see first off you cant use this but it is a good Possessed option, X Possessed with Mark of Khorne with Rending Claws and an Aspiring Champion with Talismon of burning blood.

Undivided Possessed Id give either Rending claws or Daemonic Visage since both are usefull and cheap, then put them in a rhino.

The other Elites I use are Chosen, take a 7 man chosen squad with furious charge, in a rhino + 3 champions all equipped differently, 1 PW, 1 PF, 1 Rending claws, all with daemonic strength.
Nice H2H squad that can take on most things.

The other Elite choice I can mention are only appropriate to black legion armies.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The possesed have lost their touch...

In the previous codex their could actually be dangerous, with their 3 random rolls on the mutation table, sure now you can customize the squads for the exact job they are going to do, but then again now you can only take on mutation...

And about your elite choice, I would go for termies....

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Termies are just about always a good choice. They make a bloddy mess out of just about anything in close combat, have pretty effective firepower on the move, and they can take quite some punishment. I love em!

Dragonslayero I agree on the possessed, I like the old ones much better. They were without contest my favourite unit, whenever I was writing an army list the first thing on paper was '8 Possessed, pistols & ccweapons, 240 pts'. I really liked the random part, plus they always paid back their pts cost, they were possibly my most effective unit overall.

·
Registered
959 Posts
i still find that my WE possessed marines are nasty. maybe not as powerful as they could have been in the previous codex but now atleast i know what ive got when i spend the points.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, so has anyone found a good way to outfit Possesed that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Apparently they're my only choice for filling out my force organisation chart. Unless I say screw it and use that last slot to take some more bloodletters. Input anyone?

Uncle Jesse

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
To me it seems Talons are the way to go. IIRC they're 5 pts, so you got possessed of 27 pts a pop, and it gives them a good chance against tough and well armoured units.
Then we have 2 real cheap options: the first is Visage. Possessed are already pretty good in close combat with 3 attacks on the charge and S5, and this helps you in breaking the opponent so you can run em down or engage another unit.
The second is not to give them anything! Just see them as a CSM squad with better S and an inv save, and say it's enough!
I'd go for the Talons though...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I guess I'll wait for my son to get home on Sunday and play some skirmishes. Play around and see if I can find a combo I'm happy with.

Thanks for all of your guys input. I'll let you know on Monday what happens.

Uncle Jesse

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
By the way is it possible to give veteran skills for the possessed?

I mean tha tcould make them even better, say you give them furious assault or charge or what ever...
Then they could be really good.

Say you give them talons, is it then possible to mount them in a Rhino?

·
Registered
959 Posts
possessed can't have veteran's skills, and yes if they have talons they can mount a rhino.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also play Word bearers and i use one elite slot with 3 obliterators, and then i can use the rest as troop choices. if i want to.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
You can replace only 1 elites choice with an extra troops choice. If you want more troops you'd have to take away 1 fast attack and/or 1 heavy support.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.