Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
;?all ... i ... can ... say ... is ....THIS IS AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!(enphasis)

that looks mint lol wish i could do that sorta thing

for the base did u just use sand + PVA ??

the power of rep!!!! rep for you because this looks AWSOME!

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
All I can say is... you make me envy of you... Well done. The scratche and the battle damage and the lighting effect everything actually is just awesome! ;?

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
If this is your idea of "nothing fancy," I think I speak for everyone here when I say I'm breathlessly awaiting your post of a pic you consider "fancy!" That's very good stuff! The highlighting is to die for, and I like the battle damage. Nicely done!

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone, he took around 10hrs to do. It wasn't all that fancy because there was not conversion involved, just some painting techniques. Oh, and the base was from the 40k basing kit with some putty and covered by modelling sand.

Cheers

·
Lord of Purple
933 Posts
This paintjob is immense ;?. Lovely model, great lighting work and battle damage. And yeah, I thought you ment "Nothin' fancy" in referrence to parts used, not paintjob ;Y.

·
Fury of the Ages
753 Posts
well sir, congratulations! That is a wonderful looking ultramarine! It just looks great! Its certainly a noticeable improvement on the Typhus you did a while back.

As you asked for C&C I think the base lets it down a bit. Maybe a bit plain, and the sand in it looks a bit rough for some reason. Its also a bit rough and unfinished looking around the edges.

That said, you don't really notice it, because the colours and paint job on the rest of him really draws your eye up to his head which is great.

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
Well, it's certainly a nice model, but I feel I must be slightly more reserved than the many other posters here...

First up, your photoshopping is perhaps a tad extreme. The first picture especially is waaaaaay too bright and contrasty. The others seem much better, with good detail and ok colour balance, although I would say that they need a little more contrast.

As for the model itself, bits of it look great.
The tromp l'oeil battle damage is nice, especially on the chainsword side. However, I think that many of the 'chips' are rather large, and would have been better off modelled onto the mini as opposed to painted (especially where they run over several surfaces/edges).

Personally, I think there is a bit too much 'grime' on there, and it applied in a somewhat random selection of places (although I may be wrong about that).
Although it looks pretty good on the chainsword, it doesn't really seem to 'fade out' on the legs especially, which makes all of it seem a little clunky in my opinion.

The bolt pistol almost seems to come from an entirely different model somehow, both in terms of cleanliness (or, I suppose, lack-of-dirtyness) and general painting. It really doesn't seem up to the standard of the rest of the mini.

A few things I really like about the model, to hopefully make you feel happy and fuzzy (again), as well as giving you (hopefully) a few things to think about for next time:
I love the helmet, I love the 'U' icon, I love the majority of the trom l'oeil (altough the blue is much better than the black).

Really nice work, and it's going to be interesting to see where you go from here.

-t.

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys much appreciated. The first photo was very extreme in contrast and brightness, i also replaced the background in it. Just wanted to know what people prefer between the two ways I photoshoped the pics.

I have been told by a number of people about the scratches being too big in size, but that shouldn't be a problem to fix. what I found hard was glazing the dirt on the armor, since it turns into a wash when theres too much water. Was wondering if some matt medium would help get rid of tide marks. anyone has any advice on that?

All parts were painted before assembling, that's why a few areas look out of place. I'll keep note of that when I paint some more of them. The plan is to use this as a test model and paint up a squad of five as veterans for my company. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.