Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone! I've decided to start an army of Deathwing, since I'd like an army of elite dudes that I don't have to paint any new tanks for. To this end, I've made the following list. I'd very much like input, even if that input is "You're crazy, Wyte, toss in a land raider at least."

HQ

Belial with Sword of Silence

Librarian with Terminator Armor & Force Staff

Deathwing Command Squad (5)
-Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield x2
-Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, and Banner of Fortitude
-Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, and Cyclone Missile Launcher
-Champion with Halberd of Caliban

Troops

Deathwing Terminators (5)
-Powerfist & Stormbolter x3
-Sergeant with Power Sword

-Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield x3
-Chainfist and Assault Cannon

Scouts (5)
-Camo Cloaks
-Sniper Rifles
-Veteran Sergeant

In an average game I'd Deathwing Assault the Hammer-heavy squads, deepstriking them on turn 1. This leaves the scouts and the stormbolter squads on the board for the first turn if my enemy gets the initiative, 3 units deployed and 4 in reserve. The Librarian rolls with Belial and the Command Squad, which will deepstrike in last, after the other squads have (hopefully) found some empty board in the enemy's face to occupy. That will project the FNP bubble with as much coverage as possible to reduce the potential plasma cannon counterattack.

Obviously, tactics reflect mission. Most games, though, I'd play it a bit like a drop marine army; I'd focus fire on primary threats, denying line of sight and range where I can. The missiles in the back would target vehicles, the assault cannons would target primary threats, and the stormbolters would target things that bleed. Belial's unit would try their best to both cover the other termies from small arms fire, as well as aiming to end up in CC with the enemy's Warlord. If that happens, Belial will challenge if the warlord in question's armor value is >2 and their toughness is >3; otherwise, the champion will go at them with the S 6 AP 2 goodness.

I'm not sure what to roll exactly for the librarian. Both the divination and telepathy primarus powers appeal. Either way, he'd be with Belial, increasing the squad's psychic defense and adding a little more "oomph."

Thoughts? Opinions? Questions? Critiques?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one? Immaculate list? Flawless in form as well as execution? Handshakes and cigars all around?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HQ

Librarian with Terminator Armor & Force Staff, Mastery 2

Troops

-Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield
-Powerfist & Stormbolter x2

Scouts (5)
-Camo Cloaks
-Sniper Rifles
I decided that my deepstriking squads didn't have enough shooting power, which I feel they really need, not only to take advantage of the assault rule, but also to help destroy the threats on the field. As such, I've reduced the number of shields out there to one per squad, allowing for many more bolter rounds. Also, I bonked myself on the head and said "why not put the librarian with the backfield missile squads, since they'll never get the twin-link from deepstriking?" So, that's where he'll be... and since I had so many free points floating around, I took away the veteran sergeant upgrade from the scouts and made him a Mastery 2 psyker.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I think a general tactic with DW would be to deploy your Assault heavy units and Deep Strike your shooters. This way the assaulters can move up, soak up some shooting and maybe get an early assault in while the shooters Deep Strike in and use their Twin-Linked / Split Fire goodness to work.

As far as load outs go I have had good success with
3x PF/SB
1x TH/SS Cyclone
1x TH/SS Sgt.

This way I have a solid character for challenges and only lose out on 1 guy not being able to shoot.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I think a general tactic with DW would be to deploy your Assault heavy units and Deep Strike your shooters. This way the assaulters can move up, soak up some shooting and maybe get an early assault in while the shooters Deep Strike in and use their Twin-Linked / Split Fire goodness to work.

As far as load outs go I have had good success with
3x PF/SB
1x TH/SS Cyclone
1x TH/SS Sgt.

This way I have a solid character for challenges and only lose out on 1 guy not being able to shoot.
Hmmm... I do like the look of that loadout... the chainfist/assault cannon guy would be more effective against vehicles... but it's a bit of a waste to not have more TH/SS/CML guys when we're the only codex that can have them. ^_^

Ah well, more dakka it is. Both to avoid the FAQ-RAW guys and to preserve my powersword minis, I'll keep the SGTs PS/SB though.

So:

HQ

Troops

Scouts (5)
-Camo Cloaks
-Sniper Rifles
EDIT: Am I missing anything? I've basically got a single versatile unit spammed 5 times and a tanky command squad... any glaring holes or weaknesses that pop into mind? (Well... barring vendetta spam. I was thinking about that one earlier... ew.)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I'm liking the two Stormshields per squad. Definitely makes them more durable.

I'm not entirely familiar with the Dark Angels codex though, but I'm sure one of the Terminators in the command squad can become an Apothecary, right? I'm also unfamiliar with the Halberd used in there too.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm not entirely familiar with the Dark Angels codex though, but I'm sure one of the Terminators in the command squad can become an Apothecary, right? I'm also unfamiliar with the Halberd used in there too.
One of the guys in the command squad could become an apothecary, but the Banner of Fortitude provides Feel No Pain to every friendly model within 12". That's a 24" diameter bubble of apothecary.

The Halberd is the relic blade from 5th edition, +2 str and cuts through terminator armor and power armor alike, all on initiative.

EDIT: Actually, I'm still debating what to do with that librarian... he'd be more threatening in the deepstrike team, since almost everything offensive he does only works within 24 inches... hmmm... what do you guys think?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Offensively? I'd be using Divination or Biomancy, so he'll want to be up close. How many teams do you plan to Deep Strike?
Deep Striking:

-Belial, (Possibly Librarian,) and Command Squad
-3 Squads of Terminators

Starting on Board:

-2 Squads of Terminators
-Scouts

That's half the units, rounded up, in reserves. Max allowed. That will allow me to deepstrike as many as possible on turn 1 to benefit from the twin-linking. Belial and group will then precision strike exactly where they can do one or all of the following:

1. Threaten the enemy Warlord with an assault
2. Get side/rear armor on a vehicle with the CML
3. Bubble as many terminators as possible with the FNP banner.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
New thought, Mortis Dreadnoughts. A Mortis Dreadnought with two Twin-Linked Autocannons comes in at 125 points and has Skyfire and Interceptor if he doesn't move, otherwise he is a normal regular dread. Do you think this is worth taking? For every squad of Terminators I drop, I could add two of these guys. With double force organization, I could run 4 in this list if it looked like this:

HQ

Troops

Scouts (5)
-Camo Cloaks
-Sniper Rifles

Elites

Mortis Dreadnought
-Twin-linked Autocannon x2

Mortis Dreadnought

Mortis Dreadnought

Mortis Dreadnought

I'd be able to deepstrike all the terminators, but instead of two squads of termies in the backfield, guarding the home objectives, it would be 4 dreads. What do you think? Is 4 overkill? Would 2 and a squad to guard the backfield be better? That's a fair amount of S 7 anti-flyer/rhino... but I already lack boots on the field... your thoughts?

EDIT: Added bonus, if I'm playing against someone who is absolutely 100% opposed to Forgeworld, the regular codex rifleman dread is also 125.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Mortis dreads are awesome indeed, more so the Contemptor Mortis Dread I run with my Deathwing. However, to the list, you are severely limiting the number of scoring bodies. Deathwing already suffers from typically being outnumbered. At 2k, if your opponent is savvy will simply gun down you now 4 scoring units. I would take just two instead of four.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.