Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes the MEK FORT is officially under production, over the past two days little work has been done, as I was getting the foam stuck together. PVA takes a billion years to dry, and lucky it did in time cos the stupid cats knocked it off the table but it survived!
NOW!
The basic idea was something I seen in Januarys WD with the battle report of orks vs ultramarines, the terrain just gave me so many ideas about how an ork city should look, and then the few pages before that had a giant ork fort with buggys bikes and nobs streaming down it into battle and I couldn't help but see what I could do with it.

The original idea was it to be a mek shop, a very LARGE mek shop, but leaving such a place unguarded would let da oomies in and we can't have that going on so I beefed up the security a bit with some block towers, and barricades blocking access from the sides, or at least slowing the advance of enemy infantry.

The towers would be stuck mainly to the top board of foam, but have struts holding them to the bottom layer just for some extra support, and I believe it gives the whole project a huge difference in dimention and gives the meks more space to do their stuff.

The things that look like blocks sitting around the outside of the fort are simply barricades, made out of skrap piles and other worky bits, may turn them into make-shift bunkers/piles of rubble if that makes sense to you all.

Generator on the right side sort of explains itself, I'm yet to find some bits and pieces to make it, but I'm sure something will present itself sooner or later.

The tesla coil is on the left side, and if you don't know what one is I suggest googleing it because they are quite impressive to see, at least I think so.
There is no real idea for the coil, I just think it would look very orky, and maybe they believe it would offer a sort of force field against the outside attacks.

This is the workbench and my tools/supplies.

I know the foam sucks, but I don't have the money to go out buying special foam and I had plenty of this left, I'll find a way to keep it from melting, but not right now cos its just early stages.

A bag of cut-up sprues I did the other night, it took a few hours to cut them all up, there is about 4000 points of sprues in there, just for rubble and things like that.

I spent quite a lot of time pondering about the lack of foam I had, originally thinking to have considerably more than was there it was sort of disappointing to open the cupboard and only find one slab, and considering from the plan this would need at least two steps I was finding it hard to come up with problem solving ways.

Then I realized I will have scraps left over from the first cut, and simply glued them to the bottom to create the second layer of foam. It worked well for a bit but the last piece was proving to be quite a challenge.

The bottom level finally finished my work for the day was done, and the predator came around to have a look.

UPDATE!
11/02/08

I got the bases for the towers done with the stilts holding them up, the one in the top right was a bit difficult so I stuck them to the side instead of screwing around with it for hours.
Looking nice so far I think

The first towers walls are up, finally giving me an idea of just how huge this building will be when its completely finished.

Second side is done, needed to use struts on the inside to keep it from falling down at least untill it all dries together and is tough again.

The whole front looks nice so far, there will be lots of details on the front walls, rivets and glyphs when the project is closer to finished but to keep the weight and complications down at this time I'm just leaving it all very simple.
Ramp is finished too

Just before I left, I found a bottle that would perfecly fit the light globe I was planning to use for a tesla coil on the left side of the fort.

All in all, a nice days work I think.
Will update more tomorrow

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Looking good, omgitsduane. The pictures could do without so much erasing, however. It makes it difficult to focus on your scenery. Otherwise, well done, old chap...well done :)

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking good, omgitsduane. The pictures could do without so much erasing, however. It makes it difficult to focus on your scenery. Otherwise, well done, old chap...well done :)
I actually thought people would like it more... but it did seem a bit weird to me :)

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
I actually thought people would like it more... but it did seem a bit weird to me :)
Only the first two pics are really affected by the cropping. One thing good about having background garbage and what naught is that it sets the proportions, without which, the subject tends to lose it's connection with reality. This applies even if the background has nothing to do with the subject, albeit helps if there's some relation :happy:.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with frozencore. The crane needs more gubbinz. Aside from that, you could do with making the scrap piles into slight mounds to make it look more... natural I guess is where I'm going. I dunno, I've just seen many junk yards, and when stuff sits, dirt tends to pile up around it (along with rust and pests). But, all in all, nice work.

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
It is looking suitably orkish, but as others have said a few more gubbinz on the crane would look sweet.
For the bases, can I suggest getting some cork tiles (usually the underlay stuff). They are available in handy 1ft squares and you can pick them up from bunnings. Nice and robust without the weight of wood.

·
is coming out to play
991 Posts
Very Orky. Now to get my cousin to make some orky terrain. I'll make sure he gets inspired by your work and makes new terrain.:)

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha no problem toon, I'm painting my predator, I just love how these tanks look so I'm so excited ^_^ but when I get some free time next I'll be painting da mek shop :)

·
Registered
903 Posts
Very Orky. Now to get my cousin to make some orky terrain. I'll make sure he gets inspired by your work and makes new terrain.:)
HAHA! I was just thinking that it was very inspiring and is giving me great ideas for my ork terrain!!

Great work Duane, very nice. I hope to see the rest of the terrain up and completed!

EDIT: The bases remind me of one of the tables at Games Day in Chicago. The ork city was covered in bits of the sprues cut up and clipped off. It does give a very good look when finished and painted.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
'ere to fix ur gubbins!

UPDATE
12/02/08

Well today I didn't plan to do much work at all, if any...
I glued up a wall at the back and then left it half done until the girlfriend had a hissy fit and to get away from her I went and fixed up the wall and put up the last tower section.

With that done I felt that the barricades don't have the height they require to actually slow down an assault or just reduce casualties from fire, so I covered what I had done yesterday with glue and built up the cut-up sprues over and over till I was happy enough with it to leave it where it is.

The walls looking a little boring, I put some flavor on in the form of some metal sheets and some teef, rivets will be NUMEROUS when its closer to finished, but where it is right now I'm liking the look and feel of this project, but I'm naturally worried about when it comes time to paint the bastard.

There is still PLENTY more dimension to add with bits and pieces all over to give it that orky feel and I may add some larger kannon batteries for defense, even though I'm not sure how the rules for such things work in game terms.

Thats all for me.

C&C welcome

-Duane

EDIT:
I've found the perfect thing for the base of the generator.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
UPDATE
12/2/08

I have been doing bits and pieces for the past week and a bit, just small pieces, putting in screws to the boards, adding small details I think are needed...

Pics tonight I promise.

I've broken up an old T.V. today for pieces, found TONS of useful things like screws, miles of wire, plugs, copper coils, some node things (not sure if its the right name, but it sounds familiar), switches, plugs, even one piece of the tv that I didn't damage too bad, I'll turn into terrain :)

And lots of little resistors, big resistors, just a gold mine of stuff :)

Next on my salvage list will be a computer, but thats going to have to wait....

Mek shop will probably be very close to finished now, small minor details all around, and tons and tons of rivets.
it turns out the glue I have is crap and doesn't really stick things together, it sort of just dries up around it... meaning if I touch ANY of the panels I glued on the slightest bit they just drop straight off... useless!

This is part of a keyboard that fit PERFECTLY on the side of the generator block...

·
Father of the Failed
1,170 Posts
Yes, that is indeed looking like the basings of a great Orky fort. I always love to see random household bits put together with some thought to create great scenery like you have done here. It should look really good when its finished.

As for painting the beaset - its going to take some time, but good use of spray cans (with appropriate protection for the melty-bits) and large-brush drybrushing should help cut down the time immensely.

As for the Kannon batteries - I just wouldn't bother making up rules for them. Sure, you could do for friendly games etc, but it is by no means neccessary - they will just add to the decor(k) of the terrain piece. If you're intent on rules for them then they could count as stationary artillery pieces firing from cover and be treated just like normal 'artillery' models (except they can't move and get some sort of cover save as compensation).

Shall keep an eye on this project dude:).

Rich.

Reactions: omgitsduane
1 - 20 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.