Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My local group is running a Sustained Assault Campaign for the next four weeks. the way this works is you face the same opponenet w/ the same armies, allowing tweaks between each week to play against their weaknessess. It was a a random draw, and I got a Word Bearers army. I don't know much about them, other than he runs pretty much one of each Daemon type in unit sizes corresponding to thier holy number (or something to that effect). I also know he doesn't have much in the way of armor. This will pretty much be my first time going against a daemon army with DH. Here's the list I'm toying with, I still have 76 points to spend and extra models including some more Storm Troopers, Inducted Guard (Armored Fist Squads and a Russ), some Assassins, and a whole lotta Witch Hunters that I can ally. Any help critiques, or outright rip aparts are welcome, i want to have a good fight, and want to see the DH actually kill some daemons. Everyone around my store say DH can't hunt daemons very well...

1 Grey Knight Grand Master (HQ) @ 485 Pts
Nemesis Force Halberd; Psycannon
#Terminator Armour
#Banishment
Sacred Incense
Icon of the Just
5 Grey Knight Terminator Retinue
Thunder Hm. & Storm Sh. (x1); Nemesis & Psycannon (x1); Nemesis &
Storm Bolter (x3)

1 Ordo Malleus Inquisitor (Elites) @ 167 Pts
Psycannon
2 Mystic
Laspistol & CC Weapon
1 Sage
Laspistol & CC Weapon
3 Warrior
Heavy Bolter Servitor (x2); Plasma Cannon Servitor (x1); Frag
Grenades; Krak Grenades

9 Inquisitorial Storm Troopers (Troops) @ 256 Pts
Hellgun (x7); Grenade Launcher (x1); Plasma Gun (x1); Frag Grenades; Mount
in Chimera
1 Veteran Stormtrooper @
Plasma Pistol (x1); Bolter; Frag Grenades
Teleport Homer
1 Inquisitorial Chimera @
TL Heavy Bolters; Hull Heavy Bolter
Extra Armour
Pintle Storm Bolter

9 Grey Knights (Troops) @ 325 Pts
Psycannon (x2); Nemesis & Storm Bolter
1 Grey Knight Justicar
Nemesis & Storm Bolter

9 Grey Knights (Fast Attack) @ 295 Pts
Incinerator (x2); Nemesis & Storm Bolter
1 Grey Knight Justicar
Nemesis & Storm Bolter

1 Grey Knight Dreadnought (Heavy Support) @ 103 Pts
Front Armour: 12; Side Armour: 12; Rear Armour: 10; Dread. CC Weapon;
Incinerator; Assault Cannon
Smoke Launchers
Extra Armour

1 Grey Knight Land Raider (Heavy Support) @ 293 Pts
Linked Lascannon (x2); Twin Heavy Bolters
#Power of the Machine Spirit
Smoke Launchers
Extra Armour
Pintle Storm Bolter
Psycannon Bolts
Sacred Hull

Models in Army: 46

Total Army Cost: 1924

·
Simple Green.
1,005 Posts
give the GM destroy daemon power, grimoire of true names, and sacred incense and he will wipe the table clear of all daemons almost by himself :yes:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah grimoire of true names, also consider going Brother Captain Stern instead of GM, if you know you will be facing a lot of deamons he may be a better cheaper option.

For your Inq squad have two sage's instead of two mystics so you have that reroll incase of a 1 on the plasma cannon.

With the points you save taking Stern and what you already have left over you should be able to take the Callidus assassin. If not take another storm trooper squad.

For your Storm trooper squads take 2 plasmas or 2 meltas don't take gernade launchers.

Also consider dropping sacred hull on your Land Raider and getting Blessed instead. It's not a crusader keep it back and use it to take out any armor, he might not have much but any chaos armor is a *****.

good luck

·
Registered
490 Posts
Definitely give blessed to the Land Raider, he will definitely need to be taking out that armor and blessed really helps since most chaos players use demonic upgrades. The psycannons should own all demons except for khorne. Remember, khorne have an armor save as well as an invul, so redirect all your no invul save weapons towards other demons. A great addition to this army might well be another inquisitor! I would build this one for anti demon power, as you said he will be using many.
Inquisitor with banishment
2 heirophants
keep the inquisitor behind a squad of GK, then once demons come close, they are already at -2 Ld( -1 from gk and -1 from heirophant) and taking the two highest dice for instability. not bad for 56 pts?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nedroj said:
For your Inq squad have two sage's instead of two mystics so you have that reroll incase of a 1 on the plasma cannon.
Yeah, that was an oversight on my part...

nedroj said:
For your Storm trooper squads take 2 plasmas or 2 meltas don't take gernade launchers.
Unfortunately all I have is the weapons listed, I haven't been able to get the extra models yet...

nedroj said:
Also consider dropping sacred hull on your Land Raider and getting Blessed instead. It's not a crusader keep it back and use it to take out any armor, he might not have much but any chaos armor is a *****.
Good call, hadn't thought of the Chaos armor thing, I don't face it that often...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JuliusGaiusCaesar said:
keep the inquisitor behind a squad of GK, then once demons come close, they are already at -2 Ld( -1 from gk and -1 from heirophant) and taking the two highest dice for instability. not bad for 56 pts?
I may just do that, sounds like a good idea, thanks.

This has been incredibly helpful everyone, please keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Nilvaryn said:
I may just do that, sounds like a good idea, thanks.

This has been incredibly helpful everyone, please keep 'em coming.
Somewhere on the Games workshop website, there is this list of about 6 different Inquisitor builds and how best to play them. i have recently lost the link and cannot find it, but I'm sure if you look hard enough you will see some of the other cool builds they put up too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the list I believe I'm going to go with on my upcoming fight. Any further thoughts or tweaks? Anything anyone thinks is not worth the points or FO slot? I'll be curious to see how it does.

1 Grey Knight Grand Master (HQ) @ 490 Pts
#Terminator Armour
#Destroy Daemon
Grimoire of True Names
Sacred Incense
Icon of the Just
Storm Bolter (x3)

1 Ordo Malleus Inquisitor (Elites) @ 173 Pts
Psycannon
Auspex
1 Mystic
Laspistol & CC Weapon
2 Sage
Laspistol & CC Weapon
3 Warrior
Grenades; Krak Grenades

1 Ordo Malleus Inquisitor (Elites) @ 58 Pts
Bolt Pistol (x1); Close Combat Weapon (x1); Close Combat Weapon
#Banishment
2 Hierophant
Laspistol & CC Weapon

1 Grey Knight Justicar
Nemesis & Storm Bolter

9 Inquisitorial Storm Troopers (Troops) @ 259 Pts
Hellgun (x7); Flamer (x2); Frag Grenades; Mount in Chimera
1 Veteran Stormtrooper
Bolt Pistol (x1); Power Fist (x1); Frag Grenades
Teleport Homer
1 Inquisitorial Chimera
Heavy Flamer; Hull Heavy Flamer
Smoke Launchers
Extra Armour
Pintle Storm Bolter

1 Grey Knight Justicar
Nemesis & Storm Bolter

1 Grey Knight Land Raider (Heavy Support) @ 285 Pts
Extra Armour
Blessed
Pintle Storm Bolter
Psycannon Bolts

1 Grey Knight Dreadnought (Heavy Support) @ 113 Pts
Dread. CC Weapon;
Smoke Launchers
Extra Armour
Blessed

Models in Army: 49

Total Army Cost: 1998

·
Simple Green.
1,005 Posts
Here's the link Caesar (above) was talking about for the Inquisitor builds, some samples:
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/daemonhunters/gaming/inquisitors/default.htm

~ With the LR, the pintle mounted stormbolter is useless, a heavy bolter + lascannons are "usually" not going to be shooting at the same target unless you have no choice, I would drop that.

Other than that I think it's a solid list, go kick some Chaos a$$ for the DH players here on LO!! :yes:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Nilvaryn said:
1 Grey Knight Grand Master (HQ) @ 490 Pts
#Terminator Armour
#Destroy Daemon
Grimoire of True Names
Sacred Incense
Icon of the Just
Storm Bolter (x3)
Good, but Destroy Daemon *might* be a bit much. It could be useful, or it might not ... the question is it worth the cost? The GM+retinue should crush just about any opposition in CC anyway. If you need more points for anything, I'd go ahead and drop it, but if you have the points it's not necessarily a bad choice.

1 Ordo Malleus Inquisitor (Elites) @ 173 Pts
Psycannon
Auspex
1 Mystic
Laspistol & CC Weapon
2 Sage
Laspistol & CC Weapon
3 Warrior
Grenades; Krak Grenades
Good, but very fragile. Remember to keep them in cover for the cover saves.

1 Ordo Malleus Inquisitor (Elites) @ 58 Pts
Bolt Pistol (x1); Close Combat Weapon (x1); Close Combat Weapon
#Banishment
2 Hierophant
Laspistol & CC Weapon
Seems like a completely useless squad! Their only purpose is to charge a unit of daemons in order to use banishment? They won't last long enough nor do enough damage. Drop this unit and do something like beef up you other =I= or take more GK, etc.

1 Grey Knight Justicar
Nemesis & Storm Bolter
Good.

9 Inquisitorial Storm Troopers (Troops) @ 259 Pts
Hellgun (x7); Flamer (x2); Frag Grenades; Mount in Chimera
1 Veteran Stormtrooper
Bolt Pistol (x1); Power Fist (x1); Frag Grenades
Teleport Homer
1 Inquisitorial Chimera
Heavy Flamer; Hull Heavy Flamer
Smoke Launchers
Extra Armour
Pintle Storm Bolter
Personally, I'd suggest plasma guns and the hvy bolters on the Chimera. Then I'd put psycannon bolts on the Chimera. Flamers just really have a short range. Consider melta-bombs on vet Sgt just in case.

1 Grey Knight Justicar
Nemesis & Storm Bolter
I have never had good luck with incinerators, especially on troops DSing. You get 1 turn of shooting (maybe) then go into assault. Taking an incinerator loses the NFW and thus an attack. I like sticking with normal GK w/stormbolter and NFW.

1 Grey Knight Land Raider (Heavy Support) @ 285 Pts
Extra Armour
Blessed
Pintle Storm Bolter
Psycannon Bolts
Good, but the question is are you sitting back and shooting or expecting to get in close. If you're sitting back and shooting, I'd drop the PB Storm bolter. If you want to get in close, I'd take the LRC. It's only 5 points more and packs as much AT as the LR (only shorter range) plus is MUCH better against infantry.

1 Grey Knight Dreadnought (Heavy Support) @ 113 Pts
Dread. CC Weapon;
Smoke Launchers
Extra Armour
Blessed
Good

Overall it's a pretty well-rounded force with a lot of firepower as well as CC power.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dvang said:
Seems like a completely useless squad! Their only purpose is to charge a unit of daemons in order to use banishment? They won't last long enough nor do enough damage. Drop this unit and do something like beef up you other =I= or take more GK, etc.

My logic here is to run them up with a unit of GK, assault in tandem and use the cumulative -2 Ld and3d6 pick the two highest to influence Daemon instability. It was something I originally did not have on the list, but was suggested earlier in the thread, I figured I'd give it a shot

dvang said:
Personally, I'd suggest plasma guns and the hvy bolters on the Chimera. Then I'd put psycannon bolts on the Chimera. Flamers just really have a short range. Consider melta-bombs on vet Sgt just in case.
My only thought with the large amount of flame is that I am going to be facing a lot of daemons, and even though thet still get thier Inv. Save, it's only a 5+ (except for Bloodletters) and the excessive amount of saves should work in my favor.

dvang said:
Good, but the question is are you sitting back and shooting or expecting to get in close. If you're sitting back and shooting, I'd drop the PB Storm bolter. If you want to get in close, I'd take the LRC. It's only 5 points more and packs as much AT as the LR (only shorter range) plus is MUCH better against infantry.
If I had a LRC I would use it, unfortunatley, I do not. The reg old LR will have to do

dvang said:
Overall it's a pretty well-rounded force with a lot of firepower as well as CC power.

Thanks, I am hoping it will do well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FunkyEntropy said:
The points cost you've listed for the dreadnought is incorrect.

A GK Dreadnought with AC + DCCW, incinerator, smoke and EA, Blessed should cost you 143 points.
Hmm... the cost I listed is the one that was generated by Army Builder, never even double checked it. I'll have to edit the roster files.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you are taking termies and FA PAGK, drop the pintle mounted storm bolter and slap a tele homer on the smaller inquisitor (im assuming he is going to be moving up.) this will make your deep strikers MUCH more effecient. I have repeatedly destroyed entire squads in one turn with this tactic.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Falamin said:
If you are taking termies and FA PAGK, drop the pintle mounted storm bolter and slap a tele homer on the smaller inquisitor (im assuming he is going to be moving up.) this will make your deep strikers MUCH more effecient. I have repeatedly destroyed entire squads in one turn with this tactic.

Wow, good call. I'll give that a shot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I had my first fight this week using the list I presented here. At the end I had him by 504 VP's (a solid victory) and he didn't have a scoring model left on the board. Over the course of the fight I took out his Greater Daemon of Slaanesh and caused every one of his deamon units to recycle at least once. At the end I had my GK Grand Master standing, a PAGK sguad of 8, and an inquisistor w/ a plasma cannon servitor and a sage. Thanks for all the advice given, and any more input would still be welcome. Oh and also, I am now in love with teleport homers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.