Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Librarium Online peoples,

Good morning! I want to get your thoughts about something I'm thinking about. Okay, a Daemon who gets 'killed' in the mortal universe is banished from this plane for a long time, right? But I thought I read that time is so screwed up in the warp that it's likely that some Chaos Space Marines come out of the warp throughout the timeline of the Eye of Terror (since they need a rift to come out of), maybe even fighting some battles out of sequence in our linear timeline. If this is so, and the warp is essentially 'timeless', can't the banished daemon just serve her down time and then come back out the same warp rift where she was killed? In fact, if a daemon is killed in the warp, isn't it still possible to encounter it if it previously entered the physical realm in the future from the past...?

I just can't grasp time anomalies...sorry if I'm way off about this.

Have a great week y'all!
Dreg

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
Hey Dreg,

My understanding is that time is simply more malleable in the Eye of Terror, it typically slows down - it just seems to move at varying paces most often slower than the rest of the universe. Though I'm sure it's possible that it could speed up somehow. As for banishment and the like, if I remember correectly it's supposed to be a hundred years and a day. Now, this is marked by those outside the Eye of Terror - it seems to be a proven statistic that our reality doesn't allow to be broken. So, it stands to reason that if the Imperium uses it as a reliable tracking system then it works so long as we stay outside of the Warp, etc. For a daemon, this is probably a much shorter time as they reside inside the Warp, but who knows? To them it could feel like an eternity. Either way, they can only re-enter our reality after a century. And even then it requires mortals to do so, they must prepare the way so even if they could re-enter at the exact same moment, it would require more sacrifices or whatnot on the part of the conspirators.

If you're a big sci fi fan, thinking of it like a ship traveling at relativistic speeds might be helpful. A ship traveling that fast would 'bend' time for themselves, if they traveled among the stars landing from time to time, what for them would feel like months could be decades to us and to us they would be seemingly immortal. (This is more Chaos Space Marine, but I'm hoping the metaphor will help)

Hope this helps. (And bear in mind, I'm no fluff expert)

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Time in the warp and Eye of Terror is flexible, but not in our universe. And terms of banishment are in our timeframe, not the warp's. So a thousand years will pass here, while in the warp that might be the blink of an eye or even a million years. But the time banished is measured in OUR terms.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah! I see, it's 'real time' banishment, not relative to the daemon. Thanks guys, that helps a lot!

Slaanesh bless and cherish you!
Dreg

·
2,076 Posts
The banishment time is not set in our timeline either. It is set by power level of the Daemon, the willingness of its God to give it power, its ability to gather power itself, how many sacrifices are made in its name, how close it is to a rift, etc, etc

A daemon in the real world eats up energy quickly, the more powerful the Daemon, the more power required to sustain it, and the longer it will take to gather that energy.
Not only that but a banished daemon will be severely weakened by the experience and, even more importantly, it will be shamed by its defeat.
The Host God may choose to dissolve it, punish it by locking it away for a thousand years or throw it to the 'wolves' and have its essence absorbed by other daemons.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
The banishment time is not set in our timeline either. It is set by power level of the Daemon, the willingness of its God to give it power, its ability to gather power itself, how many sacrifices are made in its name, how close it is to a rift, etc, etc

A daemon in the real world eats up energy quickly, the more powerful the Daemon, the more power required to sustain it, and the longer it will take to gather that energy.
Not only that but a banished daemon will be severely weakened by the experience and, even more importantly, it will be shamed by its defeat.
The Host God may choose to dissolve it, punish it by locking it away for a thousand years or throw it to the 'wolves' and have its essence absorbed by other daemons.
I think the daemon's power level only determines how long it can stay in our realm, not how long it stays banished. Most examples I've seen of daemon banishment tend to include terms of banishment decided by the slayer of the daemon's mortal form (ie, one hundred years and a day for Angron, a thousand years for Gharguloth, etc).

·
2,076 Posts
A more powerful daemon will take longer to gather his power so that he can enter our realm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts