Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inks are just so wonderful, they make things look so much nicer yet the most effort required is in remembering not to shake up the bottle so it doesn't slime you when you put the cap back on when your done.

Black ink on silver.

red, orange, or yellow ink on white.

Red or orange ink on red, STUNNING!

Inks for faces, inks for hair, inks to add that specail something to capes and wraithbone. Inks around the eyes, inks over chainmail and powerarmour joints.

I LOVE INKS!

Anyone got some particularly useful ink and base color combos?

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
I actually use flesh ink on the bases of my minis before I add some static grass.

Flesh Ink on sand gives a nice muddy look. Add some grass and you've got a perfect base with minimum effort.

I agree that inks are wonderful!

·
1,019 Posts
I use watered down black ink on red (scab red) to create nice looking cloaks and such.
And i use watered down black ink on almost everything, faces, bolters, skeletons, armor and loads more. But ofcourse other inks are great.

Yes, inks rock.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Still a noob with inks. Using black ink on shadow grey for my pulse rifles for my tau army. Kinda gives it a UMP-45 type finish. The only thing I'm tackling right now is how much ink to have on the brush when you use them. Also, should I just add water right into the ink container since I water it down every time I use it?

·
1,019 Posts
Well i just add water into the lid, and paint from there. This way i still have my supah black (when dealing with black ink) ink and i have my watered down ink in the lid.

·
Registered
340 Posts
That's a pretty good idea.

Ya, I'm thinking of undercoating with something a bit more blue. Maybe ultramarine with a something else mixed. Give it more of the UMP look. I'll post a picture for reference if anyone wants to make a suggestion.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When starting out with shading techniques, inks are great, but you will realise later inks arent all that good. They make your minis look shiny and the effect is sometimes uncontrollable. I hardly use inks anymore, only in very diluted form I sill use them (and when I need something to look shiny :)).

·
1,019 Posts
Yes, i hate the shiny look, but thats why i use watered down inks.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I often use ink in order to paint the base color, two layers of blue ink on white primer are usually better than painting it with regal blue "the normal way". It's a very even and regular coat (without these spots where normal paint sometimes is visibly thicker than on other parts), and that shine mostly disappears when i varnish them. On a clean blue a slight shine isn't that bad anyway, it can look pretty cool. With this shine you also can achieve a metallic effect, e.g. if you apply purple ink on white primer then the result looks like a strange shiny purple metal (that might be useful in order to paint the Deceiver, yellow ink...).

Inks are also essential in order to paint power weapons or marble effects.

jwu

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I noticed the shinny redness when i red inked something, but doing red ink over blood red gives it more depth, and i believe it does not shine so much when varnished, as mentioned.

Actually, aside from red ornage and yellow (the only GW inks i have), i make all my own inks from scrath in plastic condiments containers that i swipe from McDonalds when no one is looking (great for mixing paints!). For me the only reaql problem with that is that sometimes i get the water to paint ratio off (i usually wing it since i don't care i enough to remember it or write it down) and thats sometimes messy, but its almost never shinny when i do it that way.

Also, my inks almost never shine, unless i use both a GW paint and a GW ink, and since i'm not a fan of GW paints OR inks in general thats rearely an issue.

and chesnut wash for faces is great, depending on how many coats/how heavy you ink it, a "banana" color for the base with various coats of chesnut can give you all variety of skin tones almost, whch is great since my army is multy ethnic and proud of it :)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Recently i discovered another use for black ink, which i hadn't thought about before:
I primed a miniature with white spray paint, and i had started to paint it, typically by creating the base color by applying ink washes over the white mini (in this case green and brown ink since it was a death guard miniature). However, since i wanted to paint some parts of the model with metal colors, i had to re-prime these parts with black. But instead of using normal chaos black paint, i decided to use black ink for this, because i saw almost no use for it except shading metal or darkening other inks, so i wanted to get rid of it.
However, i was impressed by the effect. I had applied pure black ink in order to blacken the parts which were supposed eo be painted with metal colors, and because of the white primer the edges already looked highlighted, the metal color might be brighter on them without any further highlight. I also lost no details, because inks result in a way thinner coat than normal paint.

jwu

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use ink on models with black armour. Spray the model black then highlight it with varying shades of grey. black ink painted over this brings the highlights down so they don't look as sharp but the black still looks even. Matt varnish then takes care of the shinyness.
I also own purple ink but I never use it anymore . I used it on eldar models because it looks funky when painted over white camo stripes painted on blue.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Ok, I think inks are ok... but not great...
Most of the time I use Inks the result ends up very glossy. Now unless you want the armour or whatever to look like it's splattered with blood or muck or whatever then it usually doesn't look "nice".

Like mentioned by others I usually water down my inks, but virtually the only time I use inks is when I try to paint a wooden finish, I say try cause I haven't got it perfect yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
although i havent used it myself, my friend told me that as long as you highlight with a normal paint after inking you can get really good shading for cloaks and it loses a lot of the shinyness.

dont know if this is true but maybe someone whose used em lots could tell me

·
Registered
453 Posts
I use watered down inks. It dose tones down the Glare, but the dullcote usually finishes off the rest. Using inks strait from the pot gives an obvious shine.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I swear by Chestnut Ink when painting gold or flesh tones, and Magenta ink for my EC. About 85% of the attachment is inked.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sometimes that shiney result is really ausome. I play khorne. My bloodletters are three coats of red ink over white base. Then i varnish them with shiny varnish. This makes them apear to be red guys with wet skin which looks great.

Also inks are great for getting into cracks like the breaks in tau's armor.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I wonder what would happen, if you mixed Flow enhancer, with ink.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I like inks for most of the reasons given above, but one of my favorite uses is to tone and deepen a black. I use Plaid's Apple Barrel Colors nearly exclusively (GW metallics and Koh-I-Noor inks) and usually the black comes of looking not black enough. Throw an ink glaze on there and that takes care of the problem. It's also useful for other specific effects. For instance - Dark Angels get undercoated black, then hit with a Green Ink glaze before the normal painting sequence. Or, as I currently use, a blue ink glaze on my Tyranids' armor plates before I highlight them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.