Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new around here, and I was hoping to get some critique on an army list I've been kicking around. I've been playing Dark Angels off and on for about two years, and I know the army pretty well. Unfortunately I don't have everything I'd like to have in terms of pieces. I've got an idea what I want the army to do, but I don't have a lot of cash. Thus I don't want to go out and buy pieces that may not end up being viable in an army list.

At the moment I've got a mess of marines, characters and heavy weapons. What I currently lack is vehicles. I've been thinking about adding a couple and seeing how they change the dynamic of the list. The army I've collected is a fluff based battle company, and I try to reflect that when I build my lists.

I wouldn't call myself super competitive, but I'd like to be able to take a well built army to tournament and know I stand a pretty good chance of placing well. Most of the tourneys in my area are about 1850, which is what I've tried to build this list to. It weighs in at 1910 right now, so I'm looking to cut a few things. Anyway, here's the list...

HQ
Interrogator Chaplain w/ power fist, jump pack and melta bombs

150 pts

HQ
Librarian w/ jump pack and melta bombs

145 pts

Troops
Tactical Squad
Marines x9 w/ melta gun, multi melta
Sergeant w/ power fist and melta bombs
Rhino w/ extra armor

265 pts

Troops
Tactical Squad
Rhino w/ extra armor

265 pts

Heavy Support
Devastator Squad
Marines x9 w/ lascannon x2, missile launcher x2
Sergeant w/ power weapon and melta bombs

Heavy Support
Devastator Squad
Marines x9 w/ heavy bolter x2, plasma cannon x2
290 pts

Fast Attack
Assault Marine Squad
Marines x9

265 pts

Fast Attack
Assault Marine Squad
Marines x9

265 pts

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
Welcome to the Space Marine section, Battle Brother!

Just to let you know, here on LO we post our army lists in the race specific army list subforums. I'm going to move this thread to the Space Marine army list section.

Thread moved.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hi all,

I'm new around here, and I was hoping to get some critique on an army list I've been kicking around. I've been playing Dark Angels off and on for about two years, and I know the army pretty well. Unfortunately I don't have everything I'd like to have in terms of pieces. I've got an idea what I want the army to do, but I don't have a lot of cash. Thus I don't want to go out and buy pieces that may not end up being viable in an army list.

At the moment I've got a mess of marines, characters and heavy weapons. What I currently lack is vehicles. I've been thinking about adding a couple and seeing how they change the dynamic of the list. The army I've collected is a fluff based battle company, and I try to reflect that when I build my lists.

I wouldn't call myself super competitive, but I'd like to be able to take a well built army to tournament and know I stand a pretty good chance of placing well. Most of the tourneys in my area are about 1850, which is what I've tried to build this list to. It weighs in at 1910 right now, so I'm looking to cut a few things. Anyway, here's the list...
Welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay at LO :drinking:
HQ
Get rid of the power fist, he comes standard with a power weapon. Also you don't want to waste his good 'I'. Leave the melta bombs though just incase he comes across some vehicles.
150 pts

HQ
What powers are you giving him?
145 pts

Troops
Tactical Squad
Rhino w/ extra armor
If you are going to put all 10 in the rhino then I would get rid of the heavy weapon. But if you are just going to put the 5 with the melta gun in the rhino, I would get eather a lascannon/missile launcher or a plasma cannon. For the Sergeant, I would either get rid of the power fist and give him a power weapon. Or you can leave the power fist and get rid of the melta bombs. Because you don't need both.
265 pts

Troops
Tactical Squad
Rhino w/ extra armor
Same as above.
265 pts

Heavy Support
Devastator Squad
Marines x9 w/ lascannon x2, missile launcher x2
Again with the Sergeant. Either a power fist, or power weapon/melta bombs. Weapon setup is ok.

Heavy Support
Devastator Squad
Marines x9 w/ heavy bolter x2, plasma cannon x2
290 pts
Weapon set up is ok. Same as above for Sergeant.
Fast Attack
Assault Marine Squad
Marines x9
Same with Sergeant.
265 pts

Fast Attack
Assault Marine Squad
Marines x9

265 pts
Over all your list isn't bad. But I would suggest throwing in some Deathwing and Ravenwing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HQ
Get rid of the power fist, he comes standard with a power weapon. Also you don't want to waste his good 'I'.

I've been using the Chaplain with the Crozius Arcanum and a power fist in lieu of a pistol because I think it makes him more versatile. You get the same bonus in close combat for using an extra ccw as you do for using a pistol. The turn he charges, he either takes advantage of initiative 5 to cut down slow and lightly armored enemies, or all but assures winning a combat with 5 rerollable S8 attacks against tougher foes.

What powers are you giving him?

Dark Angels Librarians come standard with both allowable powers in their codex for no additional points. IMHO, I think DA librarians got nerfed in the new(ish) codex. Back when we got to buy them out of Codex SM, things were pretty sweet. He's really in the list for the Psychic Hood, just in case I run across Eldar or psyker heavy Chaos in a tournament. I'm actually thinking about replacing him with a Company Master.

Troops
Tactical Squad
Rhino w/ extra armor
If you are going to put all 10 in the rhino then I would get rid of the heavy weapon. But if you are just going to put the 5 with the melta gun in the rhino, I would get eather a lascannon/missile launcher or a plasma cannon. For the Sergeant, I would either get rid of the power fist and give him a power weapon. Or you can leave the power fist and get rid of the melta bombs. Because you don't need both.

You raise a valid point. There is something to be said for breaking the squad into combat squads. I'm going to try that in the next game I play, reconfiguring the squad with a lascannon instead of the multi melta. I disagree on the power fist/melta bombs point though. While both together seem like a waste of points, the extra penetration dice from the melta bombs can pop vehicles faster than one power fist attack a turn.

Over all your list isn't bad. But I would suggest throwing in some Deathwing and Ravenwing.

Yeah, a squad or two of Deathwing Terminators would probably be useful, but I'm trying to stick to the battle company theme. While I'm sure normal companies call on support from the DW and RW, I'm trying to stick with as many "green marines" as I can. I appreciate your tips and advice though. :)

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
Apart from the multi meltas, I think this is a decent list.

I disagree on the power fist/melta bombs point though. While both together seem like a waste of points, the extra penetration dice from the melta bombs can pop vehicles faster than one power fist attack a turn.

I think the sergeant should be getting 3 power fist attacks a turn (4 with charge). Besides death or glory, its only grenades that are limited to a single attack against vehicles.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Dark Angels Librarians come standard with both allowable powers in their codex for no additional points. IMHO, I think DA librarians got nerfed in the new(ish) codex. Back when we got to buy them out of Codex SM, things were pretty sweet. He's really in the list for the Psychic Hood, just in case I run across Eldar or psyker heavy Chaos in a tournament. I'm actually thinking about replacing him with a Company Master.
Yeah I forgot that you can't chose their powers :p Yeah I would also go for a company master in this, his Ld will come in handy.

I disagree on the power fist/melta bombs point though. While both together seem like a waste of points, the extra penetration dice from the melta bombs can pop vehicles faster than one power fist attack a turn.
True, but you only get 1 melta bomb attack, and like qsd said, you get 4 power fists attacks on the charge.

Yeah, a squad or two of Deathwing Terminators would probably be useful, but I'm trying to stick to the battle company theme. While I'm sure normal companies call on support from the DW and RW, I'm trying to stick with as many "green marines" as I can. I appreciate your tips and advice though. :)
I see what your saying, but going 100% "green marines" is taking a lot of the Dark Angels power away. Because the "green marines" are just regular vanilla marines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see what your saying, but going 100% "green marines" is taking a lot of the Dark Angels power away. Because the "green marines" are just regular vanilla marines.
I can see your point. I mostly started collecting the army because I think the DA's are cool, being the first legion and all. I'll agree that DW and RW are incredibly potent armies when utilized correctly, but neither entirely matches my style of play. I'm one of the few DA players I know that doesn't use either. Although a couple of squads of DW Terminators would look awesome painted up, and a pair of assault cannons is never a bad addition to an army list...

I think the sergeant should be getting 3 power fist attacks a turn (4 with charge). Besides death or glory, its only grenades that are limited to a single attack against vehicles.
*shakes head until years of 40K rules revisions fall out*

Forgot about that one. It's been so long since I've assaulted a vehicle with anything *but* melta bombs, that I'd forgotten that other weapons get more than one attack. I might run the list without melta bombs for a while and see how it does.

·
Registered
470 Posts
As for that Librarian, I strongly recommend taking a GK Brother Captain instead. With a psychic hood, and a psycannon, he costs less then a naked DA Lib. He has some shooting power, he's LD10 for the hood, and can sometimes help in CC. He is really much better then the librarian.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As for that Librarian, I strongly recommend taking a GK Brother Captain instead. With a psychic hood, and a psycannon, he costs less then a naked DA Lib. He has some shooting power, he's LD10 for the hood, and can sometimes help in CC. He is really much better then the librarian.
I've got a small force of Grey Knights kicking around, including a Grand Master modeled the way you suggest. I'm not knocking on the Grey Knights, but I think I field them once or twice a year at best. Grey Knight heroes are amazing on the battlefield, but I really can't justify the cost in anything less than 2,000 pts.

The problem would be sinking the points into a Brother Captain with one wound. The wargear and the ability to nullify psychic powers is nothing short of stunning, but if I was going to do it, I'd rather have a three wound Grand Master with the same stuff. He gets about as many attacks, and his Nemesis Force Weapon is a S6 force weapon, making him a lot more useful than a regular marine hero. The difference in points is pretty staggering though. A "built" GM weighs in at 195 with the same wargear, while the BC is 111.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to style of play. The Grand Master and Brother Captain are both excellent HQ choices, but I tend to use marine heroes for mobility on the table, and augmenting squads I know are going to end up in combat anyway. Short of a retinue of terminators and a land raider, the Grey Knight heroes don't have the same ability to perform battlefield tasks. Granted you could deep strike them, but that opens up an entirely different can of worms.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Grand Master is better, your right here and I agree that he is to expensive. I use a BC almost constantly couse my main opponent is chaos. My BC is always with a squad of deathwing terminators - they have an AC, and he has his PC, together they work in shooting like a little better LS Tornado, and in CC the 3/4 attacks with s6 and normaln ini, are always good. But you do not field terminators, nonetheless I see a place for a BC in your army. He has only one wound, so rushing him forward without a retinue is not a good idea, so attach him to your devatators. You have two units and seeing your heavy weapons choice I can say that you will divide those squads. So just attach him to those five dev with heavy bolters. He will nicely co-operate with them, since he has a just a little better heavy bolter, and he can defend them if something comes to close. Think about it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Not a bad list to start with, and welcome to LO.
I totally concur with Orange Dragon's suggestion to your Chaplain's weapons, and the the tactical squads. If you are going to pile all 10 marines in the rhino, they can't shoot the heavy weapon the same turn the jump out. If you are going to combat squad them, leaving 5 with heavy weapon behind, then you want something with much longer range then the multimelta. Again, powerfist combined with meltabombs is redundant, one or the other. And remember when making that decision/change, all dark angels have krak grenades. :)

I love the two devastator squad load outs, very nice for combat squading them. I would drop the melta bombs on the SGTs though. Leave the power weapon in case the unit gets charged, but bombs are only for vehicles, and you would rather shoot the heavy weapons at a nearby vehicle, not charge in with a SGT to use a single meltabomb.

Not sure on how useful a DA librarian with jump pack is. Their powers are limited. I would say drop him, and the powerfist on the chaplain, and that gets you well below the 1850, for some other tweaks.

Here is another thought. Put the librarian in terminator armor. Now drop one of your assault units and use the points to buy a deathwing unit with assault cannon. Have the terminators and librarian deep strike together. His power for the extra save is good for keeping termis alive from shooting, and his hellfire power is rather useful while in terminator armor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.