Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a tremendous problem beating a friend who plays Imperial Guard. We normaly play between 1000 and 1500 points. My Dark Angels have been thrashed constantly. Neither of our army lists are cheesy or unfair. My Imperial Guard friend uses a Leman Russ, a Demolisher and a Basilisk, and maybe 60 infantry, with 2 anti-tank squads. His officers don't have any gear, and sit around providing leadership for the rest of the army. I have a squad of (usually deepstriking) deathwing terminators, assault marines with an interrogator chaplain, 2 or 3 small tactical squads (sometimes in droppods), a veteran squad with my company master and a devastor squad. While I acknowledge the Guard are supposed to be shooty, I am finding that I can't even make it in to hand to hand with any intact force. What is your advice? What are some strategies that work well against static, shooty Imperial Guard?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Try some bikes with Deathwing. My Friend plays Guard as well and he gets defeated by every game. 12 bikes splittet in 4 Units. Put them all on one Flank. The enemy will not be able to bring them all down. And 20 gaurds that shoot on three bikes, that's a waste of firepower but has to be done. And if you put your units on one flank and use some cover he won't be able to shoot on your bikes with all of your units. After deploying your force on one flank, scout the bikes forward into cover. In your first turn call down the termis and "move" them 6" forwards from the bikes. So they actually "moved" in one round 18". Then go for CC with the bikes. If you're lucky they will block the LOS through the CC, if not, don't care. There are not so much weapons that will hurt termis, and when a few troops were engaged through the bikes- don't worry. Take Belial with Thunderhammer and Stormshild, 5 Termis with LCs and a Apothecary and Standart bearer and they will wipe out the whole army. This Termi squad (and i would use 1 termi squat with storm bolters and assault cannon, deploy them in the middle of the table as a fire magnet, and this second unit fills out your troop choice). You can spent the rest of your points for 6 bikes, and (at the best) for as many assault units as you can get. I personally prefer assault marines, but thats my personal preference.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Try some bikes with Deathwing. My Friend plays Guard as well and he gets defeated by every game. 12 bikes splittet in 4 Units. Put them all on one Flank. The enemy will not be able to bring them all down. And 20 gaurds that shoot on three bikes, that's a waste of firepower but has to be done. And if you put your units on one flank and use some cover he won't be able to shoot on your bikes with all of your units. After deploying your force on one flank, scout the bikes forward into cover. In your first turn call down the termis and "move" them 6" forwards from the bikes. So they actually "moved" in one round 18". Then go for CC with the bikes. If you're lucky they will block the LOS through the CC, if not, don't care. There are not so much weapons that will hurt termis, and when a few troops were engaged through the bikes- don't worry. Take Belial with Thunderhammer and Stormshild, 5 Termis with LCs and a Apothecary and Standart bearer and they will wipe out the whole army. This Termi squad (and i would use 1 termi squat with storm bolters and assault cannon, deploy them in the middle of the table as a fire magnet, and this second unit fills out your troop choice). You can spent the rest of your points for 6 bikes, and (at the best) for as many assault units as you can get. I personally prefer assault marines, but thats my personal preference.
I agree with what your saying. However i would always try to field at least 10 assault marines against the guard and then bikes.

·
is coming out to play
991 Posts
For playing against a guard army like that I normally take a squad of attack bikes with multi-meltas, land speeder tornado squad, and a full assault squad. Now from there you move them 12 inches every turn till you are in assault range for the assault squad you assault the nearest squad to you. Then you move your tornadoes shooting at his anti-tank/vehicle stuff. That should make room for your bikes to move and shoot his tank(/tanks if you don't squad em up.) Now that will take out a big threat.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My dad plays IG. And I have no trouble beating him. But ofcourse I feild Deathwing and Ravenwing. I don't like useing my normal Dark Angels against him. They not shooty/fast enough for my likeing.

I basicly have a 2 full bike squads. Each with an attack bike with Multi-melta and a land speeder. 3 terminator squads with assualt cannons, so 2 of them can deathwing assualt. 3 single Land Speeders with assualt cannons. And Sammal on a speeder.

Basicly for what you have. I would advise getting some Ravenwing.

·
is coming out to play
991 Posts
My dad plays IG. And I have no trouble beating him. But ofcourse I feild Deathwing and Ravenwing. I don't like useing my normal Dark Angels against him. They not shooty/fast enough for my likeing.

I basicly have a 2 full bike squads. Each with an attack bike with Multi-melta and a land speeder. 3 terminator squads with assualt cannons, so 2 of them can deathwing assualt. 3 single Land Speeders with assualt cannons. And Sammal on a speeder.

Basicly for what you have. I would advise getting some Ravenwing.
I only find one flaw even though this isn't a full complete list. It is very very expensive and not enough anti-vehicle. Here is how I see this turning. You move up everything your bikes are in range to shoot the multi-melta but then after you shoot you can't charge. So from there the guard will just end up putting the fire power on the bikes because it is gonna be the biggest threat towards there vehicles. But then leaves open the gap for the terminator and land speeders.
So it could work but can have it's down falls. And all the points spent on terminators I wouldn't be to wild about because one model boom there goes a nice chunk of points.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am a bit hesitant to go and buy the 130 dollar box of Ravenwing. I have two landspeeders already, one with a multi-melta. I just feel that what I need to accomplish is tying up a part of his static gunline, and use it as a line of sight blocker to bring in the rest. I've slowly learnt not to listen to the fluff and lead the way with Terminators, haha!

·
Registered
260 Posts
It seems to me that you're trying to use DA like Ultramarines and by doing that you're not using the full potential of the DA.

You must take advantage of the special DA rules by fielding at least one small Ravenwing bike squadron and one assault terminator squad with assault cannon. Deploy the bike squad always on a flank and keep the termies on reserve.

Take your scout move with care, but keep in mind that the idea is get to CC in the first turn but don't take unnecessary risks. On your turn 1, deploy the termies close to the guardsman using the homer 6" ahead of the bikers and move the bikers straight ahead to the guardsman face. Rapid fire all the twin-linked bolters, fire the AC and SB from the termies and on your assault phase, charge with the bikers, positioning them in such a way to block LOS to the the termies.

I've never lost a game to IG playing with DA. Guardsman simply are not a match to DA, period. But you cannot play DA as vanilla marines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.