Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I specifically joined this board to get opinions on this semi-fluffy 2000 pt. DA and wolves list:

HQ
Azrael
Rune Priest w/ runic armor

TROOPS

6 ravenwing bikers w/ 2 meltaguns, attack bike w/ multi melta

5 deathwing terminators w/ 2 THSS, Asscannon, storm bolters & PF's all around

5 DA Tac squad, w/ melta gun & multi-melta, drop pod

8 grey hunters w/ melta gun, MOTW, wolf standard, drop pod

8 grey hunters w/ melta gun, MOTW, wolf standard, drop pod

ELITES

3 wolf guards, 2 PF's & 2 combi-melta

FAST ATTACK

Ravenwing Darkshroud w/ Asscannon

Ravenwing Darkshroud w/ heavy bolter

HEAVY SUPPORT

5 long fangs, 4 missile launchers

Vindicator

Vindicator

The rune priest rides with one of the GH in the drop pod, Azrael drops with the 5-man tac squad, and the 3 wolf guards are split into the 2 GH units and the long fang pack, with the one with no wargear going with the longfangs.

STRATEGY

The only things on the board at the beginning of the game are the 2 Vindicators, fielded close together with a Darkshroud in the middle, and the bikes, split into 2 combat squads, one on one side of the board with the 2 meltas and a Darkshroud , and one in the middle with the vindis, and the attack bike on the other side of the board (this to split up teleport homers).

All the bikes minus the ones with the vindis scout up, and when you get to drop in reserves you teleport in the termies, and the Azrael pod and one of the WG Pods on whichever side is most convenient. Rune priest does jaws, and you unload with all the meltas and Asscannon into the enemy's exposed flank. Then, just steamroll from one side of the board to the other, advancing with the stealth vindis and the bikes and blowing anything that shows its face to oblivion.

I thought this army to be much like a Swiss Army knife, able to deal with tough elite units and heavy armor alike, as well as a good dash of population control in the form of the long fangs and the vindis. I see this army working well on boards with lots of terrain to cover the bikes' advance as well as for something for the vindis to blow up

Please let me know what you guys think about this list, and feel free to suggest any changes!

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Welcome!

Don't the Ravenwing bikers need to be at full size for combat-squadding? Maybe DA have an exception I don't know about. (I mostly do BA and Vanilla Marines.)

DeathFromTheSky said:
Then, just steamroll from one side of the board to the other
Overloading a flank is a poor tactic for a Pod-heavy offense. Once your men are down, they're walking. You also can't count on the enemy having a weak flank. He'll glance at your three Pods and know exactly how the first turn is going to play out. Hammer/anvil is generally the way to go, forcing the enemy to either camp on a table side or split his forces. You can use the Darkshrouds and Pods for the hammer and Termies/Vindicators for the anvil. No need to deepstrike the Terminators. When the enemy arrives, he can decide whether to frag your armor or heavy infantry. The one he doesn't choose will hit him good.

I generally don't recommend using Vindicators with Drop Pods even though they do well enough as an Anvil unit. Pod units engage the enemy at very close range which makes those large, powerful blasts somewhat risky. Also, a savvy opponent can do tricks like stand near an empty Pod so the Vindicator can't target them. Whirlwinds do much better. They can indirect-fire passengers after the Podders kill the transport and, if friendly fire happens, aren't nearly as bad as a Demolisher shell. Predators would be good, too. Terrain-heavy tables in particular value long-range fire support.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome!

Don't the Ravenwing bikers need to be at full size for combat-squadding? Maybe DA have an exception I don't know about. (I mostly do BA and Vanilla Marines.)

Overloading a flank is a poor tactic for a Pod-heavy offense. Once your men are down, they're walking. You also can't count on the enemy having a weak flank. He'll glance at your three Pods and know exactly how the first turn is going to play out. Hammer/anvil is generally the way to go, forcing the enemy to either camp on a table side or split his forces. You can use the Darkshrouds and Pods for the hammer and Termies/Vindicators for the anvil. No need to deepstrike the Terminators. When the enemy arrives, he can decide whether to frag your armor or heavy infantry. The one he doesn't choose will hit him good.

I generally don't recommend using Vindicators with Drop Pods even though they do well enough as an Anvil unit. Pod units engage the enemy at very close range which makes those large, powerful blasts somewhat risky. Also, a savvy opponent can do tricks like stand near an empty Pod so the Vindicator can't target them. Whirlwinds do much better. They can indirect-fire passengers after the Podders kill the transport and, if friendly fire happens, aren't nearly as bad as a Demolisher shell. Predators would be good, too. Terrain-heavy tables in particular value long-range fire support.
First off, thanks for replying with a really well-thought out comment, I really appreciate you taking the time to consider my fledgling army!

As for the bikers, 6 bikers for DA is a full squad, so I'm in the clear for that.

As for how my units come on, I think you may be right about falling completely on one flank; I had thought that I could use the bikes to quickly grab objectives towards the end of the game if they're still alive, but thinking about it now that sure is a wild bet to make... Not to mention the fact that all that muscle on one side might just be overkill...

The one thing you said that I don't agree with is that you wouldn't use the vindi's... I know it's a pretty ridiculous thing to say, but I have some serious luck with a scatter dice (hence my comfort with the drop pods hahaha), and I tend to almost never hit my own troops, even at pretty close quarters. I like to think I choose my targets well and weigh the pros and cons of shooting close to my own units so that even if I do hit my own it's not devastating. I think two vindicates also have an important scare factor to consider- a helluvalot more than two whirlwinds anyway, and also I don't even know if you could effectively use them as an anvil.

Thanks again for the reply man, I totally appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I'm thinking that 3 Wolfguard with Power Fists aren't going to DO anything. I'm thinking you're attempting a Termicide with them, so just stick with regular power weapons.
You also should max out that Long Fang squad with all MLs.
Leave the DA Tacticals at home. You have access to Grey Hunters for more Melta.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking that 3 Wolfguard with Power Fists aren't going to DO anything. I'm thinking you're attempting a Termicide with them, so just stick with regular power weapons.
You also should max out that Long Fang squad with all MLs.
Leave the DA Tacticals at home. You have access to Grey Hunters for more Melta.
Hey man, thanks for the reply;

The 3 wolf guard are going to be split up between the 2 grey hunter squads (with PF and combi-melt) in order to 1) save points on buying a sergeant with a PF with only 1 attack base and 2) get that +1 LD just in case. In total it's just. 3 point difference if I do it this way and I get an extra PF attack as well as a melta shot- totally worth it in my book. The last wolf guard gets thrown in with the long fangs in order to absorb a wound and to maintain the split fire capability for the unit. By the way, there's only 4 long fangs due to me cutting back on some points in order to fit the Darkshroud with Asscannon.

As for the DA tac squad, I just put them in to use as a payload delivery system for Azrael, who would be stuck on foot at the back otherwise- I threw in the melta and multi-melta just to make sure that whatever they drop near is toast.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I'm sorry, but your Wolfguard idea just doesn't make any sense. The Power Fist is wasted points on Grey Hunters anyway trust me. So lose them max out the Grey Hunters, and put more Melta in that way.
Azrael can hitch a ride with the Terminators. Just give them a Cyclone Missile Launcher so they can contribute while footslogging.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts