Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now, all the attention seems to be focused on winter themed armies. However, a while back several folks expressed interest in a dark bone scheme. Well, after a year of on and off scraping and painting (I am the slowest, most distractable ever :|) I have finally finished my skeleton warriors core unit. Well, other than a movement tray and sealing them.

Unit
20 Skeleton Warriors – hand weapon, shield, light armor, champion, standard bearer

Pictures
These pictures where taken under a very bright natural-daylight light. While the colors are "correct", these models appear much darker under regular florescent lighting.

Fluff
Suten Anu looked down from where he stood beside his lord atop the stepped pyramid. “They are raiders my lord, from out of the west. Their shamans seek secrets that are not theirs in places like this.”

Melek Taus, the Peacock King did not move from where he sat on the crumbling stone throne that crowned the pyramid. “Then we shall have to drive them off. I have claimed this land and its inhabitants as my own. I will not allow them to run rampant.”

“But my lord, weapons and scrolls we have in plenty, but only your personal bodyguard to bear them. Had we brought your full army as was custom, your brothers would have found your tomb—”
Melek Taus cut him off with a wave of his hand. “We are no longer in Mahrak, old friend. Should not our strength be drawn of the earth here?”

“You think of the Caves of Mourning? The bones in there have heard the Necromancer’s call, but they are older yet then anything in Nehekhara. They may not respond when I call.”

“I have greater faith in your abilities. Go now and waken them. This was their land originally. Surely they still bear some passion for it.”

--

Had his flesh still been alive, Suten Anu would have shivered stepping into the shadows of the cave complex. The air was cold and totally still, but in the deeper darkness, remnants of Nagash’s great spell and other more primal magics writhed. Nothing had disturbed the cave since Melek Taus’ army had first discovered it so long ago. No animals made their lair here. The floor of the cave was covered with the mounds of blackened skeletons. Hundreds of generations of the dead, from the time when the gods still walked the world in mortal forms, had been burned and then dumped here. Nothing more was known of them, no record was ever found even in the oldest scrolls of Zandri.

Suten Anu arranged the implements he would need and began to chant. Waking these ancients would take hours, if not days. By then it would be too late and the pyramid would be sacked. But there would still be time for revenge.

The sun had scarcely begun to set, throwing a bloody light into the mouth of the cave when the first skeleton pulled itself to the top of a heap of bone. It threw its arms wide and let out a silent scream at its birth. Soon more were dragging themselves out of the charnel piles. They gathered together as if seeking company. Some lingering instinct or memory held. These were not the mindless automatons of Nehekhara. They were aware of what they had become. But that did not matter; they were bound and they would serve.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lanny. But the work for me is just beginning. One unit does not an army make...

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
For my upcoming VC's i'm thinking of doing something quite similar, dark bone skeletons with white ribbons and white/red shields.

Looking good btw!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. They were actually pretty easy. All I did was drybrush successively lighter layers of the brown.

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
Looking at it on a better monitor now, i can see you've also shaded the banner from violet to turqoise, very very good! Rep to you! 8Y

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again. I am happy to say that that is one thing that actually shows up better under the normal florescent lighting. Since the prince's name, Melek Taus, means Peacock King, I figured I should do something that was at least vaguely reminiscent on the banner. I'll have to do more when I actually start on the prince's model itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.