Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has pitted their splintery force against the new Space Wolves army. having not played them yet I can only go off what I have heard around the forums and FLGS's. I hear of the horrors of the Rune Priests with things like JOTWW, but have yet to really see the army in action. Can you treat them as you would any other Space Marine force?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone has pitted their splintery force against the new Space Wolves army. having not played them yet I can only go off what I have heard around the forums and FLGS's. I hear of the horrors of the Rune Priests with things like JOTWW, but have yet to really see the army in action. Can you treat them as you would any other Space Marine force?
Actually I've found them easier then other SM armies due to their close combat focus. Generally speaking, we are better then them in their specialty and their shooting (although good) generally doesn't have the volume that normal SM armies do. Also Jaws of the World Wolf is highly overrated. It's good, mind you, but not OMG BROKEN like so many people say.

PS. We wolf their wolfing wolves by wolfing them with our wolves.

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jaws of the World Wolf is not all that scary after I look into it. If anyone can make their initiative save it Dark Eldar. After looking through their codex, the one psychic power that has me on edge is living lightning. Strength seven means penitrate on a 3+ and night shields are not going to do a damn thing.

What is the best answer to Rune Priests? I am not sure as to how people are running them in their lists, but I can just imagine priests in rhinos jumping out and lighting up light vehicles all willy nilly.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Jaws of the World Wolf is not all that scary after I look into it. If anyone can make their initiative save it Dark Eldar. After looking through their codex, the one psychic power that has me on edge is living lightning. Strength seven means penitrate on a 3+ and night shields are not going to do a damn thing.

What is the best answer to Rune Priests? I am not sure as to how people are running them in their lists, but I can just imagine priests in rhinos jumping out and lighting up light vehicles all willy nilly.
Note: S7 means it penetrates on a 4+, glances on a 3. =p

In any case, Living Lightning isn't that hard to deal with. It's unlimited range but it still needs line of sight and still needs to hit with it's to-hit roll. Also, The rune priest can't use it if they are locked in assault. Lastly, It is still a psyker power and thus needs a psyker test (a minor issue since the Rune Priest is LD10 but still a factor).

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry did not mean to type in a 3+...long day at work. It does look to be a bit scary as I believe you can spam up to four Rune priests. I am not sure as to how that would effect the rest of the list as that would be one hell of a point sink into four models.

Other than Rune Priests, what is there that needs to be known about Space wolves.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've played against the new space wolves a few times. I treated them like normal marines the first time and they weren't much different. The first guy I played wanted to try Bjorn. He's cool but nothing overpowering (unless the other player makes all his saves). The long fang thing where they can shoot at multiple stuff is tough, not sure if that is new. And its not so different from broadsides so the concept isn't totally new, but it means he isn't wasting 4 lascannons to kill a raider.

The psyker(rune priest?) that I fought didn't impress me really. He had some ability to give people near him a cover save I believe and the JotWW. Since we have high init it didn't do much. But he only used it once since I blew his land raider turn 1. Thats my experience with them. I'll treat them like marines still until I see something new.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Living Lightning and the one that makes all terrain dangerous for skimmers (Tempest's Wrath?) are probably the big ones to worry about. Toloran doesn't sound worried, but I'd say Living Lightning is a pretty clear threat there. It's an assault D6 Autocannon that can droppod in right next to you (or stay on the other side of the board-- it's range is freaking unlimited!) and fire at BS5 with a Chooser of the Slain. And there can be 4 of them, each then with a separate utility power. Not saying it's unbeatable, but don't underrate it.

Beyond that, in a lot of ways they're just like regular marines or CSMs with some slight variation. Depending on the exact build of the army I can see them being about the same or slightly easier to deal with, being as they can be built to be elite and the whole army made up of only a few points heavy units. Dissies still kill you just the same even with your fancy wolf tooth necklaces and belt-fed assault cannons, and Wyches can still make you suck in combat.

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are a couple of things I have a mard time wrapping my head around when it comes to marines and the new Sapce Wolf codex. Rune Priests can camp out in rhinos and cast their spells through a fire slot and each rhino of theirs has two I believe. You would have to destroy their rhino before you can ever assault them. Living Lightning just screams raider death to my. say a raider jumps out from behind terrain and Dark Lances a rhino. Now one of two things happen. The DL misses and the Priest returns fire on the next turn. Or the DL destroys the rhino and the priest dusts himself off and returns fire the next turn. I would almost have to say that it would be best to run empty raiders against three or four priests.

Another thing I have a hard time figuring out is Land Speeders. I posted a thread in the Space marine forum a while ago to discuss different build of Land Speeders. Since then I have been trying to figure out what DE can do to stop them. I suppose we could just Lance them to death, but if you are doing that then you are probably not Lancing other scary things like Landraiders, and such. Perhaps some of you fine folks out there posting on Librarium can shed some light on this for me.

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After getting the chance to play a game vs Space Wolves today I must say that they are one tough cookie. Unfortunately I lost but that was due more to the fact that I had way more kill points on the table than my opponent. As far as the Rune Priests? They are a pain in the ass, no doubt about that. Living lightning is most assuredly a Raider and Ravager killer. Murderous Hurricane also kills Warriors whole sale.

What else?...oh yeah...Long Fangs = more scary death. When they are in cover it is one hell of a thing to do to get rid of them.

One of the elements that I had questions about on in my last post on this thread came up. Three Land Speeders with the HF/MM build came out via reserve. I tried to shoot the crap out of them with my DL's but they were able to do some good damage right from the table edge.

At the end I still had fun loosing. I don't think that Space Wolves are going to break the game, but it sure as heck takes some getting use to. I really would like to see another game with the same list but only with the whole annihilation scenario. I guess the one down side to raider rush lists is the high KP factor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have played against the space wolves, and found them fairly simple to beat. However, I think thats due to the guy using them not been the best player in the world.

He had 2 15 man strong squads of bloodclaws (the CC ones, I think thats them) and tried to take out my 2 squads of wyches in CC. Needless to say he didnt win either assault. His other thing that worries me was the long fangs, as I saw him use them very effectivly the day before against my friends tyranid army. However, he deployed them further forward than I expected, and in the first turn I managed to take out all 5 with my ravager.

He did have a run priest as his commander, and that was one nasty part. It took out my ravager fairly easily on turn 2.

One thing I found amusing, he has that special character, the guy on the big wolf. In the second game I played against him, he charged my HQ unit (archon, Drazhar and 4 incubi) single handedly. And seemed genuinly shocked when I destroyed him before he got a hit off, haha.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
After getting the chance to play a game vs Space Wolves today I must say that they are one tough cookie. Unfortunately I lost but that was due more to the fact that I had way more kill points on the table than my opponent. As far as the Rune Priests? They are a pain in the ass, no doubt about that. Living lightning is most assuredly a Raider and Ravager killer. Murderous Hurricane also kills Warriors whole sale.

What else?...oh yeah...Long Fangs = more scary death. When they are in cover it is one hell of a thing to do to get rid of them.

One of the elements that I had questions about on in my last post on this thread came up. Three Land Speeders with the HF/MM build came out via reserve. I tried to shoot the crap out of them with my DL's but they were able to do some good damage right from the table edge.

At the end I still had fun loosing. I don't think that Space Wolves are going to break the game, but it sure as heck takes some getting use to. I really would like to see another game with the same list but only with the whole annihilation scenario. I guess the one down side to raider rush lists is the high KP factor.
What you just played against is IMO one of their strongest builds - probably their GT build even - Rune Priest spam. For what they can do and also for their psychic defense, RP's give "a great bang for the buck". Every time I've use mine so far, they usually make their points back easily. Now, psychic defense has become more important than ever in GT play with dual-lash, farseers, psyker battle squads and now RP-spam. RP's give you the best of both world - psychic offense and defense.

Jaws is over-hyped unless you're playing against nidzilla or necrons (and a few other non-mech lists). You're right on the money with their most dangerous powers - Living Lightning and Murderous Hurricane. LL is easily agreed upon by MEQ players as their best power in this age of mech. MH will just pulverize GEG's (T3 4+/5+ models - Guard equivalents).

The other very dangerous SW unit are their Long Fangs. They are just amazing! And very cheap to boot. For 140pts, you can get a LF unit w/5 missile launchers who can split their fire between 2 targets. Put them in cover and they are really tough to get rid of. Any self-respecting SW list needs at least 2 units of LF's. Basically the RP-Long Fang combo is similar to the dual lash-oblit combo - they just work great together and is death to mech armies with all the living lightning and split-fire AT they have there.

As with any army, SW's have their good builds and bad ones. I don't think a lot of people have got the hang of them yet as the codex is still relatively new, but when they do, you'll be hearing a lot more about the SW's in the upcoming tournies.

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With a Horrorfex I doubt you will be pulling it off as often as you would think. With all of the Ravagers with Disi's running around a Marine player would have to be a foll to group up his five man squad of Devs or Fangs or what have you. at most I would think, you would hit two on a blast marker giving a minus one to the leadership roll. That is less than great. If you are firing into Fangs, chances are they are in cover and since this is your raider you are only gonna be using your one DL that will end up saving due to cover. I for one am not a huge fan of the Horrorfex as all it takes is for someone to realise that they can space out their unit to the maximum of squad cohesion . (A practice that far too few people practice I have noticed)

·
Registered
322 Posts
A DE player who knows what his doing will easily beat SW due to the fact they relie on combat so much,DE can take advantage of that and manipulate where assaults get taken place,not to mention we can shoot them to death and clean whatever remains with assault units such as wychs and incubi.

I run 3 ravager 3x disses on each and put is this way i destroy on average 2-3 units a turn with just that not to mention the 13 dark lances i have waiting to pop vehicles.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
A DE player who knows what his doing will easily beat SW due to the fact they relie on combat so much,DE can take advantage of that and manipulate where assaults get taken place,not to mention we can shoot them to death and clean whatever remains with assault units such as wychs and incubi.
This is just not true anymore. Sure, a lot of their builds are assault-oriented w/wolf lords or named characters. You will have an easier time with those, though even that isn't guaranteed, considering when you assault them, they normally get 3 attacks each on the counter-charge. However, a balanced wolf list could be very shooty as well. They could possibly outshoot DE with their long fangs (if not with quantity than with range). Consider that they could take this in a typical 1500 list:

6 Long Fangs - 5x missile launchers - 140

Now they've got 3 units that can target 6 raiders/ravagers. Then their rune priest w/Living Lightning can take out another raider with d6 autocannon shots.

On top of that, they can take 3 dreadnoughts w/assault cannons at 105 per or land speeders w/assault cannons or typhoon missile launchers at 90 per. All 3 of those units combined are only 790-835pts...still plenty of room to fill up with grey hunters in rhinos.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.