Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Monkey Pirate
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so a friend of mine and I were talking about making a Dark Eldar Spider Titan thing. The basic idea of it being that Hive cities present a wealth of slaves for greedy Archons, but humble raiding parties don't really have the power to get through all the defenses/defenders. So what if the Dark Eldar wanted to take the city down and use it for their own twisted purposes? Enter the Spider Titan (name isn't done yet)

The basic idea is were going to build something about the size of a warhound/ hierophant. 8 mechanical legs are going to be supporting the main body. The body itself is going to have a large slave cage on top. On the under side of the body are going to be these tentacle things. If you have seen War of the Worlds the things the tripods use to pick up people is what we are going for here/

Now heres the problem we have NO clue how to make these tentacles. Preferably using stuff we can find laying around a house or at a hardware/ craft store,kinda reluctant to order crap off line.
If anyone has suggestions thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Some friends of mine have mentioned a similar idea for a "Dark Eldar Slave Walker" thing. What they wanted to use as the base was the Covenant Scarab from the HaloClix game. All you would need for that would be some spikes and greenstuff, and some appropriately shabby looking human models to go in the "slave cage".

Here's the Scarab they wanted as a base, if you haven't seen it:
FRP Games - Your Gaming Resource

As far as the tentacles go, you could probably use just about any spare cable from old electronics. And if you want to make that cable more rigid/thick/textured, just wrap it in greenstuff as you see fit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
For the tentacles I would probably suggest wire with green stuff molded around it. I also think that you could use multiple defiler legs as the mechanical legs. Probably two/three defiler legs to a leg.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
depending on the type of tentacles,
I think a more mechanical look would be good, and for that I would cut up a bunch of pieces of plasticard rod about 5mm or more thick, and glue wire to the segments on the inside and gs each one bit by bit...
Don't know if that makes sense But I get it.
Another way, if you have some wires laying around that are still in insulation, like a playstation controler cord, or something similar, buy some rod thats the perfect size to fit around it and there is your solution.

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
To make those tentacles you should start out with a basic wire frame from them which is rather easy. The problem you will have is what to cover these 'wire' tentacles with and what should go on the end. There are several materials you could use to wrap around your tentacles. You could try green stuff by stretching it into strips and then wrapping it around the tentacle as if it is like a rubber band. This would give you a kind of segmented look to the tentacles.

You could also look into other materials. Thread such as is used in sewing could be soaked in PVA and wrapped around the wire. You could then coat this in PVA again to remove any obvious signs that it is thread.

You could also try to use razorwire, like this here.

Games Workshop Online Store — Razor Wire

Dark Eldar have a thing about pain so razorwire would be good. You could just wrap it all around the tentacle as nasty unpleasantness for any unfortunate folk in it's path. The razorwire could even be shown as working on it's own and that is is in someway alive, such as in Silent hill or Hellraiser. You should also think about what should go on the end of the tentacle. You could try a big hook or a kind of sucker for scooping people up.

·
Watcher In The Sky
1,083 Posts
Pipecleaners?

Wrapped around with the razorwire. Means your wire tentacle doesnt need bulking out (and the painting ought to de fluff the pipecleaner).

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Would thick guitar wire be of any use? It's already got a kind of spiral effect (wire wrapped around the outside), which means you don't have to do a lot of extra work.

I'm not sure how well it bends or holds its shape, though, so unless you can bend it to your liking it might not be all that useful to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts