Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
kut maar krachtig
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well dear Necron players I'm fighting a dark eldar army (no clue what kind) next week and need some tackticale help or maybe army list suggestions. Because i haven't played the dark ancient yet I haven't got a clue what they are like or what to do against them.

So any suggestion or tips are apreciated! :D Thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
If your fighting eldar(of any kind) you should mass your units. You should seek first to make your army unbreakable and then attempt to break your enemies army.

What you'll find is that against small and fast moving elite armies, you'll beat them in a war of attrision. They're potent and quick units will blunt themselves on your tougher and more solid lines and you'll see them bounce off as there uniits smash into your phalanx(okay maybe I'm just going off the deep end now with all this tactica talk, I feel like like a mix of King leonidas and Sun Tsu or something.:p)

But seriously, just play your usual game. Try to out muscle him, and blow stuff up with massed flayer fire. Hope I helped

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
Monolith. It'd be very helpful for you to take a Monolith. Dark Eldar normally struggle very little against vehicles of any kind due to the sheer number of dark lances that they can field but the Living Metal rule of the Monolith will make it very hard to deal with.

I'd also suggest units of Destroyers. They're fast enough to keep up with the Dark Eldar Raiders and have the firepower to blow any of their units off of the table in a single round if you roll half-decently.

Don't expect to beat him in close combat, though. The Dark Eldar have some of the deadliest combat units in the game (Wyches and Incubi come to mind). A unit of Immortals and a Lord with a Veil of Darkness and Res Orb will probably be very handy for stopping these units from getting into combat with you in the first place (or fleeing if you do end up getting caught). This is also something the Monolith can help you with - just pull your units out of combat and shoot the bejeezus out of your attackers.

Above all, don't try to beat them at their own game. The Dark Eldar are easily the fastest army in the game and will always win any sort of race. Try to keep your units fairly close together and blow them apart.

Good luck,

Katie D

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Good convo about this earlier on Chat. Just to clarify, its a 1K game. making the Lith option difficult.

I think we came to the conclusion of a Lord w/ VoD, 7 Immortals, 2x3 Destroyers, 2x10 Warriors, and if youre me... some scarabs lol.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I find scarabs chew threw eldar nicely. They should chew through their dark kin as well. Especially the "sniper" squads everyone talks of. Take 5-10 bases to eat through those stationary "sniper" squads. That will stop those pesk dark lances. At least it seems good on paper.

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
I find scarabs chew threw eldar nicely. They should chew through their dark kin as well. Especially the "sniper" squads everyone talks of. Take 5-10 bases to eat through those stationary "sniper" squads. That will stop those pesk dark lances. At least it seems good on paper.
Just hope the DE don't have many shredders or disintegrators. :|

·
kut maar krachtig
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well seeing all your posts and the chat session tha afternoon I think i will use the following list:

Lord VoD (yeah no res orb but need the points badly

6 immortals

10 warriors
10 warriors

3 destroyers
3 destroyers

988 pts.

yeah would love some more scarabs and immortals but think i will need the destroyers to stop the raiders. don't think i can loose the 2de destroyer squad or can I ???????

·
Registered
107 Posts
<snip>

3 destroyers
3 destroyers

988 pts.
Your points are off a little. You have room for one more immortal!

Just now, I tried this list in a cleanse mission against my assault-y BTs, and it played well. Necrons won 3 quarters to none. All that rapid fire plus the destroyers is really harsh. I just laid waaay back and made the marines be the first to come forward. The jump-packed Marshal got hold of the immortals and lightning-clawed four of them down, but the rest veiled out and he was left standing there to die horribly to massive rapid fire. :p The destroyers zipped around for a flank shot on the Emperor's Champ's rhino, and even though it had popped smoke there were enough glances to roll a "vehicle destroyed" and force the EC and his pistol squad to hoof it. Next turn, they got gunned down hard. Termies tried to deep strike in close and got the same treatment, with only one of the five surviving to make the assault, and the rest was easy cleanup. The destroyers are great for turboing around to grab the table corners at the end, too. I'm new to Necrons, but I think I like them. 8Y I like your list!

·
Registered
107 Posts
well considering immortals are 28 points i won't be able to fit one in the 12 pionts I have left but yeah Idea is to make good use of the VoD and lay down some massive fire on the raiders
Ah, sorry, you're right. I was counting the veil the same cost as an orb by mistake. Doh! :p
Just ran my battle again, but this time the marines focused on the destroyers first and the termies dropped in at a safe distance and gave fire support while moving in together with the other units. Phase out in turn five. Gah!

I'll check back to hear how your DE battle came out. Good luck! :)

·
LO Zealot
1,568 Posts
Idea is to make good use of the VoD and lay down some massive fire on the raiders
Just don't veil as long as they have any disintegrators still on the board - you don't want to take the chance of having a wound-on-2's AP enough blast weapon hitting your ringed immortals. With a couple other shots, they could potentially wipe out the entire squad in one round.

'Course, dissies need to be on raiders / ravagers, which are very vulnerable to any shooting by immortals and destroyers. Still, use caution if he's got those. :p

·
LO Zealot
1,568 Posts
The dissies don't have a high enough strength to insta-kill you, so you really don't need an orb for it... you just need to not be in a deep-strike position for the blast to have full effect. I think the destroyers would help you out more with their mobility and high strength weapons. They will decimate the DE vehicles.

·
Weirdboy
289 Posts
Monolith. It'd be very helpful for you to take a Monolith. Dark Eldar normally struggle very little against vehicles of any kind due to the sheer number of dark lances that they can field but the Living Metal rule of the Monolith will make it very hard to deal with.
This is 100% true. Most Necron lists usually take a Monolith anyway, but a tank that the DE can't kill easily(except with luck) drives them nuts. Not only that but, the fact that you can cycle Necrons through will allow you to systematically eliminate each squad...one at a time.

I'd also suggest units of Destroyers. They're fast enough to keep up with the Dark Eldar Raiders and have the firepower to blow any of their units off of the table in a single round if you roll half-decently.
This can be applied to most of games you will play, the high strength and low AP of their weapons combined with the amount of shots will allow a player to blow any squad away in a turn or two.(12" moving Heavy Bolters:D)

Don't expect to beat him in close combat, though. The Dark Eldar have some of the deadliest combat units in the game (Wyches and Incubi come to mind).
Not really much to worry about, contrary to popular belief. Due to your toughness and armor save you should be able to turn away Wyche attacks with ease. Then pull out with the monolith and massacre the squad. Incubi however will cause minor problems IF you don't have a res orb in range. This is key! Just weather the storm of power weapons, and pull out...repeat until they are gone.
Second weakness of Incubi besides their Space Marine cockiness for their elf size, is that they don't have fleet! Use this to your advantage. Down their transport and watch the DE player cry as they die;Y

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.