Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'd like some opinions/critique on this army list. I'm thinking of taking it to tournament eventually, but I don't own all the models for it yet. Needless to say, I don't want to go out and spend upwards of $500 on models (I already own a DE army, but I'm starting from scratch again) and have the list perform poorly.

Anyway, the idea behind the list is that the army is drawn from the city of Karond Kar, the city of the Beastmasters. (I have a thing for thematic armies). As such, I wanted it to be representative of all the cool beasties the Dark Elves can use. I think the list I've built is strong, but I'm not sure if its exactly balanced.

To truly capture the flavor of the army and include everything I want to field, it seems like I might have to min/max the list, which isn't something I want to do. Even in tournament play, I don't want to take an unbalanced army. Having been on the receiving end of a few tourney beatings, I can say with certainty that those types of armies aren't fun to play against. Anyway, here's the list. It currently comes out to around 2400 pts, so any suggestions on what to tweak and what to cut are appreciated.

Hero
Beastmaster
Lance
Armor of Darkness
Manticore

259 pts

Hero
Sorceress
lvl 2
Seal of Ghrond
Dispel Scroll

180 pts

Hero
Sorceress
lvl 2
Tome of Furion

145 pts

Core
Dark Elf warriors w/ shields
full command

185 pts

Core
full command

185 pts

Core
full command

185 pts

Special
Cold One Chariot x2
Spears x2

194 pts

Special
Cold One Knights x10
full command

335 pts

Special
Cold One Knights x10
full command

335 pts

Special
Harpies x10

130 pts

Rare
War Hydra

220 pts

Rare
War Hydra

220 pts

That's pretty much it. Everything is pretty mobile for the most part, and even the chariots move a respectable 7 inches a turn. The idea behind it is to charge units that are a serious threat with more that one unit, and at least one unit that causes fear. Combining the warriors and a chariot or the warriors and a hydra are enough to break most units, especially if the Cold One Knights come in on the flank.

At the moment I'm pretty pleased with it for the most part, but I'm thinking of changing a few things. I'd like to add a few magic banners, specifically the Banner of Murder to help my Cold One Knights with charge distances, or the Standard of Slaughter for some quick combat res boost on the first charge. I'm also thinking of adding two knights to each unit and fielding them in three ranks of four. What does anyone else think?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hmmm it a nice list, but you have alot of points stacked in the CoK, cut down to units of 6-7 that is still massive! getting that extra rank with calvary isn't point affective. Knock out a few. Another thing is that IMHO dark riders are one of the best fast cav units in the game, a must go to battle unit for me. Also shades are quite nice but not as necassary - I prefer them over harpies as they have better LD and are better warmachine hunters- You have respectable magic defence and offence, i like your leader choices. try cutting down on the cold ones as said as well as 1 unit of spearmen. 10 harpies is very exspensive, i find that 6 shades are excellent at march blocking and war machine hunting, only 84p

Your army is currentley 2573 points so it is pritty expensive...

·
Registered
139 Posts
ok heres a list that i think would work fairly well:

Leaders
Lord
Highborn: Manticore, Draich of power (S6, killing blow 2 hands), Hearstone of darkness (4+ ward) heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, shield

heroes

Mage lvl 2, despell scroll seal of ghrond

Mage lvl 2 tomb of furion

Core

20 spearmen, shields command

20 spearmen, shields command

6 dark riders, bows muscician

Special

7 cold ones, command

2 chariots spears

6 shades

Rare

2 war hydras

this list is 2254p, if you dont like dark riders that unit is 151p, also the highborn is not necassary but is much better than a beastmaster...if you kick those to units you'll have points to play with, i liked your calvary+ large infantry block ideas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok,

I gutted the list for the most part, brought it down to 2250 (2248 actually) and changed a few unit selections in favor of effectiveness instead of fluff. Here it is...

Lord
Highborn
Heavy Armor
Shield
Sea Dragon Cloak
Lance
Black Amulet
Manticore

389 pts

Hero
Sorceress
Lvl 2
Dispel Scroll
Seal of Ghrond

180 pts

Hero
Sorceress
Lvl2

130 pts

Core
Warriors x20
Shields
Full Command

185 pts

Core
Warriors x20
Shields
Full Command

185 pts

Core
Warriors x20
Shields
Full command

185 pts
(I'm thinking about dropping this unit in favor of two units of 5 Dark Riders w/ RxBs)

Special
Cold One Chariot x2
Spears x2

194 pts

Special
Cold One Knights x5
Full command

235 pts
(now cut to bare bones and to be used exclusively for flank charges and the like)

Special
Cold One Knights x5
Full Command

235 pts

Rare
Reaper Bolt Thrower x2

200 pts
(I caved and threw them in because they're so awesome)

Rare
War Hydra

220 pts

That should be just about the points value I was aiming for. The 2+/5+ on the Highborn will give him a lot more survivability than the Beastmaster would have had. I'm not sure I like the changes to the cavalry though. The Cold One Knights only need to lose two models for a leadership test, and any more than that prevents them from negating rank bonus.

I'm not sure about the Dark Riders either. I use them currently, and their 18 inch charge range is awesome, but I find them to be fragile. I'm also not sure I want to cut my third block of ranked troops for two units of horsemen that will die on a 3 to the first handgun that comes along. Thoughts on the revisions?

·
Registered
139 Posts
looking realy realy realy good! i know what you mean about 5xcoldones, personally i like to take six. Ld nine should mean that they won't be failing LD tests any time soon...also check the rules for stupidity, i believe it makes the unit immune to phycology...(from memory, could be old rules) dark riders are very fragile but kick pants....swing down the flanks, march block, run round the back, pepper units and when your combat units munch your apponents units, they flee right into the fast cav....bye bye fleeing units =D has worked well for me many times. RxB's are awsome! good choice, always take them in pairs though, looks very nice.

·
Registered
470 Posts
This list looks really nice, but you need some fast units. For the points of one of your warrior units you can squeeze to units of 5 dark riders with a musician, or a unit of 5 dark riders with crossbows, and a unit o harpies. After those minor changes your army should perform pretty well on the battle field.

·
Registered
10 Posts
the problem with this list that i see is the highborn, although he has much better protection all the opponents guns will be aimed at him, this isn't necesarily bad, i use a manticore myself, exept that the highborn is the army general. That being said, manticores normaly are deployed on a flank in some cover, then make a huge move and get into combat with a lesser opponent. This means that being on the flank or out in front of your army your other units won't benefit from his leadership. If you must have a manticore I suggest a beastmaster, not as huge but saves you some points and the hassle of losing your general to a lucky cannon shot.

Other than that the only changes I would make are the boosting of the cold one units up to 6-7 models each, dropping a warrior unit for dark riders and shades seems like a good swap, so far I'm liken the list

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.