Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my first session with Dark Heresy and am thinking of starting my own campaign. I am wondering if anyone else has played this system and what do they think about it.

·
529 Posts
I'm still reading through my copy but I have a passel of folks keen to be acolytes, so stay tuned.

I'd certainly be interested to compare notes on running a DH game: system, setting, exploits, glitches and fixes.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The system it self is pretty good, although too detailed for my taste (it's easy to get lost in the number of skills).

I'll gm it, and am really looking forward to setting up a dark, oppressive atmosphere :)

As rules go, I've made the following changes:
- fate and fortune pts are separate. What you rolled are fortune pts, used for bonuses, and that you recuperate at the end of each session. Fate pts are hidden from you, and will make the difference between life and death
- Fortune pts cannot be used to recuperate D5 wounds. Instead, you can use them to substract D3 wounds from damage you are taking, at the time this damage is inflicted
- Opposed tests are resolved even if both parties fail, instead of re-rolling. Example: You're trying to silently walk past a guard and fail your silent move test by 2 degrees. However, since the guard failed his test by 4 degrees, you do not attract his attention.
- To be tested: all skill tests when a character has the requested skill receive an automatic +10 bonus (i.e. equivalent of being "easy" tests), except combat tests and opposed tests. It's just too hard to succeed otherwise. If I (the GM) announces modifiers, they are applied on top of this +10. If you're rolling an investigate skill test with a Fellowship of 38 and I announce it'll be at -10, the total to roll under will be: 38+10-10=38.

·
529 Posts
AKM,

Interesting changes - I like. Your suggestion for resolving tests if everyone fails will certainly streamline things, and is even in flavour - "I stuffed up, but you stuff up worse". Very 2000AD, somehow.

Re the universal +10, if you look more closely at the tables of modifiers for various things it looks like most characters will be able to pull up at least a +10 by having the right equipment, aiming before shooting etc. The system seems designed to be harsh as a default rather than reasonable as a default, so it tends to be generous with the plusses rather than generous with the negatives. As a GM, you can also tend to arm-wave characters will succeed on reasonable tasks rather than rolling for them - a bit like the Take 10 or Take 20 in D20.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm using this +10 only for non-combat situations, as I've noticed that otherwise, it's more likely to horribly fail a test than to simply succeed at it. Basically, I've made all "challenging" tests one step easier, but only if you have the skill.
The fact that a trained medic with 38 (pretty high intelligence) has only a 38% chance of helping a patient to heal is kinda scary. Even if you add+20 for equipment, it's barely above 50%.
But to each GM its own. I'm a brutal GM when it comes to punishing stupid players who dive head-first into combat, but like to reward investigations and intelligence, and I want my players to feel that their characters are a cut above the rest. Flunking easy tests is very frustrating for players.

·
Monkey Pirate
452 Posts
I just played it tonight. I love it. The detail on everything is more or less how i run my campaigns in WoD and DnD so it meshes perfectly with my test. My favorite aspect of it (least so far) is how easy it would be to bring in stuff from else where in 40k. Using say Dark Eldar for an example make it so the dude has roughly 30-50 for his weapon skill and ballistic skill like 20-40 for strength ect. That and combat is a blast (often quite literally) I was playing a guardsmen who rolled insane for his strength (after spending some experience) he ended up with 57. Only downside was all his other stats were pathetic. When the other players had finished it turned out he was accompanied by 2 psykers and an assassin that promptly bit the dust. The remaining psykers and the guardsmen ended up getting into a fight with some hive gang members... well things went down hill when the first one failed his check and summoned a demon by mistake. Later as the combat was finishing up (me horribly broken) the other psyker screwed up and reversed gravity.
All and all my first impression was very favorable, so much that i offered to run a campaign ( which in hind sight may have been a bad idea with all ready running 2 dnd campaigns)

·
Level 20 Alpharius
320 Posts
I have started running a game Dark Heresy with some friends, a decent party of 5 so far with a possible 6th on his way, and let me tell you its been very good, very immersing and even though I haven't had the chance to engage the party in a combat scene yet (they are a very social group Emperor bless) I can tell from theorizing the system that its gonna be balls tighteningly exquisite.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm working up things to start a DH game with me as the gm. Unfortunatly it is my first time and I'm probably being too cruel to my group. I've got five and I've already got about three main baddies for them to fight in it.

A chaos magnos who's been blessed by the chaos gods a couple of times.

A ganger who's got some muscle backing him up.

And a pair of twin psyker girls who turn out to be a daemonhost after the first turn.

The main problem I've got is just how to fill up the events leading up to these battles.

The opener I've got is this group of acolytes being brought in to assist in figuring out why a chapel and all the people in it were killed and desecrated.

If anyone could help me out in this I'd appreciate it.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
AKM said:
Basically, I've made all "challenging" tests one step easier, but only if you have the skill.
The fact that a trained medic with 38 (pretty high intelligence) has only a 38% chance of helping a patient to heal is kinda scary.
When I've been GM-ing (not this system but others) I've been a bit more loose on the int-based skills. If you roll really bad, don't prepare for it or are in a very tight spot then sure you can fail.But if it's being properly roleplayed I've used the skill-level more of a way to determine how much you know and/or how fast you get results.

I replied mainly to subscribe to this thread as pen and paper is so close to my heart...

:drinking:

·
426 Posts
I'm working up things to start a DH game with me as the gm. Unfortunatly it is my first time and I'm probably being too cruel to my group. I've got five and I've already got about three main baddies for them to fight in it.

A chaos magnos who's been blessed by the chaos gods a couple of times.

A ganger who's got some muscle backing him up.

And a pair of twin psyker girls who turn out to be a daemonhost after the first turn.

The main problem I've got is just how to fill up the events leading up to these battles.

The opener I've got is this group of acolytes being brought in to assist in figuring out why a chapel and all the people in it were killed and desecrated.

If anyone could help me out in this I'd appreciate it.
I've been patrolling this thread for a while, mainly because I love Dark Heresy. I see the conundrum you're facing, but while I can't tell you how to make other events, I can tell you what I did.

I play WH40k Tyranids (as well as many, many other armies) and I noted that GENESTEALER CULTS would make a great enemy and plot line! Inquistorial factions, especially Ordo Xenos would go to any length to knock out a potential Genestealer uprising, so this fit my fluffy requirement, really.

I knew I wanted a Broodlord/ Patriarch running the whole shindig, mainly because I have a sick Broodlord conversion model (we play with models). Just like you, I had a big baddie, but not much else.

I then broke out an old, old version of the Genestealer Cult codex. I made a hierarchy of badguys, lining the criminal ladder. Basically it went: (1 being Top, 2 being next in line, etc. The subscripts like 1a. are just for simplicity's sake)

1) Broodlord
1a) Second in Command, equally important MAGUS
- under Magus, HYBRID HIERARCH
2) Genestealer Strain- two types: Warrior and Shadow Stalker
3) Hybrid Stealers
4)Brood Brothers
5) Initiates (normal humans)
5) Infected (humans with a little Genestealer blood that the Hive Mind can slightly shape)

After I had a actual net of enemies and the ultimate plot idea to destroy the Genestealer infestation, comes the small details about finding evidence, locating the baddies, reversing infections, etc. etc. (the last bit hasn't really come yet)

I hope this may help you create an adventure of your own! If anyone is interested in seeing the stats I created or wants to hear more, just drop me a line here on this thread!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've been patrolling this thread for a while, mainly because I love Dark Heresy. I see the conundrum you're facing, but while I can't tell you how to make other events, I can tell you what I did.

I play WH40k Tyranids (as well as many, many other armies) and I noted that GENESTEALER CULTS would make a great enemy and plot line! Inquistorial factions, especially Ordo Xenos would go to any length to knock out a potential Genestealer uprising, so this fit my fluffy requirement, really.

I knew I wanted a Broodlord/ Patriarch running the whole shindig, mainly because I have a sick Broodlord conversion model (we play with models). Just like you, I had a big baddie, but not much else.

I then broke out an old, old version of the Genestealer Cult codex. I made a hierarchy of badguys, lining the criminal ladder. Basically it went: (1 being Top, 2 being next in line, etc. The subscripts like 1a. are just for simplicity's sake)

1) Broodlord
1a) Second in Command, equally important MAGUS
- under Magus, HYBRID HIERARCH
2) Genestealer Strain- two types: Warrior and Shadow Stalker
3) Hybrid Stealers
4)Brood Brothers
5) Initiates (normal humans)
5) Infected (humans with a little Genestealer blood that the Hive Mind can slightly shape)

After I had a actual net of enemies and the ultimate plot idea to destroy the Genestealer infestation, comes the small details about finding evidence, locating the baddies, reversing infections, etc. etc. (the last bit hasn't really come yet)

I hope this may help you create an adventure of your own! If anyone is interested in seeing the stats I created or wants to hear more, just drop me a line here on this thread!
I would love to know a bit more about those genestealer cults (since I don't no anything about these things)
It's my first time I organise a RPG session, and some of my friends never played an RPG before...

Anyway, I'm intrested in those stats/story/advice in general

Greets HH

·
Monkey Pirate
452 Posts

Greets HH
What i have been thinking about doing for stats is just using the core stats from 40k and tweaking it a little bit. Like for example. You want all space marines and genestealers and things of that nature to have a toughness more or equivalent to 4 in 40k terms. So when rolling up the npcs what i've been doing is adding say 30 to those rolls. This give me stats normally in the 40s some times as far as 50 but thats ok cause no one is perfect. (man if you read some of those space wolf books... I can't recall the one dudes name but he dwarfed other marines by a couple of feet)

Story I'm a little lacking on. I know very little about genestealer cults. I would like to learn though cause i think it would be an interesting thing to working to my campaign im running- I have just the place.

·
426 Posts

Greets HH
Sorry about the long response time... it's been hectic here before Spring Break and whatnot.

About Genestealer Cuts...

You're just looking at plenty of Average Joe civilians caught up in the heyday of a rebellion. Then the alien hybrids and the big bad Genestealers them selves. Nasty critters. Though on tabletop I'm normally on the bolter-recieving end :p.

Okay sweet! I'm glad someone's interested. Note that I mean for this to be an early scenario, when characters are weak and players are apt to switch games if it gets too boring or tough. Adjust stats if you please! The Rules come from the Enemy Traits, the PC traits and skills section, and some of it is common sense!

Without further ado, here's some new enemies for the Genstealer Cult/ Infestation!

Infected:
WS 20
BS 20
S 30
T 30
AG 30
INT 15
PER 30
WP 20 normal/ 45 Synaptic Control
FEL 30
Wounds 8

Weapons: Improvised Club........ Armor: Medium/Poor Clothing

These are truly the average human, simply caught in a bad situation with the wrong genes. That's right, there's some bad alien blood in these guys. Not enough to cause mutation or even cause special abilities, but when the Hive Call is strong, the INFECTED lose their resistance and carry out the will of the brood. However, given the relatively small control the Hive has over these men and women, the connection is liable to break in times of stress or under severe circumstances. Note that these baddies come in masses, much like the Tyranid Gaunt strain. The Hive Mind sees no distinction…

SPECIAL RULES:

TENUOUS HOLD: On every combat turn, roll 1d100. On a 1-80, the Infected is controlled by the Hive Mind and is an enemy in all respects. On a 81-100, the Infected snaps out of his reverie and returns to normal and stays that way. It’s up the GM about what he does after that (run away, freeze, claw his eyes out… whatever.)

BODYBAG: To the terrible Hive Mind, nothing is sacred about life. The Infected are often used to just soak up and waste the enemies’ ammunition prior to an actual assault. The Genestealer Cults make use of this by diverting official attention to the Infected, keeping themselves in the shadows.
The Infected must always try to engage in Close Combat and will run at full speed to do so, often times hurting themselves or each other in the process.

INITIATE:

Average humans hell bent on some goal or another, promised by the Genestealer Cult. Sometimes revolutionaries, sometimes convicts, they work to further the Cult without even knowing who or what it is (or even that it exists!).

WS 25
BS 25

S 30
T 30
AG 30
INT 20
PER 30
WP 30
FEL 30
Wounds 9

Weapon: Improvised Clubs, Household Pieces, Daring GMs may equip one or two with Molotov cocktails
Armor: Medium/ poor quality clothing

SPECIAL RULES:

‘We’re just human!’: When the majority of cultists in a group or wave die, roll 1d100. on a roll of 1-50, the Initiates are enraged at the fall of their comrades and are effectively Fearless and strike at +5 WS and +5 STR. On a roll of 51-100, their will is broken and will immediately cease combat. Thus is the price for the Cult’s secrecy…

BROOD BROTHERS
Tried and tested, these are hardy men and women carrying out the will of the Cult and the Hive. They know fully well what they are getting into, and they are okay with it (no doubt because of their Genestealer Blood)! Often times, these citizens come from PDF legions or from Imperial Guard stations.

WS 35
BS 30

S 35
T 35
AG 30
INT 15
PER 25
WP 20 normal/ 45 Synaptic Control
FEL 15
Wounds 10

Weapons: Sword/Axe/Hammer, Las Pistol +1 clip, Combat Knife
Armor: Flak Vest (AP 3)
Rules: (No special rules this time guys… these Brood Brothers are hardy ol’ soldiers.)
Fearless (Synapse), Conceal, Basic Weapon Training Las, Melee (Primitive), Awareness (basic), Survival (Urban), Forbidden lore (Genestealer Cults)

HYBRID STEALER
When the crap really starts hitting the fan! Hybrid Stealers have much Genestealer blood in them… in fact, enough that sometimes these monsters start spouting new limbs or gain superhuman abilities, though most have psychic abilities. Either way, Hybrid Stealers possess abilities few humans have. Rarely found in packs, Hybrid Stealers generally work as unit leaders, attached to the Human combat squads.

WS 50
BS 30

S 45
T 35
AG 40
INT 40
PER 40
WP 40
FEL 15 to outsiders/ 50 to cultists
Wounds 10

Weapons: Las Pistol+ 1 clip, Genestealer Totem (1D10 + 3R… a close combat weapon)
Armor: Guard Flak Armor (AP 4, full body)

Rules: Fearless (to entire unit as well, overrides Infected and Initiates’ special rules until killed), Awareness, Conceal , Immune to Mind Affecting, Basic Weapon Melee, Las, Thrown Weapon, Dodge, Psy Rating 1, Minor Psychic Powers: Fearful Aura, Inspiring Aura (only to Cultists)

WARRIOR STRAIN GENESTEALER
Every soldier’s nightmare. Built to kill, this is a super-predator whose abilities actually equal the terrifying reputation it has built up. At least they only travel in SMALL PACKS (note to GM’s lol). Perhaps it’s time to run now?

WS 50
BS 0

S 50
T 40
AG 45
INT 30
PER 45
WP 35
FEL 15
Wounds 12

Weapons: Rending Claws (1d10 +3 R, unable to parry… 2 pairs.)
Armor: Chitin Armor (AP 3)

Rules: Fearless, Awareness, Immune to Mind Conversion (not DIVERSION, mind you), Dodge, Inability to stay Covert, Acute Senses (all), Multiple Arms, Quadruped,

BLOODLUST: Every turn, roll 1d100. On a 85-100, the Genestealer moves full speed toward the nearest living being and assaults it, friend or foe (or innocent bystander, or animal, etc.)

UNCANNY PRECOGNITION: It’s a super predator. ‘Nuff said. +1 to Initiative Rolls.

SHADOW STALKER STRAIN GENESTEALER
Generally rarer than the Warrior Strain Genestealer, though this may be because few ever see a Shadow Stalker and live to tell the tale. Incredibly Stealthy, they are even more deadly in the urban environment.

WS 50
BS 0

S 45
T 40
AG 55
INT 45
PER 50
WP 35
FEL 15
Wounds 11

Weapons: Rending Claws (1 pair), Scything Talons (1 pair- count as Natural Weapons)
Armor: Chitin (AP 3)

Rules: Fearless, Awareness, Immune to Mind Conversion, Dodge, Acute Senses (all), Multiple Arms (1 attack with each set of weapons), Quadruped, Adapt to any Environment, Super-Conceal, Camouflage, Loner, Night Vision,

FEEDER TENDRILS: With a single taste, the Shadow Stalker can learn your moves and techniques without a problem. Thus, its blows hit with machine-like efficiency, dodging your defenses without a problem. All Parry, Dodge, and WS-to hit rolls are modified by -15,-15, and -5 respectively.

Cult Magus:
One of the top dogs in the Genestealer Cult hierarchy, the Magus is second only to the Patriarch, the Broodlord. A powerful psyker, generally the Magus looks like a normal human, though the supernatural eye can see the dark power the Magus holds. To try to attack one in traditional battle often ends in the attacker finding himself full of doubt, only to be cut down by the Magus’ horde of followers.

WS 40
BS 40

S 40
T 40
AG 40
INT 50
PER 50
WP 55
FEL 70
Wounds 15

Weapons: Genestealer Totem, Bolt Pistol+ 5clips
Armor: Guard Flak Armor (AP 4)

Rules: Fearless, Awareness, Immune to Mind Conversion, Psy Rating 4, Powers: Fearful Aura, Inspiring Aura (to all), Touch of Madness, Precognitive Dodge, Dominate, Inspire, Forbidden lore (Genestealer Cults), Suicide Pills

RETINUE: The Magus is surrounded by any number of human underlings as the GM chooses. If they are all killed or incapacitated, more will show up. However, the Magus must pass a Challenging FEL test to persuade his new retinue to fight. If this retinue were to fall, the same will happen again, though the Magus must pass a Difficult test. Each time, the test will drop one level on the chart, getting progressively more difficult. If he should fail, the Magus is left alone and suffers -20 WP and -40 Fel.

Suicide Pills: Once the GM has deemed the Magus incapable of going on, the Magus would rather kill himself than give information about the Cult.

BROODLORD/ PATRIARCH
The progenitor of the entire cult, the Broodlord is the Genestealer whose genes are powerful enough to ensnare and corrupt generations of humans. Unmatched in martial prowess, you’re truly better off trying to find another way to kill this monstrosity. Better yet, find a better alternative. Broodlords can destroy Daemons… so what’s a PC? Use your brain.

WS 60
BS 25

S 50
T 50
AG 50
INT 50
PER 55
WP 40
FEL 40
Wounds 22

Weapons: Rending Claws (1 Pair), Scything Talons (1 Pair)
Armor: Chitin (AP 3)

Rules: Fearless, Awareness, Immune to Mind Conversion, Dodge, , Acute Senses (all), Multiple Arms, Quadruped, Night Vision, Brutal Charge, Fear: Frightening, Regeneration, Unnatural Speed, Unnatural Strength (making Str. bonus 10). Initiative Rolls +1

RETINUE: As a the progenitor of the brood, the Broodlord is always surrounded by a small army of Warrior Strain Genestealers, as determined by the GM. These never attack the Broodlord and while within 100m, are not affected by the BLOODLUST rule.

More on my ideas for scenarios soon! Please dissect and enjoy!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Wow, that's just great :D

I can see it before me, a huge space ship, with a genestealer cult.
Mission 1 survive ;)

Really like the stuff, if you have more,... You can always PM me :p

Thx mate

·
Monkey Pirate
452 Posts
One thing that I have been thinking about doing, (whenever i find time to get this campaign off the ground) is a sort of Dark Eldar Raid type of thing. Maybe have a people start disappearing in droves in a city, only to turn up either horribly mutilated or raving mad. The first thought for pcs will naturally be Chaos. This gives you the chance to have some fun and lead them on a ghost chase while they look for the cultists.... and find a Dark Eldar coven of some sort. To really add to the horror (and to avoid pissing to many pcs off) include several npcs to tag along with the pcs. Naturally these guys are going to be the first to go. An interesting thought would to have the "leader" npc get captured fairly early on leaving the other npcs and pcs in a state of turmoil. Then when they finally find the base have him show up as a grotesque. I'll see if i can't come up with stats a little later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i really like this idea ALOT! except for the spaceship. for it to really keep with the idea of the game, stealers most often land and infect metropolis because the clutter allows them to go undetected. large as even an imperial ship it i don' think a stealer cult could arise. anyway i think you can really take it whereever and look forward to seeing the end result..good luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi again,

I just red my copy of 'Dark Heresy' twice, and I'm ready to create my own adventure 8X
Their was a little suggestion in the book about an Eversor assasin gone bad...

So this is what I have (rough work...)

My accolytes are called by their inquisitor to purge a Xeno's (possibly Tau) tread... They are ordered to get on Astronimous a spaceship commanded by ... and his loyal Techpriest X1bit.

The accolytes don't know anything about this ship, and when they get on board they see alot of guardsmen (ELYSIAN DROP TROOPS) They are ordered to transport a bunch of prisoners (they are being used as cannonfodder, in a brutal fight against Tau). This is something I let the accolytes find out their selves.0:

So hell breaks lose when the prisoners escape (or get released by ...) and an Eversor assassin was also on board.

I would like it, that this was a "survive" mission... And that they try to avoid contact with this assassin as much as possible

If anyone has any suggestions about how I could improve it (other Xeno's race, other enemies...) please post them up ;)

Greets HH

·
Registered
394 Posts
HeadHunter in that case I'd recommend having quite a few xenos from each side. 'Cept genestealers seeing how you'd force the acolytes to near triple their efforts in order to survive. So my biggest recomendation is to just go with the assassin, and have some dead xenos on the ship.

Of course if it all else fails, you can always force 'em to have to side with some of the surviving xenos in order to increase their survival. I'd recommend either Tau or regular Eldar.

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
You could have a major twist in the story when the Acolyites find out theat they were the specific targets of the Evesor. This can lead into a wider adventure/campaign where the Acolyites try to figure out why they being merely lowly Acolyites were targeted by one of the most deadly weapons in the Imperium.

·
Monkey Pirate
452 Posts
has anyone come up with a good idea for powerfist rules? I was looking over the rule book today and was like hey... those are missing. I was almost thinking combining hammerhand and the power sword together to get a rough idea of what it would do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.