Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, I love role playing in D&D (even though I only played it 3 times) and I love playing 40k. Putting them together is just too much for me to handle at once... I've read some of the gameplay and stages to create your own character and I can't wait till I get the money so I can buy it.

I decided to post this thread cause I didnt see anyone mention it, and even though its not a tabletop game, it dereives its history and whatnot from it. Just wanted to see if any 1 else is as excited as I am about it!!!!!8X

·
Registered
24 Posts
As fun as Dark Heresy promises to be (and from what I hear it is quite awesome), it's probably really hard for anyone to get excited about a game when the producer has been shut down. Yeah sure, it doesn't really NEED support from its creator to be fun, and we'll get a couple more expansions (whatever they have in the pipeline, which I wager can't be much), but after that it's done. With no expansion or revision or updating, the game may get very stale eventually.

That being said I am personally 'cautiously' excited to get ahold of the rule book (if ever I could FIND the damn thing) and I'm looking to start a campaign with my friends. I haven't decided if I want to be a Techpriest or the resident, hard-as-nails Guard Vet. It'll be interesting just to read the fluff, if nothing else.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The beauty of RPGs is that you don't need supplements. It's quite easy to write your own.

And to think that people complain that GW is a capitalist society that wants to sell stuff. When they don't sell stuff, people complain as well.

I picked up the book and am working on organizing a campaign. Having played RPGs for 18 years and coming out of a 5 year-hiatus, I'm very excited to GM again!

·
Hive Fleet Níðhöggr
247 Posts
Yep, have thumbed through it (a friend of mine bought it) and it's a very nice book. Nice layout, really captures the '40K-feeling' and has a lot of background material. Too bad i seems that the planned expansions most probably never see the light of day (Rouge Trader and Adeptus Astartes), but I guess it can be fun to play Inquisitor :)

·
Hive Fleet Níðhöggr
247 Posts
And to think that people complain that GW is a capitalist society that wants to sell stuff. When they don't sell stuff, people complain as well.
I think that the complaining about Dark Heresy is that they (BI/GW) sold out all copies on preorder and that it in generally seems to sell well but they cancel it due to not making enough of a profit. It would irritate me to if I had bought it on preorder and then hear that one week after the launch they axe it.

·
Forward Kommander
1,005 Posts
Good thing I already got a copy then. It really is a good book, and never having played a role playing game the rules are fairly easy to learn. Theres soo many cool things that can happen I can't wait to get some games in, I'm currently working on a Imperial World Scum.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i have to say the fluff and artwork in the book are jaw droppingly beautiful, some of the best to come out of the franchise, i was dissapointed by the over all....ity of the combat system though, it just reminded me of inquisitor with added imagination (minus the models of course) by the way are any of you guys using models in dark heresy ?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'll use models for some combats, as it makes visualization much easier...

I think that the complaining about Dark Heresy is that they (BI/GW) sold out all copies on preorder and that it in generally seems to sell well but they cancel it due to not making enough of a profit. It would irritate me to if I had bought it on preorder and then hear that one week after the launch they axe it.
What I meant is that an RPG doesn't need support as much as a miniatures game: you don't have to worry about game balance as much, so it's easier to come up with your own scenarii/extensions. And the W40k universe is vast, so adding new fluff is not that hard either.

i just think most people are lazy and want all supplements handed over to them...

·
Registered
579 Posts
either.

i just think most people are lazy and want all supplements handed over to them...
I think you're missing the point - it's going to be hard getting anyone into the system if the core rules are no longer available.

What's been announced is less about supplements but fleshing out the basic rules - and there's no sign of reprints in the offing to keep interest alive. Even the web support with additional rules like the vehicle rules will be withdrawn by October/November iirc.

I totally agree there's masses of background material and pre-generated adventure supplements aren't necessary - but the core rule systems are - and if reprints aren't available, then sooner or later people won't be able to get into the game because they can't get the basics so it will die.

Now of course you might think that having already spent the money developing the books arranging reprints would be a good profit making exercise for GW as it would help feed interest in the models and novels.

Hell they could charge £50 a book and it would still sell - it's that good!

But this is GW - more specifically the corporate element - who clearly don't know a Bolter from a Balti.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Well not sure how reliable it is but today during my game with friend we had a little rule disscusion (well more of we knew the rule vaguley just not where it was...). So we called up the GW rule lawyers and my buddy jokingly asked why they closed Black Industries. The guy respounded he didn't know as well and was angry though he did also say that it was under review.

So take it for a pinch of salt that it is but there still may be hope yet for Dark Heresy 8X .

·
Registered
579 Posts
That would be good news if it happens - I'd rather see the line continued and price hike than lose DH & WHFRP - it just doesn't make sense to can something that feeds into figure purchases and novel purchases etc.

Charge a more realistic price if that's what it takes!

·
I AM the Evil Twin!
4,989 Posts
It would be nice if Dark Heresy stayed with us as it is a really good game. I think the Black Library's main concern was finding the personel to fund it and keep it relevant and fresh. In the end it is all about resources. :)

JvK :happy:

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think you're missing the point - it's going to be hard getting anyone into the system if the core rules are no longer available.
I'm not saying this is the right decision from GW's point of view.

But my point is: if you want to play the game, buy it while it's available, get your group of players, and just play. It's an RPG, so there are no tournaments, no need for support, etc. Each group does its own thing.
I still play some RPGs we bought 15 years ago, and for others we've rewritten the rules completely to suit our style and preferences.

D&D made us forget this, but the beauty of RPGing is that you can do whatever you want, bend, break, re-write the rules and fluff at your will.

I'll understand that people will complain in 8 months, when they'll want to get into the game and won't find the core rules.

But complaining now? Just get the darn rulebook!! (and by the way, I'm sure they'll be worth good money on ebay in 1 year or so...)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well I just picked up my book last night and I'm absolutely in love with this game.

I haven't taken a look at the fluff or anything yet (which was what had interested me the most, at first), but I spent a long time reading up on talents and skills for the various career paths. And the armoury. Such an armoury...

I'm fair teeming with excitement to start a campaign for this. I want to be a drug addict. It's bad news for everyone when the dude with the flamer starts huffing hallucinigens.

·
I suck... Maiden neck...
836 Posts
I too feel strongly for DH. I was lucky enough to get a copy, and have it by me right now. It looks fantastic, although limited story as a basic. I mean it is geared for being the henchmen of an Inquisitor. I think the sourcebooks (to be or SHOULD be) could give it epic proportions! Just think about it... Rouge Traders, Chaos book, Alien RPG? go make a tau sourcebook! on a scale of 1-10 this gets a 10 for potential! I know we can make our own expansions, but really? We have problems sharing them on the internet because of IP and what-not! My main concern is, like so many others, the fact that if there are no more to get than those made now, it will die within a short span due to the fact that new players can't get the rules!

I am almost certain that there will be a reprint... Many stupid things have been done (like not making sourcebooks en masse) but just quit entirely seems TO STUPID... Maybe nothing new will come, I can live with that, but it is a death warrant not making the rules available to new players. At this point I would settle for GW being lose on IP and keep printing the core rules.

The whole rumor of BI being only under review sounds lovely but I remain VERY skeptical about the whole thing. I doubt GW would make a press release before they did the review and was certain of the closing. I hope with all my heart that it is correct, and that there is still hope for BI (love WHFRPG also).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just picked up Dark Heresy and it looks great so far. The problem with lack of upcoming supplements comes in when you want to deal with stuff other than human servants of the inqusition.

The thought I had as a quick and dirty solution would be to look at the inquisitor books (which have already covered some of the alien races and/or chaos) and see if I can come up with a way to convert stuff over from one system to the other. Has anyone else considered this and/or started on such a conversion?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am joining a Dark Heresy group which is starting next week so the only experience I have is with character creation XD. My group has one person of every single "path" (think class) except the Acolyte. So, that said, here are my impressions so far:

The character creation system is both really good and really odd all at the same time. ALl the game uses is d10s. Either as multiple d10s and then added together or as a d% with one as the 10s digit and one as the 1s digit. There are 8 "stats" you roll for your character. They are Weapon Skill, Ballistics Skills, Strength, Agility, Toughness, Perception, Willpower, and Fellowship. When rolling stats you added a bonus based on what type of homeworld you are from (either Feral, Hive, Imperial, or Space). Except for WS and BS, all skills come in tiers of 10 with 30 being average. So a 28 and a 29 doesn't make a difference but a 29 and a 30 does. WS and BS are their own thing. Strength, Toughness, and Agility are the classic RPG stats. Perception is exactly what you would expect from its name (or if you have played Fallout), Willpower is the same way. Fellowship is the equivalent of the D&D Charisma stat.

*note: There are tables to randomly generate everything. If you want/need to make a character quickly you can roll up everything from class to eye color.

After you roll stats and pick your homeworld, you can pick your "path" which is similar to a class. Basically, each path has an EXP tier. While you are within a certain tier you have access to certain benefits and once you reach the next tier you gain access to new stuff. EXP is spent like money on stats (as mentioned above), talents (think feats from D&D), and skills. Example: Say you want to take a talent which allows you to build explosive wigets. The talent costs 200exp so you spend 200 of your unspent exp to purchase it and then you have it permanently. You reach new tiers of your path when your total spent exp reaches a certain point. You cannot join multiple paths (ie. Multi-class) but the paths are so dependent on which skill upgrades and talents you take it doesn't make as much of a difference unless you want a path specific talent/skill (which there are a few but not a ton, like everyone can take gun proficiency but not everyone can take pickpocket). The types of paths run the gamut of the "I'm a Culexus assassin in training" assassin to the firey preacher cleric, to the mechanically adept Techpriest, to the shifty scum (think rogue/thief).

Every path gets a starter package of gear and skills (some things you get a choice, however. Like proficiency in las pistols vs proficiency in solid projectile for example). Most iconic gear appears in the book (chainswords, lasrifles, lascannons, auspex, etc) but an annoyingly large amount don't (eviserators for example). There is a huge amount of weapons and armor (including power armor!) but remarkably few non-weapon/armor items. This will probably be fixed as more books come out (as few as there will be =P).

Rules wise, the system is remarkably simple. Almost everything requires that you roll a d% and have the result fall under your skill value (after modifiers). This means that starting out (with "Average" stats of 30s in everything) you only have a 30% chance of hitting something with your sword or gun and that is assuming you are proficient with your weapon and they don't have a special ability. It is fairly easy to get your WS or BS up to 40 (thus a 40% chance) but that is still some EXP spent on that rather then something else.

More remarks next week once I get a chance to play :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.