Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all!
Been a sporadic poster and general lurker here at good old LO for about two years now. I've always been a big fan of the inventive conversions and well-painted armies I've seen on this forum, and so I decided to ring in the New Year by finally starting a WIP thread of my own! Hopefully it'll provide me with motivation to do some real work on the project ideas I have in my head, rather than just sitting around flipping through the codices, lost in fluffy white delusions of grandeur.

I started out 40K playing Tyranids, but a year or so ago I became fascinated by the Inquisition. In the absence of a proper Ordo Xenos codex I was drawn to the Witchhunters, both by their fluff and by the incredibly ornate models (specifically the Exorcist!) Thusly, the first thing on the WIP agenda is my 1000pt semi-demi-quasi-competitive-but-mostly-fluffy Witchhunters army. Here's the list:

Inquisitor Lord w/power weapon, bolt pistol, Scourging, digital weapons, and frag+krak grenades
Acolyte w/carapace armor and Brazier of Holy Fire
Familiar
2x Crusaders
Pyrosavant (counts as Veteran Guardsman w/flamer)
Rhino transport w/extra armor and smoke launchers

10x Battle Sisters w/Veteran Superior upgrade, melta gun, and flamer
10x Battle Sisters w/Veteran Superior upgrade, melta gun, and flamer
5x Stormtroopers w/plasma gun
5x Stormtroopers w/grenade launcher

4x Seraphim w/twin hand flamers, Veteran Superior w/power weapon

Immolator w/holy promethium, extra armor, and smoke launchers

Exorcist w/extra armor and smoke launchers

Army Total: 994

Feel free to critique the gameplay viability of this list, but know that since this is mostly a fluff-based army, I welcome your comments but may not actually put them into practice.

Anyway, this is the Projects forum! On to the conversions! Once I get my camera working, I'll put up some pictures later tonight of the stuff I have so far.

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ladies and gentlemen of LO, faithful and heretical, I, Dawnrunner, hereby proudly present my first-ever army photos:

This sinister fellow is Inquisitor Lord Mathias Harpier of the Ordo Hereticus. As secretive and zealous as any of his brethren, Lord Harpier made a name for himself during his purge of the Fantremar system. Three entire planets had been subtly undermined by a Genestealer cult of size unequaled since Ichar IV, and many other Inquisitors feared that the only solution was Exterminatus. However, with a supporting force of only one hundred Battle Sisters from the Order of the White Lily, Harpier and his retinue infiltrated the infestation's rotten heart on Fantremar VI and put the foul xeno-mutant cult leaders to the sword and cleansing fire, eventually enabling an Imperial reconquest of the system. Harpier has called on the Order of the White Lily many times since then, utilizing their skill in battle and potent faith to persecute the enemies of the Imperium.
I've converted the inferno pistol to a bolt pistol, given him some frag grenades, and added a skull pommel to his sword hilt. As much as I like this model, I'm only using it until I can fully convert a new Inquisitor model of my own.

And now for his retinue...

Interrogator Goll Fabrasto. An eager and intelligent pupil with a youthful zeal, Fabrasto seeks to learn all he can from his illustrious master.
I simply added a holstered laspistol.

Crusaders, codenames Nessus and Jaxin. These silent, shadowy bodyguards are highly skilled swordsmen, and protect Lord Harpier with their lives.
I'm planning to greenstuff a lower-body robe/kilt or baggy pantaloons for the plastic one, which I kitbashed with an SM head, an SoB power sword, and the Empire General sprue

Pyrosavant Laxaris. In his early days, Inquisitor Harpier ferreted out a gang of tech-heretics on the hive world of Bin-Aroth. This low-ranking adept was gifted to him by Magos Aldin Lectrum as a token of thanks.
I altered the Acolyte model with various bitz from the Guard sprues and the mini-brazier from the inferno pistol

Servo-skull familiar - Harpier personally beheaded the Broodlord of Fantremar VI and kept the skull as a trophy, fitting it with a small anti-grav motor and replacing its feeder tendrils with tentacular mechadendrites.
I added some vents from an SM backpack to the underside of a regular Genestealer head, then put the head on a straightened paperclip.

Stormtrooper with melta - I have enough points to spare to switch this guy in for Laxaris if I need some extra anti-armor.

Now for the troops:

Sister with melta - replaced the bolter with a cut-up SM combi-melta

Sister with flamer - replaced the flamer nozzle with the Acolyte's brazier

Random Sisters

Seraphim Veteran Superior Melyssa. Melyssa is a fierce warrior with experience from countless fields of battle.
I replaced her arms with Canoness arms, and gave her a plume.

Seraphim Miranda. Melyssa's right hand, her temper is as fiery as her hand flamers.
I replaced the flamer nozzles with braziers cut off the Canoness backpack

The Seraphim squad

And a little something extra:

Canoness Sophia Alma. As a Battle Sister of the Order of the White Lily, the young Sophia was part of Lord Harpier's strike mission upon Fantremar VI's capital city. Upon the death of Palatine Kiria in the heat of battle, Sophia took up the fallen palatine's blessed weapon and standard, charging forward into the fight. This courageous example inspired her sisters, and with renewed faith they carried the day. Afterwards, with the testimony of the Sisters and a personal commendation from Inquisitor Harpier, Sophia was elevated to fill Kiria's position of Palatine. She served the Order well, proving herself many times over in battle, and upon the death of the old Canoness Superior the Sisters unanimously chose Sophia to succeed her. Sophia's strength of faith and hatred for the xenos, mutant, and heretic makes her an invaluable ally for Inquisitor Harpier.
I made her blessed weapon, the Flail of Chastisement, from the Empire General mace and a tube from the Tyranid barbed strangler. However, I still need to find a backpack for her, as the first one was butchered to make Miranda's hand flamers. I probably won't use Sophia until I upgrade to 1500 or 2000 points, but I had an idea and some bitz left over. That's all you really need to make a cool model, right? :dance:

As you can see, I'm attempting to convert certain models in special little ways to enhance the inherent gothic look of the Witchhunters; for instance, all the flamers in the army will be modelled with those flaming braziers instead of ordinary nozzles. The squad leaders and HQ characters will also receive the royal treatment, getting ornate weapons, names, and a place in the force's backstory.
I still have a ways to go before this army is completed; being a college student, I have limited funds, and the paints and greater bulk of the army remain unbought. I'm also no great shakes at painting or greenstuff sculpting, but I hope that I'll learn and improve as I go along.

Hope you enjoy my work so far!

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, that was slightly anticlimactic :disapointed:

I seem to have a problem posting my pictures from Photobucket. Anyone have any tips? What are the specs for resizing photos to fit on LO if it comes to that?

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sorry i cant see any of the pictures :(
Your fluff seems good though!

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is 600x450 an okay dimension?

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Success! Turns out the URL method didn't work for some reason, so I had to use the image code instead. Weird.
Anyway, enjoy!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yay! I can see the pictures now!
Looks great- I've always wanted a SoB army, but its really the cost thats put me off, it''ll be good to see yours painted!

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Time for an update!

Haven't done much work since my last post, 'cause I'm getting ready to return to the hallowed halls of higher education in a few days. I do, however, have the beginnings of a piece of terrain (possibly an objective?):

This is an Order of the White Lily shrine-monument to some of their great victories. From left to right, they've got trophy heads from the Infestation of Fantremar VI (genestealer), the Sepharid Cluster Incursion (tau), the Flaye's World Rout (traitor guardsman), and the Storming of Garinox (eldar).

I made the monument with one door from the Rhino top hatch and an SoB dozer blade, banner, and icon, along with four heads which I begged and wheedled from various of my friends.

I've also made a discovery of sorts. Inside a so-called "grooming kit" that I received for Christmas, I found a nail file and a weird tool, the identity of which is currently a mystery. However, I thought that both items might be pressed into service for my modelling endeavors: the nail file to file off flash and mold lines from metal models, and the unknown tool to shape greenstuff with.

The grooming kit, with nail file and weird tool laid out off to the side.

The nail file. Do you guys think it would be strong enough to take mold lines off metal models without breaking or stripping?

The weird tool. It has a flattish end and a pointy end...would this work as a greenstuff shaping tool?

The reason I ask is because of the ever-present shortage of cash...I really don't want to have to buy GW versions of these tools when I can use stuff I got for free. Thanks in advance for any comments!

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
I like what I see here - a nice start on those Sisters minis.

Regarding the grooming kit... I'm not sure if the file would be strong enough, or fine enough for that matter (to let you get into the fiddly bits) for mould line removal. I've found a hobby knife works pretty good at scraping off mould lines, though (probably more so on metals actually) and it can't hurt to give the file a go.

The 'weird shaped tool' (I think it's something to do with toenails but can't quite remember what it's meant to do) looks really good for green stuffing. Again, perhaps not so good for the fine detail, but for some things it would be fine. The tip of the file could also be hand for green stuffing.

The objective is looking good too (aside from the Tau head, but you can ignore this filthy Xenos lover...)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Those are some very nice conversions.

They are very simple yet VERY effective, which are the best kinds :D

Keep it up man!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts