Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Born from Tears of Angels
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just played my firend who plays nids(Sarm tactic)
Here is a quick question... HOW DO U KILL THEM??? Those dam gaunts are annoying, I used warp beasts to take down a bunch, next turn I had 3x as many swarming me. I had about 50 warriors with splinter cannons and sybarites. I took out many but in the end stil got overrun. What I want to know is if I can rush my raiders forward, let him down them and then use them to slow down or block the swarm. Do downed raiders count as impassable terrain or difficult terrain in this case???? (((You cant go to either side of the raider only through)))

·
Registered
314 Posts
How much heavy weapon firepower does he have? I've had success in "gunboating" against 'nid swarms. Put everyone in Raiders, and stay just out of his charge range, shooting splinter rifles, splinter cannon and shreaders at them. Have the Raiders armed with dissies to maximize casualties. Use a 3-dissie Ravager or two.

Even if he gets a squad to reach a Raider, he still needs 6's to hit, and 5's or 6's to glance. Of course, if he has heavy weapons enough to down your Raiders, this doesn't work as well.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Wyches kill Gaunts quite well. As a Tyranid player, I really hate fighting Wyches in general -- even with Genestealers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
A good tactic verse tyranid swarms it to not spread out. This way you can concentrate your fire at the closest units. The first time I played a nid swarm I evened my lines out across my deplyment zone and I didn't have enough fire power to keep them away. Next time I decided to deploy all in a corner and he had to bunch units up behind each other.Then I had just enough fire power to take out the first row of nids' a turn (that is half the table width), whereas when you spread out you have to kill a first row that is the table width. I dont know if that made any sense but l tried.

·
LO Zealot
1,449 Posts
Also, keep your warriors on the raiders as the gaunts cant hurt them! Remember that your warriors can shoot freely from the raider, but any attacks against the raider will be against AV 10. Just remember to fly around and kill everything that poses a real threat to you first, namely those nasty VC and BS warriors, Ranged carnifexes and biovores. When they are down, all there is left is to zip around the battlefield blasting away at whatever is left. Due to the speed of the raiders, your opponent should never be able to catch them with his cc monsters, who otherwise would pose a great threat to your raider crews.

·
Archite of Caerbannog
1,582 Posts
I like that idea, move 12" in a raider and fire everything you got.

What is the assault range on some of the nids?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Some can FoF and charge 12", just like warp beasts. These have serious problems with morale though. Unless there are winged synapse creatures nearby their pile in move will take them out of synapse range, and then they will be stuck with Ld5 in your assault phase. Use this to your advantage - kill some of them (easy, T3 and 6+ armour while more expensive than your warriors), break them, and run them down.

You can also use raiders, perhaps with with scythes, as baits, as they get no consolidation even if they destroy it - template fun!
Do what you can to force them to move around obstacles so they come towards you in lines (pointing towards you) instead of a massive front.

·
Tomb King
671 Posts
Obviously you want high rate of fire weapons and blast or template weapons:
Splinter Rifle
Splinter Cannon
Shredder
Destructor
Dissintegrator

Raider Gunboats with Splinter Cannon, Shredder and Dissie.
Jet bike squads to take out his units able to shoot your Gunboats.
This is one instance where a squad of sybarytes with 4 Splinter Cannons could be viable.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think he means scourges

·
Registered
380 Posts
if you are going with the gunboat thingy, dont waste your shots on cannon fodder.. stay in your lines till the nids have moved up to about half the table. this is to allow you space to move.. shoot lone synaspe creature, like his zoathope, not his hive tyrant and guard.. most your his gaunts has very low Ld.. maybe talos might be useful, as str 3 gaunts cannot wound it..

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
Do downed raiders count as impassable terrain or difficult terrain in this case???? (((You cant go to either side of the raider only through)))
Downed raiders count as impassable terrain so they have to go around the raiders unless they have Flesh hooks. (at least I think)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Downed raiders count as difficult terrain as per 4th edition rules, but also count as its original size 3 and as a 4+ cover.

But gunboating is definatly the way to go. I played space marines for a long time and now just baught a dark eldar army. Anyway space marine strat versus nid swarms is lots and lots of land speeders. They kill nids very very easy.

Dark Eldar have a signifigant advantage in this because all of thier vehicles are skimmers, which is why it works so well. Nids need a 6 to hit it in CC and usually another 6 for most tyranids just to glance the thing. I have a 1500 point slave raider army list consisting of 3 ravagers each w/1 DL and 2 Dissies, and 4 raiders, 1 with wyches and another with an incubi squad. The beauty is the stick and move strat. Move 12" with your raiders and shoot any synapse creature, and keep the ravagers at the back of the table blasting away at the big synapse creatures (i.e. hive tyrant with guard) with 3 DL and 6 Dissies! its enough to drop the nid command squad to just the hive tyrant in one turn.

Completely ignore the guants. Simply foucus fire power on the synapse creatures, use your wyches to tie up his genestealers, and your incubi squad to mop up his warriors.

You practically can't lose this way. I do it all the time with Land speeders and command squad in a Crusader and all the nid players absolutely hate it. ( I usually play with 3 Land speeders) And it is murder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts