Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
LO's resident Yowie
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after GD, I've got a lot of painting time on my hands. So I decided to throw together this thread of various models of different races and colours. So I'll start with the Blood crusher!

This beastie's my first commission for my godbrother for the generous ammount of $5! Did the lava base befor I even knew I was doing him so withought further adou,

Bloodcrusher WIP-

Next up is my nurgle chaos lord. Got him at GD and I was lucky enough to get the last one. I plan to get a sythe from the empire wizards pack to kinda nurgley him up. I don't like balls of rot looking nurgle (unless they are demons) so I didn't do any rot/mould stuff on him. I GSed a nurgling on his horn and plan to do another on his base. Filed off the chaos mark on the shield and here he is so far.

C&C is greatly appreciated!

-DDW
:soldier:

·
I killed Alpharius
352 Posts
And my very favourite!

And for those interested - the wheel of colours I use to paint the lava:

Check out the laver on these guys, lemmingspawn used PVA glue to do it then painted it with the colours (AV brand) on that wheel:soldier:.

The Red beast/machine is looking good, I think the red could get a lot lighter though, like a flat red colour. Mix lots of water, and nothing but, with the paint. After the first coat it may not show up, but if you keep doing this you will get a strong and smooth, well blended, coat.

With the scratches on the armour, after you paint them make sure you paint the underside of them with your highlight colour that you have been using for your red, it makes them look a hell of a lot more real.

At the moment the red is nice, but kinda looks streaky. Love his teeth:sinister:.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Looking very good there. The lava base is brilliant. Well done on the nurgle lord, I reckon you're right in that too much rot would spoil the model. He looks fine as he is, and the nurgling is a great addition.

·
LO's resident Yowie
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well, that was eventfull. Now twenty days later, it's time for update number one!!! WOO!!! PARTY!!!

@dwane- well, the kinda lava I was trying to go for kinda goes like this-

Soo... yeah.

Well in my infinite slowness, I've started painting on my chaos lord. I have only done some parts cuz the funny thing is, the only green I own is snot green, faaar to bright and colourful for papa nurgle. So I've done the cape and the bone bits so far. I'm not entirely happy with the bone, I might repaint later. Still haven't got his sythe yet, I'm getting it tomorrow. Oh, and I've painted one of the nurgling's tounges. It will be a spot-colour which will be on the roses that are on the sythe. Anyway... Here he is!

Hope you like!
-DDW

·
I killed Alpharius
352 Posts
Ya! cool. ONe thing, think someone went through wid this on OzPainters to, and that is, throwing water in your paint.

The painting so far looks smooth, but i can see brush/streak lines in the photo's . It is mainly the final white highlights on the back. It kinda looks like you ruched it, and instead of apply many watered down coates you did two or three thick coats, .

This may help with what i am on about, its things like this that the judges tear you apart for at GD, can mean the difference between placing and not.

I not trying to be to harsh or anything. its just gotta learn these things. :soldier:

·
LO's resident Yowie
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm...

*a couple of white coats later-

I'm just wondering, should I possibly do a couple washes of delvan mud and mabey black, on the bottom of the cape to make it look dirty. I'm just worried that it would ruin the thing entirely.

·
I killed Alpharius
352 Posts
WOOT. Thats better, didn't take much to fix either well done sir.

OK, about making the plain white cape more interesting:

:: You could make it look dirty, which, when done good looks great...but when done bad can **** up a good paintjob. I think that if there is one path you don't want to travel down when making things dirty on cloth then its using washes, because they won't evenly cover the required area (when shading washes good because they travel to the lower surfaces of a model vs dirtying things you want to cover a surface fairly evenly not just in recessed areas because dirt generally won't run into the recsess of a model).

Their are lots of ways to dirty up a model, poeple use MIG pigment cause you can't go wrong, because you are pretty much throwing actual dirt on a mini. Another way is to striple your dirt colours on, Luke MacFarlane (winner of Australia's big shining blade two years in a row {Rouge Leader on OzPainters}) made his 2007 slayer sword winning entry (the space marine) dirty around the boots and cape like so:

Rogue Leader said:
Hi Dwayne,

For the dirt on my marine's boots & leg armour I used my small 20/0 brush and stippled the different shades of brown onto the model. I painted the shadows and, in particular, the highlights using this method too. To get the faded mud effect as it reaches higher up the leg armour I used thinner, more translucent paint and lighter shades of brown. I also did fewer spots and splashes the higher up I went. I think the key to realistic looking mud is to get the stippled spots and splashes of paint as small as you can and be a little bit random with them too.

:: Another way to make it more interesting, and probebly a better way, is to add some juices (selective glazing) of colour at certain spots, for example in the dark areas, instead of have a flat gray colour all through the cape you can add some extremely thin glazes of ...say....dark blue-purple, so that it only slightly tints the small area you want, this makes things, slightly more visually interesting and also obey's some colour theory (which is confusing as shit so i won't even try to go into it, check out sebastian's articles on:

1) Ujahu (part 1 and 2)
2) Using selective glazing 'juices'.

They are great...long..loong reads. There was a white dwarf a couple of months ago (the Imperial guard one) were an Eavy' metal painter did this model you are doing now, i think he utilised the whole juices thing and added some blue and reds to his guys cape.....i'll find the number of it tomorrow

...i am tired..wanna sleep:handshake:
----------
ITS WHITE DWARF #353 May 2009, check it out if you have got it.

ok...bed. You should get off computer and have 40 winks as well. At our developing age sleep is important {don't mind if i sound like ya mother}

·
LO's resident Yowie
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I've got that one. I think I'll have to check these out.

Thanks

·
LO's resident Yowie
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I got the sythe on thursday and painted it this morning. TaaDaa-

Also did a bit of work on the big guy himself.

I have finished:
Skulls
Cape (inc freehand and weathering)
the Metal
Bandages etc.
Viles of potion
Nurglings
the Base
and the fur.

I also repainted his horns which turned out really well, They've got some battle damage on them which turned ot better than I expected. The freehand on the cape was a bit rushed but I think it came out okay. Both the bottles and the nurglings were given a coat of PVA to make them shiney! I also have a bit of narrative in the model aswell. The Chaos dude is pouring some potion thingy onto the nurgling on the base, making him bigger and stronger.

C&C please!
-DDW

·
LO's resident Yowie
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sigh... No replies :(

Well here is the finished Chaos Dude. I think he turned out well and would like some C&C. I still havent finished the base. I need to get some static grass on it. I also need to finish the water effects on the base. The green armour was a success. The pics were taken tonight so they could be a bit better. I'll get better pics tomorrow and might start a thread. Yay-

:D

C&C PLEASE!!!
-DDW

·
I killed Alpharius
352 Posts
He looks cool:act-up:. Only thing is, and this will come with practise, (it ain't something you can simply just do) , is that your shadows could be a tad darker-talking a greenish black- and your highlights could be A LOT lighter. At the pointy edges of this guys armour (like the shest plate) they could be like a stark green white colour even. It will give him so much more impact and visual actraction, not that he ain't damn sexy as is:soldier:.

Top job and nice conversion:qq:.

NOW PUT HIM ON OZPAINTERS DAMN YOU!!!!

·
LO's resident Yowie
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HAHA! The funny thing is, I had all the highlights up to kommando kahki but I thought it was too bright! I'll bring up the highlights today and do some posting on OzP.

In other news, I bought my self an Ork Painboy and have done a lil' bit of converting. The thing is, I have lost my greenstuff (I only had about a 1cm left) and some is coming in the mail.

:D

·
Registered
762 Posts
Great looking model! If you could somehow greenstuff some liquid pouring out of the potion that would add a nice effect. :beer:

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Hmm, why haven't I seen this thread before?

I like your chaos guy, the scythe is wonderful and you've managed to make him obviously nurgley without the gross-out factor that always turns me off...

Regarding the bottle and the poring of liquid from said vessel - I saw an interesting technique a while back where someone was making tyrannid drool. They used some hair or fine thread or something, and gradually applied glue to it. They ended up with a thin string of glue with a drop forming at the end.

It could work for this, if you wanted to try. Could also be horribly messy, and green stuff could be just as effective.

·
2,244 Posts
Much better pics the second time round, but I already repped the first lot.

He looks really great, you have done a great job on the liquid in the bottle, That pose would look awesome on a Necromancer, with the liquid splashing on the ground and a body rising up.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts