Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another week, another Mantic kickstarter. This time it is a sci-fi skirmish game set in their Warpath universe. There are obvious parallels to Necromunda but I think as with Dreadball/Blood Bowl they will be aesthetic only. The game appears to be a bit of a halfway house between a wargame and a boardgame. There are no tape measures required for example as the 2'x2' board has a square grid for movement, LoS etc. An interesting move (and something they probably learnt from Dreadball) Is that there is a 'boardgame' option with coloured plastic figures rather than the (presumably) multipart figures that come with the normal release.

I am most interested by the terrain which remind me of the old Necromunda terrain but looks capable of being configured in a ton of different ways. As this is not 40k there are no skulls and overly gothic elements and they look like having a more generic sci-fi appearance (it struck me with DB that the warpath universe is moving away from the Grimdark 40k to a more Mass Effect style aesthetic). Jake Thornton has come up trumps with some of his most recent games so I am looking forward to learning more about the system. Mantics models are improving all the time and although I don't think they are GW quality some of these new sculpts do look pretty nice.

I haven't pledged yet but I was really pleased with all the bonus stuff I got for supporting DB so I am not ruling it out.

Deadzone: The Sci-fi Miniatures Board Game by Mantic Games — Kickstarter

G

·
Apparently all the building parts are interchangeable 3" squares, so they can be configured in loads of ways. That appeals to me more than the game if I'm honest.

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just wanted to give this thread a little bump incase people havent seen it.

The kickstarter is in its last few hours. It is approaching the $1Million mark which means that those pledging are getting a massive amount of stuff. Details of the rules are out and it appears to be a very slick, cinematic and fun game (much like Jake Thorntons last Mantic job Dreadball) the minis look great and the scenery is top notch. For those not interested in the game but wanting the scenery for other games (Necromunda and Infinity spring immediately to mind) there are scenery only pledge levels.

Just time to jump in!

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
Didn't kick into myself, but I'm really interested to see how it turns out in terms of gameplay (the terrain's nice but not for me). Kind of hoping the local 'kickstarter' guy bought into it so I can snag a demo off of him before buying it off the shelf myself (worked with Dreadball).

·
Registered
188 Posts
This is a fun game. A few guys at my local club have the starter . And it plays well simple 8 sided dice very quick to learn and very fast at 150 points a game I played in just over the hour mark. The scenery can b made in so many ways it's really nice. And in few moth time semantic will re lease more scenery packs and 2 New factions. If you want to use 40k there's some broadsheets on Dakota forums (don't have link on me)
I my self will be getting it and selling off most of my 40k

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
Got a demo of it a few weeks back and... could go into specifics but TL;DR I wasn't by impressed.
While Infinity has much better tactical depth, I think the primary comparison for Deadzone is Dreadball. IMHO, I think Dreadball does it better all around, and especially when it comes to how their version of face-to-face dice mechanics works.

For me, the big highlight to Deadzone is that, like Dreadball, it's self-contained in that $100 starter set with the only additional purchases possibly needed being boosters for whatever faction you want to play, and a 2nd starter set in case your group wants to have more than one game going at a time.

I'm not likely never going to get it myself, but I'm happy to occasionally play it with my friend who got it off kickstarter.

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After getting all my firat wave stuff a few months ago I can report im pretty happy with it. The minis are nice, terrain is fantastic and the game itself is a lot of fun. The use of cards is brilliant, as is the hidden objectives and all the opposed dice rolls, exploding 8s that I'm used to from Dreadball. Its a compact, fast paced and tactical game that might not be everyones cup of tea but is well worth checking out. Its the kind of innovative game GW dont make anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts