Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Space Marine battles, how do you guys deal with a Terminator squad? A squad of 5 termies with an assault cannon can easily decimate 20 gaunts before they even get close. Then, you don't want to get TOO close, heck they all have power weapons. What to do? Zoanthropes seem like an obvious solution but by the time you get within range to BLAST them they are going to charge the Zoanthropes and make dog food of them.

One squad of five mowed down 12 gaunts, 6 stealers and 3 warriors.....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is what I am thinking...a wave of stealers right behind a wave of gaunts. Then followed up by warriors. I just need to get enough gaunts up front to get into CC to tie them up. I'm thinking it will probably take 20+. The main problem is the storm bolters and assault cannon don't allow an armor save for either of those troops.

·
Daemonette
1,038 Posts
My idea is warriors with Death Spitter , Scything Talons (with venom sacks) and maybe Extended Carapace . (is that good?)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ripper idea might be good to hold them up until the stealers can get there....

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would say use hormagaunts with scythers - jump all over him. Then suppliment with Ravners with scythers/rending claws. Ravners with scything talons will make mincemeat out of marines. Remember only 1 wound so a 6 = dead model (save for the 5+ invulnerable).

Also you can use venom cannons to force them to roll a lot of dice - who knows they may mess up one.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I can see that your main problems seems to be the storm bolters over the powerfists/weapons.

I woudl agree with using the red terror, or just tangling them up wiht rippers....
I once played a game nids verses dark eldar, and i tied a talos up for 5 turns with 16 termagunts(which couldnt hurt it) although i didnt hurt it, it killed about 6 termagunts and and was all round a waste of his pts.
(and not a waste of mine)
Ya and rending claws(with 6's) and monsterous creatures would make them take 5+ sv's anyway, their not as scairy as SM plays would have you belive... (CSM terminators are a different matter).
And if your army is able to keep up with its selft then by the time the terminators are a threat(if they didnt deep strike) your whole army should be ontop of them.

If you have a hive tyrant join a squad of say 32 termagunts(assult range 6") would any units that wished to attack it suffer from "The Horror?"(which comes with HT anyway) That would be cool, because you could offer the weaked units with assult 6" a little chance to charge?!?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The easiest thing to do against marines (imperial or chaos) is to use the "swamp 'em" tactic from the ork codex. Pile in 40+ hormagaunts and they're bound to kill the terminators, especially if there's a zoanthrope with catalyst right behind them

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Catalyst won't do anything if you fight terminators, as all gaunt species have at least the same initiative (except against slaanesh terminators).

However, this swamp 'em tactic indeed works. Swamp them with scythegaunts and eventually some hormagaunts in the second line, and the terminators will either die (their power fists are kinda useless against gaunts), or they'll be busy for the rest of the game and won't get their points back.

Do not use any "big bugs" against terminators, power fists are a serious threat to these. Genestealers work if you can get them close, leaping warriors with a gaunt meat shield line between them and the termies works too.

I wouldn't worry too much about terminators in close combat. From a gaunt point of view, equal points of normal marines are a way harder opponent:
Termies have only half the chance to fail their armour save, but due to their point cost there will be only about one third as many on the table at equal points than there would be marines. Therefore they are move vulnerable than marines.
They have two attacks...equal points of marines would get three attacks, or even six if you use marines with pistol and ccw. The terminator attacks being power fists is kinda irrelevant if you swamp them with gaunts.

Their only bonus is that you can't fit that many models into base contact, therefore a second line of hormagaunts is essential for swamping tactics. Keep in mind that at least one hormagaunt has to reach base contact, otherwise its brood may not charge.

jwu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.