Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! This is my first post on librarium, so I apologize if I do anything wrong, or if this has already been dealt with.

Ok, my point is thus.

Death Company have rage, Paraphrasing the rage special rule, You MUST move and/ or run (if you so choose so) towards the nearest enemy model, same for assault I believe.
However, it doesn't say anything about shooting at the nearest model, and we all know you can only ssault what you shoot at, so my point is...

If the death company shoot at a unit, lets say unit b, which is 12" away, are they no longer obliged to assault unit a, which is 5" away. As sometimes, you may find that you are closest to a dreadnought/armored sentinel etc

·
LO Ninja
1,214 Posts
Well unless you have a power fist then unlucky if you run into a Dread.

Not sure really but I remember the sisters have somethng similar with there priests saying you must assault but what if the sisters fire rapid fire? The general consensus is that you wouldn't be able to shoot and I think that goes here too. If you can assault then no shooting but if your outside that 6" then fire away. Jus my 2 cents, not got the codex so no shouting at me! ;P

PL

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Nothing in the Rage rule obligates you to make an Assault. The only mention of the Assault Phase in the rule, regards Consolidation.

Page 76, top left corner.

·
3,395 Posts
Not sure really but I remember the sisters have somethng similar with there priests saying you must assault but what if the sisters fire rapid fire?
Rage - Must always move as fast as possible towards enemy, may shoot as normal, if opting to run it must be towards the closest enemy. May assault as normal (but must consolidate towards closest enemy). May ignore rules if no enemy visible or if squad is embarked.

Righteous fury(priests)- May move as normal. Always count as moving, may not shoot if it will prevent them from charging. Must charge in the assault phase if able to reach a target, though they don't need to assault the closest one
(edited as per the FAQ psichotykwyrm posted)

Holy rage(repentia/arcos/penitents)- Must always move as fast as possible towards the enemy (even if they can't see them), plus an additional D6". Must charge in the assault phase if able to do so, but may run in the shooting phase to negate this (unless they also get fleet from somewhere)

Battle frenzy(penitents)- In addition to holy rage the penitent engines must always fire their weapons if able, at whatever target would result in the greatest number of hits.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Righteous fury(priests)- May move as normal. May shoot as normal but always count as moving. Must charge in the assault phase if able to reach a target, though they don't need to assault the closest one - firing rapid fire weapons will prevent this.
Witchhunters FAQ:

"Q. How does Righteous Fury work with rapid fire weapons?
A. The rules for Priests state that the unit always counts as moving, and must always charge. To clarify, this rule effectively means that units with an attached Priest may never fire a rapid fire weapon if they are within charge range of an enemy, as to do so would preclude them from charging. If there are no enemies within charge range, they can still fire at targets up to 12" away, but not beyond, as they always count as moving."

·
3,395 Posts
The sad thing is that the very same FAQ states that holy rage units (with the same 'must charge' terminology) may opt to run in the shooting phase, and will not be able to charge if they do so.

I think GW's intention was just to shaft the already crappy radical units as hard as possible, especially given this is the 5th edition FAQ and 5th ed Righteous Fury has non of the compulsory charge or forced unit attachment crap in it.

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
*checks rule book again, closely*
....ah
*palm makes contact with face*
Don't feel bad. I had assumed the exact same thing.

This is a major problem for scoring units since they can essentially never capture an objective, but DC don't score anyway. It does, to my knowledge, prevent them from re-embarking on a transport once they've left it.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
This is a major problem for scoring units since they can essentially never capture an objective, but DC don't score anyway. It does, to my knowledge, prevent them from re-embarking on a transport once they've left it.
They can still re-embark into a transport as long as they're still moving towards the closest enemy and they all end up within 2" of the vehicle's access point. It's slightly harder to do but it's still do-able.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well in terms of embarking on a vehicle...let's say that there is a Land Raider nearby somewhat between Death Company and the closest unit. If they manage to get within 2" of one of the doors, and then embark, aren't they now considered to measure ranges that are relevant to them from the hull of the Raider? So if the hull of the Raider is closer to the enemy than where they would be if they ended their movement outside, would this mean they are satisfying the Rage requirement of moving toward the unit by embarking? (Notice I'm not talking about a situation where they make a move fully following the Rage requirements and then just happen to end within 2" of the doors. I'm talking they make a move that is not directly toward the unit or not a full distance move toward the unit, but then use the embarkation to be considered closer to the unit than they would have been had they kept moving in order to satisfy Rage...legal or no?)

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Well, this is an item from the FAQ for another Codex, but as it directly relates to "the spirit of the rule"...

Ork FAQ:

"Q. Can Grotsnik board a vehicle if doing so will get him closer to the nearest enemy than if he moved normally?
A. In the spirit of the rule, if embarking in a vehicle will not prevent him from charging that turn and will also get him closer to the nearest enemy than moving normally that turn, he may do that. Once aboard, the vehicle must always move in such a way as to move as fast as possible towards the closest enemy and allow Grotsnik to disembark and charge the closest enemy as soon as possible."

Though Rage does not require a charge, I think we can apply the other parts of this tidbit. (Getting closer and such.)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Good find, although the part about requiring the vehicle to get closer is pretty specific to Grotsnik's rule, as the regular Rage specifically says that it doesn't apply when the models are embarked. But absent something definitive, that's a very useful answer to at least have as an example. Thanks!

Also, I knew I had read something like that before (and a couple other things involving Rage) but I had thought the ones I was remembering were from INAT. Nice to see it at least tangentially addressed in a GW release.

·
725 Posts
It is perfectly fine for the death co. (for example) to move max toward unit A. Shoot at unit B even though unit A is closer and assault unit B if it is in 6" assault range even though unit A might be within 2".

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
It is perfectly fine for the death co. (for example) to move max toward unit A. Shoot at unit B even though unit A is closer and assault unit B if it is in 6" assault range even though unit A might be within 2".
Right. As we've already established, Rage does not mandate any assault moves. If assault moves are not mandatory, then why would you not get to choose your target?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts