Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am all giddy over this so I figure I should share it with the community. I decided to try something different in a game against the Tau. I took three death cult assassins and infiltrated them 12" away from a group of fire warriors, some battle suits(mistake!), and by another squad of fire warriors. One assassin took out her points worth, plus the points of her two sisters, plus the cost of the inquisitor to take them, in two turns. I have severly under estimated the power of a deathcult agent against non-MEQ armies and I plan to take them again next time I play Tau. What are your opinons of the agents of the Death Cult?

·
140 Posts
i've had mixed results with them

If you can get them into close combat with a unit of gaurd or tau.. well they'll tear it apart or intocombat with independent characters or heros. they excell at this role.

sadly tey sufferfrom thestandard assassin weakness. great against quality poor against quantity. a squad rapid firing them will annilate them.

get them close enought and they'll pay for themselfs then some.. but miss your oppertunity and watch them turn their hand to being fertillizer

·
Registered
38 Posts
My Callidus took out her point value in Inquisitor henchemen today, but it wasn't really that worth it. Maybe if I scored any wounds on her pistol beforehand. Hmmm.

Assassins can be amazing, it's just hard to tell when to take them and how.:ninja:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
i always like to take as many deathcult as i have left over pionts for to me they are the perfect pointfiller, but they dohave their limits against enemy hq's and elite power armour and even small squads they excell but come against +10 models and shes toast

·
Registered
957 Posts
Rasheem said:
Assassins can be amazing, it's just hard to tell when to take them and how.:ninja:
And there you have it. A reliability problem. Assasins are dicey.
Tau can be best beaten with mobility.
Cue the Seraphim.

Don't overtool their shooting weapons. You don't want your shooting to break Tau Squads lest you lose the charge. Instead, direct the points to a higher # of girls. I suggest 2 squads of 8 or more. Don't be afraid to toss in a Jumping Cannones (or 2) who can split off from the pack beore charging. If the Cannoness is 3+, she can "donate" a wound, saving a Seraphim life.

Seraphim's natural staline trumps the Tau nicely in CC. You might also consider taking an Eviscerator or 2 along, which will enable you to cut open his tanks and crisis pajamas.

FOr that matter, my jumping Cannoness has twice gotten behind a vehicle with a Blessed Weapon augmented to Str 7 to destroy the vehicle. So Evis & Blessed weapon can both be good. It's really hard to say which is better.

I love beating Tau, :) because I always lose the first 3 turns, then after that, the game becomes ALL mine, as my Seraphim bounce all around his back lines like a pinball. So each game is a great comeback to vctory.

Another point- Tau have some weapons that pin. It might be a good Idea to get Litanies of Faith into your Seraphim Squad to use for Fearlessness, or maybe to use it for invulnerability.
Why?
ANy Tau player worth half his salt will set up a deadly crossfire zone through which you will have to cross to get to his rear lines. You might have no choice but to spend one turn in it. You do NOT want to get pinned in there for 2 turns.

·
Shrubs for the Blood God
1,150 Posts
I recently threw sanity to the wind a retooled my DH list to have 7 Assasins. I kept all my elite slots open and fit in 6 Deathcultists and an Eversor, but in my GK heavy army my intent really isn't to kill troops so much as to keep the enemy bussy.

My plan is to infiltrait all of the assasins and leave the enemy with two choices. 1. Shoot the Assasins (which with 7 in a 1500 game is going to take a couple turns), and leave my GK's largely unmolested as they foot slog accrost the field for a couple of turns. OR 2. ignore the Assasins and concentrait on my GK's, which will alow me to get my Assasins into CC and hopefully kill some and tie the unit up for a turn to give my GK's a little less pressure.

I also hope to tie up any troop based anti-armor squads like tac and hvy weapons platoons to keep the pressure off my Dreads as they trundel along behind my GK's with their assault cannons.

Assasins are a risky thing and I think the best way to think about them is as throw away units, really only the Vindicare is likely to survive a game, the rest...meh, all they gotta do is throw some sand in the gears and keep the enemy off balance.

·
Shrubs for the Blood God
1,150 Posts
gen.nehring said:
i havnt had much success with asassins. My eversor Which ive only used once got 10 attacks against a space marine squad.... i got 2 hits and killed one!
That sounds more like a case of really bad rolls rather than a reason to consider assasins bad. How did you only hit twice with 10 attacks? Eversor's got a WS of 5. Also how did you hit twice and wound once? Were they termies with Invulnrable saves since Eversor's attacks are with power weapons? Surely when the Eversor died and exploded he at least HIT a few more with the blast template?

·
LO Oldie
1,245 Posts
sir, i am THE master of bad rolling. i was attacking a tactical squad, two lousy hits with WS5! then only one 4+!

an another occasion, i scored 8 hits with heavy bolter against a T7 carnifex with only 2 wounds left i divine guidanced the squad, and rolled 4 1's and 4 2's!

;)

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
lol thats why you roll to hit first then before you roll to wound decide if ya want to use the faith

·
Registered
29 Posts
Plague_00 said:
lol thats why you roll to hit first then before you roll to wound decide if ya want to use the faith
I must have misread something - doesn't DG go off at the start of the phase? Can you declare that you're using it after you've rolled to hit?

Sorry for the tangent.

·
Shrubs for the Blood God
1,150 Posts
gen.nehring said:
sir, i am THE master of bad rolling. i was attacking a tactical squad, two lousy hits with WS5! then only one 4+!

an another occasion, i scored 8 hits with heavy bolter against a T7 carnifex with only 2 wounds left i divine guidanced the squad, and rolled 4 1's and 4 2's!

;)
Lol, I know where your comming from on bad attack rolls, I too am quite poor in my attack rolling. I once charged a Grand Master and four Termies into a horde of Gaunts and killed three......THREE. Although I do have god rolls when it comes to armor saves and moral checks, I once kept four IST's alive through three rounds of combat with a swarm of Gaunts...I was rolling nothing but 5's and 6's then. I think the nid player wanted to cry...

·
LO Zealot
1,322 Posts
lard said:
I must have misread something - doesn't DG go off at the start of the phase? Can you declare that you're using it after you've rolled to hit?

Sorry for the tangent.
yeh you can choose to divine guidance after you hit.

I love the death-cult assasins, probably more than the callidus, though weaker I do love it when this tiny assasin goes on a rampage. It's also not much of a loss if she does die since she's very cheap. Only thing is I don't really expect her to live half the time :p

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
thats what their best at the whole yeh she'll die but will hold up ur termies for a turn at least and may even take somewith her

·
LO Zealot
1,322 Posts
Plague_00 said:
thats what their best at the whole yeh she'll die but will hold up ur termies for a turn at least and may even take somewith her

erm...I wouldn't charge termies with her personally lol, she'll most likely end up acting as a stepping stone for them rather than holding them up :p

What she is good for though is supporting some combats. Never know when 4 power weapon attacks at strength 4 may come handy. Certainly has turned a few combats around for me, mostly with the inquisitor or storm troopers :)

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
heh heh i'll never forget the first time i used her it was ina 4-way 1000 point game she ate her way through a 6 man termie squad and went in to hold up a ork squad for 2 turns

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.