Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Undivided armies for as long as I've played Chaos (going on 12 years now!), and I think I'd like to try some Cult forces. I like tough armies, so Death Guard seems like a good idea. Plus, 14 is my lucky number! Here's my 1st shot at a 2,000 pt list:

HQ:
Demon Prince w/ MoN, wings

TROOPS:
10 Plague Marines
2 meltas
Champ w/ PF
Rhino w/ extra armor

10 Plauge Marines
2 meltas
Champ w/ PF
Rhino w/ extra armor

10 Plague Marines
2 meltas
Champ w/ PF
Rhino w/ extra armor

10 Plague Marines
2 meltas
Champ w/ PF
Rhino w/ extra armor

HEAVY SUPPORT
3 Vindicators w/ DP

This list comes out to be 1,945 pts, but I'm really stuck on what to add to make 2,000. Any suggestions would help a lot. Also, I was thinking about dropping a Vindicator in order to facilitate 5 squads of Plague Marines: 2 in Rhinos w/ meltas, and 3 on foot w/ plasmas. Thoughts? Questions? Comments? Concerns? I'm still pretty new to 4th Ed. Chaos, so any help would be awesome!

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Love the redundancy, craftman.

It's difficult to count on melta fire as your sole tank busting. This is the main problem, and actually, the only one. You don't need any more Plaguers; you have enough, I say ;). First things first.

Prince: Give him warp time. It will almost double his kills per round.

Vindis: Hmm. Well, you don't actually need three. Two should suffice. OR, you could drop them all told and pick up three predators with las-sponsons, which would entirely fix your lack of long range tank busting. Another option would be to drop the vindis, but take only two of the above preds. With the remaining points, you could then field a small terminator squad with high counts of combi-plasma.

Best of luck. Overall, a solid build.

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, I can see what you mean about meltas not being a guarantee against tanks. I would really like to keep the Vindies, though. I think I'll playtest the army a few times to see how it handles vehicles; the idea of exchanging the Vindies for Preds is tempting...

Yeah, Warptime seems like the power to get for the Demon Prince. I was thinking Nurgle's Rot but it's kind of lame in comparison.

What do you think about extra armor on Rhinos? I was inclined to buy it, but dropping it would save 60 pts and facilitate some nasty extra stuff (like a Greater Demon maybe).

Also, what about the lack of standard infantry for Escalation purposes? I guess it depends on the gaming environment, but I was curious about y'all's opinions regarding non-mechanized Death Guard.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Nurgles rot is actually damn good when you are facing horde armies.
Yes, it is. In fact, it's almost too good to be legal, heh. If faced against a horde, then Nurgle's Rot is a top choice. It's also much improved over our 3rd edition Rot- for swarms and MEQs alike. For instance, if you can get just 9 enemy marines within 6" of the psyker, you're statistically going to take down 1 model. In 3rd edition, it was 1/18. Not bad, but Warp Time is an overall better choice. It will work wonders when paired off against enemy monstrous creatures and MEQs alike.

Heavy Slots: You could also keep two vindis and take a single las-sponson predator. Just another option.

Rhinos with Extra Armor: In 5th edition, extra armor will become virtually an automatic upgrade on all rhinos, so keep this in mind. Presently, eh, it's just ok. With two to three vindis on the table, those will be your opponent's main focus for tank busting; those, and your prince. Given this, your rhinos do fairly well without extra armor.

EDIT: Have you considered taking Defilers over vindis? The range is not something to be denied. Plus, vindis must get rather close to the enemy, which permits side shots on the fragile 11 armor.

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'll stick to Vindicators over Defilers, if for nothing else but the intimidation factor of demolisher cannons, but dropping 1 for a lascannon Predator sounds like a pretty good idea. I was going for a short-range assault-oriented army, so I figured Vindies would be the best choice.

I was pondering the feesibility of a more footslogging force, say w/ plasma guns instead of meltas. Does anyone have experience w/ both mechanized and footslogging Death Guard? Plus, once 5th edition comes out and the Plague Marines can get close to the enemy I think an infantry-based army would be pretty effective.

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so here's the 2nd draft of the army; I'll be playtesting it soon (this weekend hopefully!)

HQ:
Demon Prince w/ MoN, wings, Nurgle's Rot

TROOPS:
10 Plague Marines
2 meltas
Champ w/ PF, combi-melta
Rhino w/ EA

...4 total of the above squad

HEAVY SUPPORT
3x Vindicators w/ DP

It's 2,000 pts exactly. I know it doesn't have long range anti-tank firepower, but I want to see how a shorter-ranged, more in-your-face army works. Hopefully 7 vehicles can be suitably overwhelming for most armies to deal with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.