Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been planning this project for a while but wanted to hold off posting about it until I actually had made a start and pictures to post! Didn't want this to become one of the many "I have a great idea for a project" posts that never shows any progress ;)

Background
I've returned to 40k after about a 2yr absence. When I last played, I collected a Cadian IG - this was made entirely of metal models, predating the plastics. I mainly played in my local GW store and although it started out fun, I soon found that the vast majority of store gamers were more concerned with winning and it was something of a competition to see who could create the cheesiest, most abusive army list possible. In the end, I decided that this wasn't the 40k I wanted to play so packed it in and played Blood Bowl exclusively.

I've since moved home, there is a new edition out, and as I enjoy the painting side perhaps more than playing, I've decided to revisit 40k again. Painting Blood Bowl teams of 20 players has conditioned me to view a new 100+ model IG army as something of a chore, so for my first return army I've decided to collect something small, elite and with a lot of "character" to make the painting and modelling side more interesting. I considered a wide range of armies and although I briefly considered Grey Knights (I've always had a soft spot for them) in the end I decided to go Death Guard. Not only will it allow me to do some relatively easy conversions to "get back into the swing" of converting (if I screw up a Nurgle conversion I can just add some pustules and pretend I meant it all along!) but also it will allow me to go to town on the paint jobs.

I must also admit that a large part of choosing Death Guard was down to the wonderful Nurgle models from Forgeworld and I intend to use as many of them as I can. Because of the model-oriented approach, and because I just can't stand powergaming or beardiness, I've chosen the models I like most first of all, then tried to balance out the army second. Although I will of course play to win, I don't much care if I lose and would rather have the satisfaction of a good game using great models than having a 100% win record. Finally, I don't intend to buy every model in the army up front - for me, a wall of unpainted metal is rather daunting - so I will be aiming to spend £50+ a month and paint it before moving onto the next unit. This will also let me play 400, 1000 and 1500 point games as the army grows, and I'll include the results of any games I play in this post. So without further ado...

Army Composition
As other posts have done, I will use the following key to track progress
Not bought
Bought
Cleaned, assembled & primed
Basecoated/some details (in progress)
Completed

HQ
Nurgle Daemon Prince (GW) converted with wings
Greater Daemon of Nurgle (Forgeworld)

Troops
Plague Marine Squad (7) w. 2 x Plasma Gun (only 1 plasma at this time)
Plague MarineSquad (7) w. 2 x Melta Gun, Champion w. Power Fist & Rhino
Forgeworld Plague Marine Torsos
Plague Marine Squad (8 ) w 2 x Flamer, Champion
Forgeworld Plague Marine Torsos
PlagueBearers (7)

Elites
Terminator Squad, 3 x Combi Plasma, Heavy Flamer, Chain Fist
Forgeworld Terminator Torsos
Dreadnought w. Twin Lascannon, CCW

Heavy Support
Havoc Squad, Lascannon/Autocannon/Missile Launcher/Heavy Bolter, Icon of Nurgle

By my last count this came to approximately 1500 points. All plague marines will be either the GW metals, or the plastic CSM with Forgeworld torsos. Havocs will be plastic with FW torso, as will the Terminators.

I'll attempt to photograph everything as I assemble/prime/paint them to show how I approach it, although the quality of photograph is likely to be "rushed" for primed models, with more attention given to the final painted ones. We all know what a primed model looks like ;)

Any comments, critical or otherwise, are welcomed and although I'm unlikely to change the army composition much at this stage, suggestions for how to improve the balance of the force are also welcomed. I'm still undecided about expanding it out to 2000 points and if I do, I'm strongly considering a heavily converted Vindicator :)

Purchase Order
Month 1
Metal Plague Marine Squad
Nurgle Daemon Prince
Wings (from Heresy Miniatures)
Month 2
Terminators
FW Terminator Conversion Kit
FW CSM Conversion kit
Month 3
2 x CSM Box Set
Rhino
Month 4
Nurgle Dreadnought (+ arms)
FW Rhino Doors
Month 5
FW CSM Conversion Kit
Havocs
Month 6 (or my birthday, whichever comes sooner)
Greater Daemon of Nurgle :)

** EDIT: I realised after I typed this I forgot to bring the photos of the assembled/primed Plague Marine squad in to work... great start! Having typed all this I have decided to post it anyway and add the photos back in at a later date, not retyping all this with the colour coding!

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
Pics, mate, or it didn't happened! :act-up: :beer:

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Sounds like an exciting project to be going on with. I would say you made a good choice of army; a Nurgle force will never amount the number of models in an Imperial Guard force and always provide interesting opportunities for conversions.

I wish you luck, and can't wait to see more. :]

P.S: Last update 3rd December? Today is the second, you hoon. =D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: When I learned I couldn't buy the Nurgle Daemon Prince outside of GW Mail Order I decided to go to my local store and order one immediately. Now placing the order for the wings as we speak :)

I also have a blister on my finger from the pin vice I used to pin all the Plague Marines.

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
I also have a blister on my finger from the pin vice I used to pin all the Plague Marines.
You think it is from the pin... it is the first sign of Nurgle infestation! Which is actually good since you are making a Nurgle army, which we haven't seen yet so we can assume it doesn't exists... :act-up:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: Forgeworld are bad, bad men. They made me buy the CSM Torsos, Terminator Torsos and a Nurgle Dreadnought with Lascannon & CCW. They made me. Damn them and their beautiful models ;)

The first metal squad of plague marines are now entirely assembled and ready for painting with the exception of the "champion-style" figure with the tabard - due to a cock up on my part, I confused the models and gave the sword arm to another figure. I'll be damned if the would be champion is just wielding a crappy plague knife so I've had a look around for conversion opportunities. I decided in the end that a simple sword wouldn't suffice so I've managed to find a suitable Scythe for him to wield - a little greenstuffing should see it turn nicely into a powerscythe! Unfortunately this means he is the only model who isn't yet assembled but I can at least make a start on the rest of the unit. Also, he now will sadly have two identically patterned shoulderpads which looks a bit funny but considering that the blister on my finger popped and bled onto a model due to excessive pinning, I am not ripping off another arm and reconverting :)

Pics - argh these are driving me mad. I brought the camera memory card into work only to find that the "multi function card readers" are not actually connected to the motherboard (and I am not allowed to open up the case to connect it), then when I put them onto USB I found that the pictures are so shockingly bad they look silly - I know that a picture of primed and assembled plague marines hardly needs pro photo skills but I wanted something better than fuzzy white blurs! So hopefully I can sort this out again tonight and get some actual photos online tomorrow... I do have this project started, honest...

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
...but I wanted something better than fuzzy white blurs!
You start with the white pirmer? I would love to see that!!! But I forget... you haven't posted pics! :freaked-out:

I am just messing with you... nothing personal! Would love to see the work on your models as Nurgle is my favorite deity... your plans sound very nica and I have to agree that FW people are mean with all these pics... :beer:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I would normally use black but that's only because I'm lazy it makes shading easy. Instead, I wanted "bright decay" if that makes sense, so although the models are clearly rotten & diseased the painting style I'm aiming for is not messy like most Nurgle armies, but cleaner and crisper instead. Should be quite a challenge.

Since my Daemon Prince arrived today I intend to get a whole slew of photos online and posted over the weekend.

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
You can always paint them as cleanly as you like and in some parts use the new Green from the new paint range... (Can't remember the name now...) Watered down of course!

This way it will just get dirty the clean parts of the armor without making it too Nurgly!

And what about the pics yet? :freaked-out:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Update: Pictures at last. But still not exactly what I wanted - I created a Flickr account here at work because imageshack and photobucket are blocked (others take note, not everyone can access your photos!!) and although Flickr itself is NOT blocked, the uploader section of the site IS. So until we get the internet activated at home they are on a random image hosting site. When I get internet, I'll rehost everything on Flickr. So without further ado, onto the update.

The Daemon Prince arrived on Friday so I left work early to go collect it from my local GW. All washed and ready to assemble it looks like this -

I did smile when I saw this all assembled and laid out. Even though I've been in the hobby for years, I can't help but remember the times when a model like this would be so daunting I'd need my parents to do it :) Ah the good old metal Furioso Dreadnought. Anyway, the eagle eyed amongst you will notice not one but TWO swords. I've had the second, nonGW sword for some time now and I've been looking for a use for it for ages. My initial thought was that it was big - VERY big - compared to the stock GW one but frankly it looked so much better I resolved to try it out anyway. See below for a comparison.

The end result was this

but I find this shot REALLY puts it into perspective.

Now, at this stage I was going to simply leave it and post on here, asking for advice and suggestions for an alternate as I thought at the time it really was too large. Then the sword and the left arm fell off, making my decision as to whether or not I should remove it quite easy :) Kids, superglue + accelerant is good stuff but still not sufficient on it's own to glue a Daemon Prince arm on without pinning. As the sword had fell off it gave me a chance to clean up the join, remove the excess epoxy residue then have a think about what I want to replace it with. The arm went back on, pinned. Next, I started with the wings:

Wings are from B'Hakaranoth (spelling?) from Heresy - multi-part fantasy miniatures for your dungeon (as was the sword, although the sword is OOP).

By the end of the weekend I'd managed to get one attached, as well as the head.

Trouble is, the left arm gets in the way for the left wing so I see a looong period holding the parts together while the epoxy resin sets (superglue ain't enough). Also, I need some advice. For the left wing I was considering cutting out a chunk and repositioning the "wing armature", the bit with talons, to create a withered, diseased look. I'm not sure though - any thoughts? As you can see the sword has now gone.

So on the subject of the weapon, I think my options are:

1) Trim the large sword down to 2/3 of it's current length, then resculpt a wicked-looking edge.
2) Restore the stock GW one
3) Use one of these below - I am particularly liking the cleaver looking one, the scythe is nice but the hand is in the wrong place I think?

Thoughts on a weapon replacement?

Also, I've alluded to the fact that I screwed up the arm choices on my metal deathguard, leaving the unit Champion with a frankly pathetic looking knife. I purchased a replacement scythe from Heresy:

My next experiment was my virgin experience with a new GW Airbrush. Having never used this before I was keen to see the effects, but given the complete and utter lack of instructions or advice from the GW store I bought it at, I'm not sure I used enough paint in the mixture and the first run was frankly dreadful. I think I need more practice and will be posting for advice in another forum. But after a second coat with more foundation paint and less water, the Plague Marines are looking SLIGHTLY better than they were - I'm not happy with hoiw the paint has seperated out, I wanted a uniform green colour and although the pictures look a lot bluer than they do IRL, the minis now look, well, messy. Not happy.

So, a long time coming but some images and progress to report at last. This week I intend to paint the Champion of the Plague Marines as a "proof of concept" for my proposed paint scheme and style, otherwise I will be contnuing to assemble the Daemon Prince. Of course, when the FW Dreadnought arrives later this week, that may all go on hold :)

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
I can see all the pics. Don't worry on me... I like the cleaver looking weapon! That's awesome for a Nurgle DP...

On the other part the airbrush seems to work very nice... although it produces too clean models! :act-up:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: I've managed to get the photos rehosted on Flickr now so should be visible to all. Comments/criticisms appreciated.

In other news, I have successfully attached the second wing to the Daemon Prince. The cleaver I am considering is £4.50 (!) - a little pricey for my tastes - so I think I will be chopping off 1/3 of his current sword and remodelling it slightly. Plans then are to fill all the cracks & glue mistakes using greenstuff, cover the wing/body join and resculpt some detail and get it undercoated.

I have also tidied up my Plague Marines, pictures to come, as well as blacked out all the areas that need it (shoulder edging, weapons etc) in preparation for the next stage.

Plans for the rest of this week are:

1) Purchase new bronze & metallic paints, mine have dried out!
2) Complete the metallic portions of the Plague Marines then airbrush them with brown wash.
This is an experiment, normally I'd rarely use washes and shade it all by hand but it means I rarely completely finish an army!
3) Finish the Daemon Prince assembly and get it undercoated.

Getting worried that my FW dreadnought & torsos are yet to arrive...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts