Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Is the Death Korps Of Krieg a GW recognized army? I REALLY love the models, and am thinking about starting an army, but I don't really understand the relationship between GW and FW? Any info on this stuff I would really appreciate. You guys seem to know all about WH and WH 40K, so I know I can get my answer here!

Thanks!!!

·
846 Posts
As Forgeworld is actually a sister company (or something to that effect) any of their models are completely viable for games. However most of the 'special' forgeworld models aren't generally legal in tournament play or under most circumstances.

If You wanted to just use the DKOK models as opposed to regular guardsmen (without using special tank variants or super-heavies) it would be completely acceptable. Keep in mind the price range however.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
As long as you use the codex doctrines, you cay play DKofK no problem. You just can't use the 'special' non-codex items.

Cheers, DH

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome thanks guys.

I know I am totally a Noob, so thanks for entertaining my silly questions.

So just to clarify, you can use the DKoK, but just the models, not the rules found for them in the imperial armour book by FW? Thanks for the help. And I would love to start an army, but your right about the fact that, They are quite spendy, but over time, maybe I could have a full Korps.

·
Registered
610 Posts
You could always play them as combat patrol for a while, that's what I intend to do some day wih the Elysian's. Nobody says you have to have a 1,500pts army.

£36 or £40 for ten men is a big dent and for your first army you really are best going for Cadians or Catachans, unless your loaded. Spread the cost over half a year and you'll have your 400pts starter force.

·
709 Posts
Just to be sure: DKoK Rough Riders miniatures are legal in tournaments provided that they represent "normal" Rough Riders?
This is correct. You can play them as normal rough riders.

Baneblades, titans, gorgons, other special models are generally out. However I think you could field their greater daemon models are normal greater daemons.

(This also means things like Harkoni Warhawks can be played as regular IG)

·
Registered
50 Posts
You can play the DKoK like in Imperial Armor, but not on tournaments, because the rules for them are not balanced enough compared to GW stuff. In an ordinary game that's no problem because nobody cars about little differences, but on tournaments there are a lot of rulesuckers who even begin to scream if a model lost his boltpistol -.- But in usual games- just play Imperial Armor, its ok, just remeber that super heavies are allowed, but are totally unfair in a 1500points game ;)

·
Painting Machine!
2,668 Posts
Awesome thanks guys.

I know I am totally a Noob, so thanks for entertaining my silly questions.

So just to clarify, you can use the DKoK, but just the models, not the rules found for them in the imperial armour book by FW? Thanks for the help. And I would love to start an army, but your right about the fact that, They are quite spendy, but over time, maybe I could have a full Korps.
This is correct. In tournaments, you could not use the FW rules or special models, but the regular DKoK models could count as regular guardsmen, and their rough riders as rough riders.

Tekore

·
Registered
179 Posts
Everything's already been covered, but to Ghost407 - don't worry about asking what you think are silly questions - there's no such thing! (well, unless you're asking if a regular guardsman could hold his own in assaulting 8 genestealers).

A great choice for your army, the Death Korps are truely amazing, even more so up close.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot guys!!!

This helps a lot! I really do love the models and the fact that they can be used in most games, (or all games as regular guard) is really great!! Thanks for the help, you guys know so much, you should put your collective Warhammer knowledge together and write an encyclopedia or something!

I really appreciate the help!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Excellent.

As you get to about 1000pts of guard, if you want more help or suggestions on how to take your army to 1500pts, or 2000pts, you could post your army list in the army list forum and let people offer suggestions of expanding your army.

There is an online 40K encylcopedia too - it's like a wikipedia but for Warhammer. Google Lexicanum and you'll find it - there's a bunch of Krieg stuff on there you might find interesting!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Remember as well that resin can be a pain at times to deal with, whilst I find it generally easier to clean up than plastic and definately more so than metal, you will probably have a few small holes that need filling and it can be fragile, especially the guns. At £36 a shot take your time.

Good luck with it!

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Be Carefull
I have an Elysian army, (for the OP another Forgeworld imperial Guard army whose rules are in Imperial Armour 3 and 4)

Our local indie strore has no problems with me using them, even in tourneys

BUT some tourneys are very competative, and sometimes they state "Only GW models", there is the odd anally retentive one that wont let you use DKOK, but onyl abotu 10 %, figure out where you are going to play and ask them would be my advice

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again guys,

And thanks for the Lexicanum search, that is an absolutely awesome site!

So I only ordered a couple of models to get me started and the IA book. I guess I should get a list in for 1000pts before I start shelling out all sorts of dough for these guys. As far as the resin models goes. I guess I am going to need to get some green stuff? Also is there a good, better, best glue / adhesive to be used or is it the same as the platic? Thanks for the help guys, I really do appreciate all of it. DKOK!!!!

·
Oberstleutnant
293 Posts
It's a good question and I have planned to move into DKOK as well.

I've ordered my first mini's and over the next few weeks I'll be pawning some chaos stuff I haven't touched to help finance it.

Check out the picture of the day thread in the painting section of this forum for some DKOK pictures.

Also, if FW costs too much, look at converting some other GW IG mini's to look like DKOK.

Edit: further to the above, his a link to bobahat's conversion guide for rough riders you may like http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/modelling/68107-death-riders-krieg-conversion-guide.html

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
ok bits you may find usefull:

Resin models: normal FW models are pretty accurate at the "guardsmen" level, however there is usually a high level of "Flash" which you need to clean with a scalpel

Recently (the last 4-6 months) FW are clearly struggling with their production lines, and increased volume has resulted in poorer quality, if a model is un-recoverable then phone them, they have a pretty good customer service department

Resin models are often covered in the lubricant from the mould, this will stop paint adhereing properly, you need to clean this off, do this with warm watter with a little waskign up liquid and a brush (tooth or scrubbing) before assembly or undercoating

sometimes the models just dont fit well, if you phone them it wont help, you need to repose limbs (usually arms) by heating (either hot water or a hair dryer, I recomend the former as although it takes more time, doing the latter wrong results in a blob of resin rather than a re-positioned limb)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.