Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flipping through the codex just now I got to wondering, if Lucius continues to live because he becomes who ever killed him what happens if you kill Lucius then shove a grenade down your throat. Or if you mortar him from afar.
Would this get rid of him forever?

·
Sadomachiatto
7,076 Posts
I'm not sure the Dark gods are quite so literal with thier rules or actions matey.

It's not like Slaanesh will role a D6, get a 1 and say, 'Aah, fair enough Lucius, that's how the game goes, all's fair in love and war.'

I think the point is that Slaanesh wants to keep Lucius around.. so, it'll find away to preserve him one way or another.

I'm no fluff master, but I'd say that total destruction of his warp presence would be the only way to truly get rid of Lucius.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Id always wondered why he didnt have that to.
Our other characters have skills based on fluff but the closest Lucius got was the Martial Pride ability.
He needs some kind of reserves roll to bring him back and remove an opponents model.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
I don't know and I'm probably breaking rules, but lucius can be killed, but for every successful armor save he makes the attacker gets hit. hope thats not too much info.

Or are we talking strictly in terms of fluff? I think I got excited, cos I actually know something for once. Lucius is my favorite fluff character, him and kharn ;)

·
Son of LO
3,475 Posts
It takes weeks for Lucius to reincarnate. Hence why he can't do it in game like the saint.

Yeah slaanesh is going to be pissed though if a basilisk accidently kills him and the crew don't realise. No-one to feel pride over the kill and hence Slaanesh will have to do it the old fashioned way.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Id always wondered why he didnt have that to.
Our other characters have skills based on fluff but the closest Lucius got was the Martial Pride ability.
He needs some kind of reserves roll to bring him back and remove an opponents model.
It's because fluffwise it takes weeks.. long, slow agonizing weeks.

Slannesh isn't for explosions of blood and quicksilver transformations, it's protracted and horrible all the way.

And yes, the basic point is that Slannesh will effectively not allow Lucius to die, he doesn't abide by mechanical rules. If the host is not suitable (due to death or because it can't be corrupted, etc), I'd imagine a Slannesh worshipper who forgot to pray last week or hasn't been wallowing enough in the sensory filth of the universe finds he's in for a very nasty surprise. The Gods are fickle..

And he's not the only one.. Kharn has died at least once. I'd guess as long as these champions have the favour of the Gods, and as long as the Gods are empowered through mortal worship and emotion, they won't ever be allowed to die.

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
That all said, If Lucius got on the wrong side of an Alpha+ psykers onslaught like Horus did Slannesh might not get much choice in the matter....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Has anyone thought about Lucius being killed by the Necrons or Tyranid organisms? Granted the Necron Lords do not have any presence in the Warp for Slannesh to manipulate, and the Tyranids according to the Shadow in the Warp effects blocks out all psychic ability.

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
There are probably some tricky methods of trapping souls in phylacteries that would circumvent his eternal reincarnation. But Lucius is basically one step down from a Daemon Prince, and DP's are essentially immortal in the same fashion - kill them and all they have to do is wait until it's their turn to materialise again.

Though it would be nice if things were that literal...it'd make a nice end to a story. Hero Guy gets impaled on Lucius' sword, then decapitates Lucius. Big cheesy "Noooooo!" and a Wilhelm scream. Hero Guy bleeds out as the sun rises. Very cinematic.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The thing with Lucius ability to return from the Dead is that his killer has to feel something when he kills Lucius. Like joy or pride. So, if the killer doesn't have feelings (Necrons, Nids) or doesn't feel anything about it (maybe don't even take notice, i doubt an Imperator Titan Commander would know what he just stomped into the ground), literally anyone in the galaxy who heard of Lucius dead and celebrates about it will get the curse.

Of course, as already mentioned, even if you could construct a scenario where he can't be revived by these rules, Slaanesh would simply change them.

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
And yes, the basic point is that Slannesh will effectively not allow Lucius to die, he doesn't abide by mechanical rules. If the host is not suitable (due to death or because it can't be corrupted, etc), I'd imagine a Slannesh worshipper who forgot to pray last week or hasn't been wallowing enough in the sensory filth of the universe finds he's in for a very nasty surprise. The Gods are fickle..
I would say that the worshipper who prayed the MOST would get be lucius, it is after all also considered an honor to be the vessel of a greater daemon :).

And yeah, i agree, slaanesh doesn't care, somewhere, lucius will come back.

·
Dusk Phantom
713 Posts
10th Lyran and I were talking about how to kill Lucius, because quite seriously we both hate his guts. We were saying if Carcerus or Desmond fought Lucius they would no doubt kill the little sleaze bag, but problem is - Desmond would feel pride for killing him and thus most likely succumb to the curse. Which is why, Lyran came up with the plan of kicking Lucius' ass without killing him, then locking him in a cell and burrying him for the rest of his screwed up life. Being denied the pleasures of sensation, and more specifically bearing the shame of defeat, is much more powerful I think than merely killing him.

·
Formerly BrotherAzriel
2,373 Posts
thing is though, if a titan steps on him or a necron zaps him and feels nothing, then they wont come back.

however

there are bound to be marines in luciuses warband that want him dead (as we ofton see within chaos forces) for what ever reason be it personal gain or through some slight lucius caused them, as soon as that marine smirks, or feels joy that his rival is gone, Blam, he sees a face in his armour and we know what happens next.

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
10th Lyran and I were talking about how to kill Lucius, because quite seriously we both hate his guts. We were saying if Carcerus or Desmond fought Lucius they would no doubt kill the little sleaze bag, but problem is - Desmond would feel pride for killing him and thus most likely succumb to the curse. Which is why, Lyran came up with the plan of kicking Lucius' ass without killing him, then locking him in a cell and burrying him for the rest of his screwed up life. Being denied the pleasures of sensation, and more specifically bearing the shame of defeat, is much more powerful I think than merely killing him.
On a purely narrative note, I would avoid that kind of encounter entirely. In-universe character cameos can be meaningful if done well, but if your only reason for including Lucius is so your protagonist can beat the snot out of him, I'd think twice. For one, you'll alienate readers who do like Lucius (he's one of the more interesting special characters, both in personality and background) and for two it can come off incredibly camp and self-servicing; "My fictional character can totally beat the stuffing out of this other guy's fictional character," and so on.

The best way to include characters like Mephiston or Ahriman or Lucius is to deal with it tangentially. They're the big guns, and you have to concede that since you're writing fanon your characters are lesser artillery. Instead of upstaging them, either refer to them in passing ("I bet even Lucius couldn't do that") or include them as a supporting character or antagonist for a story arc. And never, ever, ever kill them, because that breaks canon worse than a female Space Marine. Lucius is special because he resurrects, but the unique method of his resurrection makes his death tricky to work with.

It's like, I want to write a Star Wars story but I hate Jacen Solo, so my story will be about my Sith Lord beating seventeen types of crap out of his pansy Jedi face. Lots of people who like Jacen (for those unfamiliar with the EU, he's Hans' son and a Jedi) are going to take offence to that, and more importantly, they'll see it as pretentious and disregard my little tale. Even if it is a heart-wrenching epic ballad of pain and loss and falling to the dark, they'll automatically hate it because Jacen Solo got his ass kicked.

Just throwing that out there.

Reactions: Rabbit

·
Dusk Phantom
713 Posts
Well we just like to talk about scenarios and such, I have no interest or intention of making anything like that. It's really just talk. So take it easy Poodle, I'm not tying to do any of the things you just said - you completely blew it out of proportion there mate. What matters is the scenario, that that's how we would deal with him. This isn't about fanfics, this isn't about my character beating the snot out of any old 30K characters. Which is why I said both Carcerus and Desmond together. But the point is moot since I was just stating a scenario, so no need to get your Fluffmaster panties in a bunch :p

On a second level, it's completely feasible for me to do this (which I do not) because if done properly it's quite possible that Desmond or Carcerus -could- kick the snot out of him. Especially Carcerus, because he's just that good, he could probably at least give him a run for his money, and both combined against him could tip the tables in their favor. - If you've ever read any Salvatore novels, you will see that even though both characters are considered the best in their game there are people who are on both sides, while Salvatore will usually pick the good guy there are always moments where the other side wins without alienating his own readers he brings his own challenges and still keeps all the fluff-lovers happy. Therefore it is possible to site your own scenario and still keep readers interested in the litterature and not just their character winning.

I know I love Artemis Entreri, even when he gets his ass kicked, I still read him and support him and hate Drizzt. I'm not about to write Salvatore an angry letter because my favorite character got his ass kicked. Let's all grow up a bit here.

Now, for the last time - this was just a scenario that we were talking about, I'm not about to write it, or include it - if I ever include anything close to being Emperor's Children, it'll be to mention them in passing.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.