Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the catachan codex and it has left me with a few questions.

1. Is ambush a good tactic? How is it most effective?

2. Is it better to have your entire army deathworld, or just an attachment?

3. Seeing and shooting through 12" of wooded terrain, does this mean my heavy bolters/las cannons/auto cannons could shoot at the enemy with impunity from 7" in wooded terrain?

4. Anyone had any success with Sly Marbo?

Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Well, sly marbo is pretty hard for his points, but he needs to be used carefully. I have seen him used to pick on small squads to great effect.

·
No Rest For the Righteous
1,140 Posts
I have a friend who plays/played them, who let me try them out once. I can answer a few of your questions.

I have never used or seen anyone use the ambush rules, but I think they provide some good opportunity for tactics.

All Deathworld or part Deathworld, it all depends on your strategy.

Yes, you absolutely can.

My friend said Sly Marbo was good if used correctly, but I myself have never gotten to use him.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know it would be great to use these guys, but it would be hit or miss on the terrain at the store.

No one ever has much terrain on the board. And I don't think anyone would agree to play against jungle fighters on a jungle board.

Average players on average boards with average armies. Nobody wants a real challenge.

But then the Ork player shows up.......

·
1,140 Posts
Thats pretty lame if they won't play you in jungle terrain. The Catachan army list is designed for it, and is almost pointless in other terrain. You're allowed by the rulebook to choose three peices of terrain(out of 6) anyways, so you should be able to get a game with at least 3 forest terrains.

I've noticed that many players play with little terrain, and its a real shame. Terrain makes the game more fun. If you're going to take a few bushes, a tree, and one building, and put them all to the corners of the table or on your own side for your advantage, why even use terrain?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree. I always play with heaps of terrain, so there is no line of sight to heaps of the board from one place. It also means you can maenouveure your guys around, and hide in it, gaining valuable cover saves.

·
1,140 Posts
The funny thing is, I know a Tau player who prefers more terrain, with the idea being that his guys can get more cover from enemy shooting, and it helps his jet packs and skimmers be more of an advantage. So people can't really use "but my army is shooty, I'll lose" as an excuse.

·
1,037 Posts
lots of terrain for tau is great keep well bac and shoot em when the enter the bottleneck

·
Registered
329 Posts
im confused, can a normal imperial guard army take deathworld veterans units and if so how and do you need a deathworl hq?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts