Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive always admired the amazing senic buildings in games workshops. But does anyone know how to make them look that good? what paint? what materials?

·
Registered
3 Posts
alright guys, i'll type a little crash cource in cityfight. this is how i make the buildings that i sell. the only thing i cant explain to you is be creative. just do it. (lol, i sounded like my dad just there). ok, i use 1/2 inche pink insulation foam (its a hard pink board used to insulate houses and junk). home depot sells it in 2' x 8' sheets for can $12.oo i think. ok, so one i get that, i watch every war movie i can till i find a design i like, expecially saving private ryan and enemy at the gates. so i cut the basic walls, then draw where my windows will be. make sure the bottom of the window is 1/2 inch from the floor on the inside. it looks good, and it makes sure imperial guards guns stick out and look pretty. so then hot glue it together. alot of people will tell you that hot glue melts the foam but its just a myth. so glue it all together. heres where it gets fun. board up windows with bits of cut popsical sticks, make sniper nests on the top floor. steal your dads paint that was supposed to be for repainting the house and go nuts. for the best plan though. go to home hardware and get a small can of black and get them to color match codex grey for you. now, use aresol glue and mist the entire building lightly. this eats the foam but only like a millimeter in. this adds easy grit to drybrush on. first paint it black then add more and more grey to get lighter and lighter shades. i usually do 5- 10 coats but its up to you. the building shulod only have 2 walls or 3 max. never four unless its one story with no roof. so make the 2 walls meet like an l then join them with crude triangles that will be the floors on the inside. wow that was long but i hope it helped.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Cool trick with the spray glue...I use old ceiling tiles to make my buildings. I need em to be strong enough to handle a lot of gamers abuse and be able to transport to multiple sites.
DIY centers in the USA will make and match any color you bring in to show them, so you can match any GW paint color and not have to go broke painting that building you just made.

WAAAGH!

Warlord Hakbash

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Just compare the colours you seen on the buildings and have someone mix that paint for you... maybe from a home improvement store or anything similar.
Don't use GW paints... the actual price for it and the amount you need will make it too expencive.
Avoid making building completely from cardboard, this won't be strong enough during several battles...
Try to make use of foamboard or MDF bourds or plywood.
Perhaps it's not the cheepest way to make buildings, but at leats they'll hold a long time...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Corrugated cardboard is cheap (or free) and is good for making ruined building scenery. Coated with a layer of PVA woodglue mixed with sand (or kitchen scouring powder!), is looks pretty good, is fairly strong and takes well to painting.

Cheers
Malc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.