Librarium Online Forums banner

Decision on Grey Knights

2K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  Heathen 
#1 ·
I am going to start a grey knight army and was looking through a friends Dh codex deiding what i was going to buy and came to a dillema (Sp?) I couldnt decide whether to go with 10 terminators with a chimera and 15 grey knights or 3 squads of terminators and 2 grey knights (No chimera) I was also considering getting dreadnoughts... any ideas?

Edit: Id also like to point out that my army will be hosuing 2 squads of battle sisters aswell (Or i may drop one of those and buy more terminators)

#2 ·
While the GKT are possibly the coolest unit in the game, they are very expensive to be having any more than 1 medium sized squad every 1500 points. The best bet would probably be to get the codex first, then work out a 500 or 1000 pt army list. Figure out what works best, both in tactics, units, and wargear, then fill out the list to 1500, then 2000, and so on. Spending $400-$500 all at once will make your head spin trying to model and paint every one of them and you could end up buying a very expensive unit that your not even going to use.

#4 ·
just remember

you will never, i repeat never have trouble with infantry. you will need anti armour, and for that, i recommend attached marines, or 1-2 squads of STs with meltaguns, and as alays, a land raider cant hurt. forget about relying on orbital strike, it never hits anything, it is just nice for the 70 point lance strike.

#6 ·
Hmm... i may go Sm as a main army then... am i allowed to make a Raven Guard with inducted Grey Knights? Or should i go Black Templars so i can take an Emporers Champion?

#8 ·
Good... then i will go Black Templars as the mother army list (Just cause i want to convert my personalised Emporers Champion) Then take 1 squad of Gk Terminators and possibly some Battle Sisters... I know im noly allowed 2 troop, 1 Hq, 1 elite and 1 fast attack of inducted... but do each allied army get that E.g cna i take 2 squads of battle sisters and 2 squads of grey knights?

#10 ·
R1p70r said:
I know im noly allowed 2 troop, 1 Hq, 1 elite and 1 fast attack of inducted... but do each allied army get that E.g cna i take 2 squads of battle sisters and 2 squads of grey knights?
Yes, each different ALLIED (not inducted, that means something totally different) contingent gets the 2 Troops, 1 HQ, etc limit. But they all come from the same Force Organization Chart, which the base army also shares. So while you MAY ally in 2 DH and 2 WH Troops choices, you'd only be allowed to also have 2 BT Troops choices as well, as you're only ever allowed 6 Troops choices in a single FOC. Same goes for the other categories - 2 HQ choices max on a single FOC, so you cannot have a BT HQ, a DH HQ, and a WH HQ.

Also remember that your mandatory choices (ie, 2 Troops and 1 HQ) must come from the base army (BT), not the allied contingents.

#11 ·
I'm not entirely sure you can aglomerate a Black Templars, Daemonhunters, and Witch Hunters army all together. I didn't think you could have more than on ally in your army, but I'm probably wrong on that if Meglo is saying you can.

If you can do it, my only thought is that your going to have one very confused army between the Black Templars, the Grey Knights, and the S.O.B's. Each one of those types playes differently from the other and I don't know as each one is gonna overlap the weaknesses of the other (which is typically the reason for allying) This army is gonna have a huge amount of points invested in basic troops and maybe some elites(GKT's) Your not gonna have a lot of points left over to play with Heavy Support Options or HQ's.

I myself have recently decided to roll my existing GK's into a Witch Hunter list to get some speed and anti-armor ability from the WH which I feel works well fluff and game wise a. I don't know if you really need the Black Templar parent list when you combine WH and DH.

I've seen your posts on the WH forum too and it seems you want to be able to have everything and when people tell you it wont be easy you run to another army. My advice is to accept that each army is gonna impose some restrictions on you and try to work within that (little hypocritical after saying that I myself just went to WH). If you want an army that has endless options and minimal restrictions then you should maybe look at regular Space Mariens rather than specialized armies like the DH.

#12 ·
I'm not entirely sure you can aglomerate a Black Templars, Daemonhunters, and Witch Hunters army all together. I didn't think you could have more than on ally in your army, but I'm probably wrong on that if Meglo is saying you can.
Normally you can only have one Ally, but Inquisition armies are allowed to double up, basically because they're all part of the same organization. I don't have any of my books handy, so I can't reference where it says this, but it IS the case. The biggest restriction on using them (either both or independantly) as Allies is that you cannot use their inducted options as well - no base SM, allied WH and/or DH, and inducted IG armies, for example.

But, as Bonzi says, it isn't actually a good idea to have all of those in one force. I'd suggest working on whatever army you want as your base army (BT, it seems) until you have 1500-2000pts. Then, and only then, bring in an ally. And only one at a time. All three of these armies have very different play styles and strengths, and just tossing them into one pile doesn't cover each of their weaknesses in any way.

#13 ·
Hmm... i see both of your points about the 3 army thing... I did decide that i would go just Black Templars and Grey Knights but now I think I'll drop the templars. I really like the dreadnought model however it may be better for me to gom Wh army with Dh allies (I cant help it... i love those Gk Termies.) Well i have awhile to fully decide what i am going to get so i will think it over and keep getting advice from this site. The noly question is... Bt with Gk, Dh with Wh, or Wh with Dh??

#14 · (Edited)
mEGALOMANIAC said:
Normally you can only have one Ally, but Inquisition armies are allowed to double up, basically because they're all part of the same organization. I don't have any of my books handy, so I can't reference where it says this, but it IS the case. The biggest restriction on using them (either both or independantly) as Allies is that you cannot use their inducted options as well - no base SM, allied WH and/or DH, and inducted IG armies, for example.

But, as Bonzi says, it isn't actually a good idea to have all of those in one force. I'd suggest working on whatever army you want as your base army (BT, it seems) until you have 1500-2000pts. Then, and only then, bring in an ally. And only one at a time. All three of these armies have very different play styles and strengths, and just tossing them into one pile doesn't cover each of their weaknesses in any way.
Yes i did want Bt as my main army but only for afew reasons...
1: Painting black armour seems to not take much skill at all (Just underspray black, do an ink/water all over the gloss varnis shoulder pads etc.) And i am no good at painting.
2: I wanted to convert an emporers champion.
3: Dreadnought... I love the model for some reason.

But the dreadnought is available if i go Dh with Wh allies anyway. But i really cannot decide between the Dh/Wh or Wh/Dh groupings.

#15 ·
R1p - You could use an emporer's champion as one of your justicar models in DH (I've seen it done). Instead of black, just do bolt gun metal instead :yes:

~ What might help: go into the WH and DH army sections and look at some of the lists, get a feel for them and what players use the most. Then combine them and see what it turns out with. Go with what you like most, then go get the army to use as parent.

P.S. - With painting, don't fret if you are not the best painter, unless you plan on entering a Grand Tournament, everyones paint jobs are fine. The best you can do is always what people should respect most. :yes:

#16 · (Edited)
Emp's advice is a good one imho. If you like a specifik model, just give him the right equipment and paint him in your army's colour-scheme.

I f you like the Emp. Champ, use him as a justicar (or Inquisitor lord for that matter, though they aren't Space Marines and generally suck).

You can also do a vanilla marine list or a BT list (GW even done a Thousand Sons terminator from the GK model, http://uk.games-workshop.com/convershunklinic, and take the ohh-so-godly terminators with 2x assault cannons, but using GK Models instead of the standard plastic ones.

As a side note, when I started playing I too fell for the striking looks of the GK Terminators. I have a full squad of them now, but I haven't used them in well over a year. I just can't get them to work. I usually play 1500pts and then the Terminators are just to expensive. GK's with sister of battle work well though, GK's fighting hand to hand, and sister providing valuable numbers.

#17 · (Edited)
How m any Gk's would you reccomend then? because i was thinking and i screwed up on my tyranid army by going for looks on weapons instead of what would help... i will still buy 5 termanators but i will get a 1500 point list going first. I will have approxamately £220 to buy this Wh/Dh army. Im going to buy 2 forgeworld exorcists (Heard they are brilliant and prefer that model to the Gw one)...

#18 ·
Well... If you want to use exorcists (they are great!) then you will have to use WH as the parent list.

You will 'need'
Cannoness (jump pack, blessed weapon, frag) (and possibly also meltabomb, Inferno pistol, cloak)
2 squads of SoB (VSS, Evisc, 2x melta)
2 Exorcists (Smoke, EA)

With all the uppgrades that comes out to almost 750 pts.

a squad of 5 terminators is 245 (including BC but no extra weapon.) make 1 of those have TH/SS

you'r now down to ~500 pts left. take 2x8 squads of gk's, and fill out with some equipment.

Note: This is the armylist I would suggest with the units you said you wanted to use. It's a solid list IMHO, but certanly not the only one possible.

Cheers
Cyne

#19 ·
Cyne said:
Well... If you want to use exorcists (they are great!) then you will have to use WH as the parent list.
I agree. SoB are very cool, and the DH-SoB (WH) combo is potent. Exorcists are the Best Tank Ever ... and if I didn't like GKs so much, the Exorcist would be enough to make me play WH (pure Sisters only, though; don't think much of the WH fluff).

Cyne said:
You will 'need'
Cannoness (jump pack, blessed weapon, frag) (and possibly also meltabomb, Inferno pistol, cloak)
2 squads of SoB (VSS, Evisc, 2x melta)
2 Exorcists (Smoke, EA)

a squad of 5 terminators is 245 (including BC but no extra weapon.) make 1 of those have TH/SS

you'r now down to ~500 pts left. take 2x8 squads of gk's, and fill out with some equipment.
A pretty excellent army list, I would agree. However, as much as I love GK, I am more than happy to sacrifice a GK unit for a unit of Seraphim. They cost about the same as a unit of GK and they make excellent assault troops. Give them hand flamers and a Vet Sup. with a power weapon and plasma pistol, and they will eliminate anything at all. Anything.

#20 ·
Ok this is what im thinking of buying (Not sure on upgrades etc yet)
1 Cannoness
8 Seraphim (2 with flamers)
10 Grey Knights
5 Grey Knight Terminators
30 Battle Sisters
2 Exorsists [Sp?] (Forgeworld model ones, naturally)
My only problem is lack of tanks etc... this way the exorcists will be picked out and destroyed quicker than usual. My next thing to buy will be an immolator + Dominion Squad (Armed with flamers)... Is thios list any good? and how many points approx does it come to?

#21 ·
Ironically, I had toyed around with an idea similar to this. Basically a Witch Hunter Army, with mostly DH components.
I had,

Palatine

2- 6 man IST squadsw/Rhinos (Technically WH, but I use my DH ones.)
1- 10 PAGK
1- 7 PAGK

1- 10 FAGK

1- Ordo Mallaus Inquisitor with Teleport Homer,

3- Exorcists

#23 ·
R1p70r said:
Do Gk posses decent Anti Tank Capability (E.g an Anti Tank Dreadnought??)
Well, we have it, just not in spades. Dreadnoughts are the best choice -- either TLLC/ML or AC/DCCW builds -- the former having twice the range of the latter, while the latter can be used to support walking troops.

Beefing up anti-armor is a good reason to take allies, like SoB squads with melta guns. Or, as you've done, build a WH army and take DH allies.
R1p70r said:
1 Cannoness
8 Seraphim (2 with flamers)
10 Grey Knights
5 Grey Knight Terminators
30 Battle Sisters
2 Exorsists [Sp?] (Forgeworld model ones, naturally)
My only problem is lack of tanks etc... this way the exorcists will be picked out and destroyed quicker than usual.
You're going to want Rhinos for your Sister squads. That gives you four tanks for your opponent to worry about. Four vehicles at 1500 pts ought to be enough. If s/he targets the exorcists, your melta squads get closer. If s/he targets the rhinos, your exorcists get clear shots.

R1p0r said:
My next thing to buy will be an immolator + Dominion Squad (Armed with flamers)...
Good. Can't have enough purifying flame. Your army will have plenty of faith, so don't forget to use Divine Guidance. Always, virtually any time you have a ripe target. Especially with those Seraphim.
R1p0r said:
Is thios list any good?
Depends how well you play them. ;) I like the mix of units you have.
R1p0r said:
and how many points approx does it come to?
If you also take Rhinos, I'd estimate your proposed army almost dead on 1500 pts, depending on the squad upgrades you choose.

#24 ·
As a sidenote on immolators, I currently use 3 of them with TL-MM, Smoke and Ea (93pts a piece). I then induct 2x6 Troop GK's and 1x6 Fast Attack GK's to ride in them. This is the only transport option avaiable to GK's (except Heavy Support LR/LRC, but they are to expensive for 1500 imho and requires you to take DH as the parent list, since you can't induct HS)

For my list, without any exorsists (only because I want the transport option) Immolators with TL-MM is a moderatly good substitute when it comes to anti tank.

I wouldn't use IST's if I have SoB models... they only cost 1 pt more and have better armour + faith. Only reason for taking IST's would be for a squad or two with plasma rifles, since sisters can't have those IIRC.

And lastly: Never take a palatine. Ever. The cannoness is what, 15pts more? She has better stats and confers twice as much faith. It's a bargain. Bargain I tell you! =)

#25 ·
Cyne said:
As a sidenote on immolators, I currently use 3 of them with TL-MM, Smoke and Ea (93pts a piece). I then induct 2x6 Troop GK's and 1x6 Fast Attack GK's to ride in them. This is the only transport option avaiable to GK's (except Heavy Support LR/LRC, but they are to expensive for 1500 imho and requires you to take DH as the parent list, since you can't induct HS)

For my list, without any exorsists (only because I want the transport option) Immolators with TL-MM is a moderatly good substitute when it comes to anti tank.

I wouldn't use IST's if I have SoB models... they only cost 1 pt more and have better armour + faith. Only reason for taking IST's would be for a squad or two with plasma rifles, since sisters can't have those IIRC.

And lastly: Never take a palatine. Ever. The cannoness is what, 15pts more? She has better stats and confers twice as much faith. It's a bargain. Bargain I tell you! =)
Uh... Grey Knights can't ride around in Immolators, can they?:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.