Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to know, what the rule is about this piece of war gear in combat.

Because first time i played Tau the guy forced it that i would have 2 re-roll all damage when the vehicle was hurt.

I tried to contest it that would only aply to shooting, but in the end we setteled on a die roll.

Is their any official release of the rule on this matter?

Apologise if this topic has already been raised.

·
Stirling
760 Posts
Well, not that it's actually ever come up for me in a battle before but I hadn't realised that it doesnt force a reroll if the shot was a pen. Although that makes perfect sense to me know that you bring it up. If I remember how it's stated in the rulebook correctly it specifically says something ablout allowing you to reroll any 5 for immobilise. A pen wouldnt be a 5.

A further question would be how would they work for piranhas as they are open topped? I always assumed they worked only if a 4 was rolled (4 +1 for open topped) making 5-6 an automatic destroyed. That would make the most sense in my opinion but I guess if you wanted to rules lawyer it you could say you only get to reroll if an actual 5 was rolled.

Yeah, you got cheated. If you ever play a game and someone states his wargear does a specific thing, make him show you the rule. If he cannot then don't allow it. Simply put, any piece of weaponry, wargear or special rules you play in your army that you bring to the table you should have the corresponding rules to back it up.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sorry Haddatt i don't believe i have ever seen the re-roll 5's rule anywhere.
I quote page 30 of the Tau Empire Codex

"...Whenever an Immobilised result is rolled on the Glancing Hit Vehicle Damage Table, the Tau player may force his opponent to re-roll the dice, though the second result stands, even if worse."

Considering with our skimmer rules, our tanks should only ever have to take glancings.

·
Stirling
760 Posts

"...Whenever an Immobilised result is rolled on the Glancing Hit Vehicle Damage Table, the Tau player may force his opponent to re-roll the dice, though the second result stands, even if worse."

Considering with our skimmer rules, our tanks should only ever have to take glancings.
You are right. I didnt have my rulebook on me when I posted originally, I being at work (took me awhile to find my pdf) Have no idea where I saw anything remotely like that. I had not realised it was only against glancing hits but then again, I have never had it come up under penetrating. Thanks for the correction though.

·
Gone
1,286 Posts

YOU GUYS!
It is right there!
The immobilized result for glancing is the only 5 that yields immobilization.
If you roll a glancing immobilized result, it is a 5!
Therefore, you only get to re-roll the 5's!

Sorry, I felt that was kind of obvious, unless Spartan was being sarcastic.
No offense all around.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Especially with things so intricate like the rules of this game, everything should be looked at by both parties, cos I've misinterpreted things quite a few times in the past which can lead to big mistakes. or even just ASSUMING something can get you into trouble.

·
Registered
281 Posts
YOU GUYS!
It is right there!
The immobilized result for glancing is the only 5 that yields immobilization.
If you roll a glancing immobilized result, it is a 5!
Therefore, you only get to re-roll the 5's!

Sorry, I felt that was kind of obvious, unless Spartan was being sarcastic.
No offense all around.
No i wasn't being sarcastic. In haddatts original post he claimed that (no offense here mate, i've seen rules where there aren't any as well), the rules said "re-roll any 5 for immobilise". However this is untrue in the sense of how the rules are worded. I can see where he would have picked up the 're-roll 5's' rule, but the wording is not so specific, it covers all possible ways to get an immobilised result, say from a 4 on a pirhana. So using Haddatt's wording the pirhana would not benefit from a decoy launcher, as it cannot suffer an immobilised result from a 5 on a glancing hit.

Considering most Tau players manage to keep their vehicles on the move, Glancing hits are all we will ever take. (unless AP1 overrides that, which one comes first?)

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
Just to add that what LBM has said about SMF vs AP1 is in the Rulebook FAQ, in case some folks aren't sure where to find it.

E.

·
Stirling
760 Posts
No i wasn't being sarcastic. In haddatts original post he claimed that (no offense here mate, i've seen rules where there aren't any as well), the rules said "re-roll any 5 for immobilise". However this is untrue in the sense of how the rules are worded. I can see where he would have picked up the 're-roll 5's' rule, but the wording is not so specific, it covers all possible ways to get an immobilised result, say from a 4 on a pirhana. So using Haddatt's wording the pirhana would not benefit from a decoy launcher, as it cannot suffer an immobilised result from a 5 on a glancing hit.
Yeah, no idea where I thought I saw that roll of 5 thing and being at work with out the codex at the time I posted, I wasn't able to verify it. I was not aware however that decoy launchers had no effect on penetrating immobilised hits. Like I said though, it had never came up because how often do we actually don't keep our skimmers on the move

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.