Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering, If i take a dedicated transport for a unit of sternguard veterans can the veterans start in reserves while the transport starts on the table?
I know i can put a unit of scouts in the veterans dedicated transport, however I don't think it makes sense to do this as my veterans then wouldnt benefit form the transport plus the scouts wouldnt get to make their scout move.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I was just wondering, If i take a dedicated transport for a unit of sternguard veterans can the veterans start in reserves while the transport starts on the table?
I know i can put a unit of scouts in the veterans dedicated transport, however I don't think it makes sense to do this as my veterans then wouldnt benefit form the transport plus the scouts wouldnt get to make their scout move.
I don't really get what your trying to say in the first paragraph but i think what your trying to say is that a sternguard squad can be separated from their transport from turn one and then later can go back in their transport? ( just thinking about this one).

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
A dedicated transport and its unit can always be deployed separately, yes. However, when actually deploying the transport you can never put another unit other than the one it was bought for as an upgrade into it. So you could not place your Scouts into the dedicated transport when you are deploying it. They can however be placed in it after that, ie they can move to within the prescribed distance and then embark in your turn. They just can't start the game embarked in it.

P.92 BRB tells us that a dedicated transport and its unit are always treated as separate units for all game purposes. So deploying dedicated transport and its unit separately on the table is no problem.

E.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Beaten to the punch by eiglepulper while digging up teh references.
Though I will add that a unit with the Scouts rule can embark (space allowing, of course) during their free move, as p76 states that "This is done exactly as in their movement phase, except... must remain more than 12" away from any enemy."

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
It's not often I manage to beat someone to the punch!
What you said there is true, but it kind of equates to them moving to the vehicle in order to embark, only it's done pre-Movement Phase. They still could not start embarked on it and allow it to get a scout move.

E.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beaten to the punch by eiglepulper while digging up teh references.
Though I will add that a unit with the Scouts rule can embark (space allowing, of course) during their free move, as p76 states that "This is done exactly as in their movement phase, except... must remain more than 12" away from any enemy."
Yes although the scouts move is treated like a normal move on p96 under dedicated transports it says although a unit which takes a dedicated transport does not have to be embarked upon it, the dedicated transport can only carry other friendly units AFTER the game begins, so all scout moves are carried out BEFORE the game begins,

Plus my main question was if my sternguard take a razorback, I dont have to start the game with the sternguard embarked but can the razorback be deployed on the table while the sternguard are held in reserves?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Hmm, conceded.
I'd been going on the premise that 'beginning of the game' was undefined in the book, yet re-reading for this shows me that the scenarios in the book all explicitly include 'Start the Game' after infiltrators and scouts do their thing. Would still like such a definition, if only to catch any scenarios which fail to include that statement.

The general answer to your specific question is the first sentence of the second paragraph of eiglepulper's first response.
Specifically: Razorback on table and Sternguard in reserve is fine, as long as nothing is preventing the Sternguard from being deployed at this point (such as restrictions in the Dawn of War scenario).

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for answering that.
And I agree there should be a more specific definition of when the game starts because I played one game against a space marine player
where i had first turn and he had scout in a drop pod list, he made his scout move and then argued that he could then use his drop pod assault and try to land 3 drop pods on the board.

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
Well, he could do his Scout Move but since Scouts cannot use a Drop Pod as a dedicated transport they could not deploy in them since they had obviously been purchased for other Troops choices. So no Drop Pod arrival in his Scout Movement.

He would have had to wait till you had had your first turn before he could bring on his Drop Pod assault.

E.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh no the scouts werent in a drop pod, there was a terminator squad, a dreadnought and a tactical squad, he was basically using his scouts to try a cheat his way into seizing the inititive

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.