Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you withhold your deepstrike until rnd 5 when it must come down? Or do the models in reserve(that are deep striking) need to be rolled for every turn after the first and come down when rolled?

Thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
Can you withhold your deepstrike until rnd 5 when it must come down? Or do the models in reserve(that are deep striking) need to be rolled for every turn after the first and come down when rolled?

Thanks
Deep Strike is an additional rule that is on top off the "Reserves" rule. The reserves rule specifically states (there is a "Note:..." right after the rule is listed) that you cannot delay deep strike for even a single turn. You start rolling turn 2 and you don't stop until all your reserves are rolled or the game is over.

·
426 Posts
What if you have a Raider with Screaming Jets, but also a WWP in your army? Can the Raider choose to drop through the sky via normal Deep Strike rules OR to come through the portal depending on the situation?

·
Registered
341 Posts
What if you have a Raider with Screaming Jets, but also a WWP in your army? Can the Raider choose to drop through the sky via normal Deep Strike rules OR to come through the portal depending on the situation?
It may be a note you write at the beginning of the game, when you figure out who you are playing against. I view it as so long as you don't change what each model has you should be good to go. Just be able to prove it on paper.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't have my codex on hand but....

I seem to recall that the WWP requires that you declare that something is being held in reserve to be used with the WWP at the start of the game. This is to prevent someone whose WWPs are all destroyed from just entering from the edge (or entering from the edge if the WWP location is too dangerous). With Deep Strike there is no such requirement except that once you hold it in reserve you can only bring it in via available methods (ie, if the mission doesn't allow for normal reserves you can only deep strike it).

·
Archite of Caerbannog
1,582 Posts
My answer to that is no. You either declare him in "reserve" or in the "web way portal". I recently played with both and declared a raider to be in reserve only (no portal usage) so he can deepstrike. You can always put the raider in the portal during the setup phase but once you declare if it is "in" or "out" then thats it, its one or the other.

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
My answer to that is no. You either declare him in "reserve" or in the "web way portal". I recently played with both and declared a raider to be in reserve only (no portal usage) so he can deepstrike. You can always put the raider in the portal during the setup phase but once you declare if it is "in" or "out" then thats it, its one or the other.
Hi mate.
I was under the impression that once the portal was chosen as part of your army roster then it is the sole method of bringing reserves into play as witnessed by the portal rule –“If you have a webway portal in your army, you may keep units in reserve……………… If you do this then the troops may only enter through the webway……………” (Troops being the equivalent of units.)

So I have never combined deep striking with a portal because I thought it’s a big no no.

Is it legal to “play with both” in the same game?
Or is it just me reading too hard again into the rules?

Cheers.

·
Archite of Caerbannog
1,582 Posts
Hi mate.
I was under the impression that once the portal was chosen as part of your army roster then it is the sole method of bringing reserves into play as witnessed by the portal rule –“If you have a webway portal in your army, you may keep units in reserve……………… If you do this then the troops may only enter through the webway……………” (Troops being the equivalent of units.)

So I have never combined deep striking with a portal because I thought it’s a big no no.

Is it legal to “play with both” in the same game?
Or is it just me reading too hard again into the rules?

Cheers.
Lately, I have no clue.

Without any clear advantage to me about running both I would think that since I just spent 115 points to do both is more than a balance to me. If its cheating in some indirect way I can't figure then I guess I am a cheater.

Without knowing the answer to this question, if I use Kroot allies in my Dark Eldar wwp Army and its "omega" level in which involves escalation, do my Kroot start in reserve or do I get to put them into the portal? I would love to put them in the portal but I have not been playing that way.

My deep gut feeling - I do get to declare who is in the warp portal and who is in reserve. Its done this way in my store and everyone I play is fine with it so I ain't "stirring the pot" on this one. RAW wise you might be right though - good point.

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
Lately, I have no clue.

Without any clear advantage to me about running both I would think that since I just spent 115 points to do both is more than a balance to me. If its cheating in some indirect way I can't figure then I guess I am a cheater.

Without knowing the answer to this question, if I use Kroot allies in my Dark Eldar wwp Army and its "omega" level in which involves escalation, do my Kroot start in reserve or do I get to put them into the portal? I would love to put them in the portal but I have not been playing that way.

My deep gut feeling - I do get to declare who is in the warp portal and who is in reserve. Its done this way in my store and everyone I play is fine with it so I ain't "stirring the pot" on this one. RAW wise you might be right though - good point.

Hi again,
I am not saying that anyone is cheating here, its just that I have restricted myself from using both deep strike and the portal when using reserves based on the those crazy portal rules.

But perhaps the portal rules of “only entering through the web way” is just for table edge reserves and since you have paid the price in points for deep striking I certainly wouldn’t pick up this narrow banded rules anomaly inside a game! Its only here on the net where we examine things in a cold hard light that microscopic details get analyzed like this.

Something else for the new Codex dare I say?

But if the omega level escalation game just uses “normal reserves rules” of starting from a table edge for everything bar basic troops and the portal counters this by saying no, you have to use this, I can really see the confusion as both are conflicting but with the Kroot I would play it as you always have done due to the fact that the portal is part of the DE Codex and is only meant for things in the DE Codex and not anything that is outside of it.

That is one army list should not interact with another in regards to wargear and their attendant rules.

Thanks, this is a new point I have never seen before!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yeah I'd have to say this is one of those 'under the microscope' situations Wicky :D

Agreed though, that you wouldn't be pouncing on someone for Deep Striking Raiders and Portal-delivering the rest of his gear. Portals are paid for and don't limit other mission deployment rules. The Portal entry is merely stating (as nearly everyone has pointed out already :p) you may choose what to do, seeing as you have paid the points, yet risk the Portal transporters being unable to arrive at all. No problem at all with walking some Reserves on, Portal some reserves on, and Deep Striking the rest (but as Toloran said, this all needs to be declared before you start each game):)

Wicky said:
with the Kroot I would play it as you always have done due to the fact that the portal is part of the DE Codex and is only meant for things in the DE Codex and not anything that is outside of it.
Most definately :) :drinking:

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
Yeah I'd have to say this is one of those 'under the microscope' situations Wicky :D

Agreed though, that you wouldn't be pouncing on someone for Deep Striking Raiders and Portal-delivering the rest of his gear. Portals are paid for and don't limit other mission deployment rules. The Portal entry is merely stating (as nearly everyone has pointed out already :p) you may choose what to do, seeing as you have paid the points, yet risk the Portal transporters being unable to arrive at all. No problem at all with walking some Reserves on, Portal some reserves on, and Deep Striking the rest (but as Toloran said, this all needs to be declared before you start each game):)

Most definately :) :drinking:
Hi,
Points to consider here are –
1. The portal does indeed override Mission Special rules in regards to how reserves are handled.
2. The portal rules do actually say that if you have one in your army then you may “only” use it to enter the table from (I suppose that if you want to Deepstrike then don’t buy a portal in the first place.)
3. You cannot “walk” or enter from the table edge if you have a portal in your army (see the last 2 sentences in the rules for the portal on page 15 DE Codex.
4. Sure pay the points for other methods of bringing on reserves but when you include a portal in your army you can’t use them as the portals rules are a limiter on where things can now legally enter the game from as Reserves.
5. The method of bringing on Reserves should never have to be declared if your opponent knows that you have a portal equipped army as it becomes the sole method of doing so.

Now all this is strict RAW by the Codex but as I have said earlier I wouldn’t pick up on it in a game as to me it seems a little restrictive and I gather that not many have read that deeply into what the portal rules say about being a limiter.

Sorry if all this sounds harsh but if your opponent ever challenges you on this exact issue it pays to be prepared with a knowledgeable answer.
Cheers.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hey Chief!

I don't want to be too blunt, although I should admit I'm a little confused by your post Wicky :p

Points to consider here are –
1. The portal does indeed override Mission Special rules in regards to how reserves are handled.
Fair call, very very true. But only when using the portal ovbiously, because... well, it has it's own rules! :rofl

2. The portal rules do actually say that if you have one in your army then you may “only” use it to enter the table from (I suppose that if you want to Deepstrike then don’t buy a portal in the first place.)
The only 'only' to be found in the entire passage is when saying that, even if there are no reserves rule for the mission, you can hold reserves for the portal -> under these circumstances, they must use that portal (not only because they were chosen for the portal but also because there is no table edge reserves for the mission anyways).

The way I read if Chief is with the all-important 'may'. You may choose to upgrade Splinter Rifles to Darklances the same as you may choose units to arrive via portal instead of the table edge. The wording seems very neutral, and in no way do I see it suggesting the army forced to entirely portal itself and ignore the table edge business (which may get difficult with a single portal and many units:p)

3. You cannot “walk” or enter from the table edge if you have a portal in your army (see the last 2 sentences in the rules for the portal on page 15 DE Codex.
Going from the above reply, I feel you can :) Those last two sentances are referring to the fact you have chosen, before the game started, to portal them (even if the mission doesn't allow Reserves). You can't go back on that decision and decide later on to arrive from the board edge.

4. Sure pay the points for other methods of bringing on reserves but when you include a portal in your army you can’t use them as the portals rules are a limiter on where things can now legally enter the game from as Reserves.
We'd have to agree to disagree. No problems :)

5. The method of bringing on Reserves should never have to be declared if your opponent knows that you have a portal equipped army as it becomes the sole method of doing so.
Again I'd have to agree to disagree :) Reserves is not a one-way street, merely a method of saying "They ain't here yet"- once they are available, how you go about their arrival is your choice be it Deep Strike or whatever rules they may have, the universal rule being the table edge. Again I don't feel portal is your only Reserves deployment option, this is where we differ :p :drinking: It does get quite iffy when talking about the table edge (I'd always prefer to use the portal instead of the board edge but the option should be yours before the game starts).

I'm the type to fill in the opponent anyways, HQ Raiders, what is what, portals etc. Maybe I'm not sneaky enough? :p

Anyways, right or wrong or upside down, it's always fun to reply to you Wiki, you really get the soul searching in our quest to find the answer :D

Cheers

~ jonesie

Edit+ gah, long story short, I don't think the portal overrides the norm, just adds to it ;) why didn't I just say that earlier???? *kicks self in face*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts