Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I understood the deep strike rules of an infantry platoon

I figured from the codex that when you deployed a platoon you had to deploy the ENTIRE platoon (including officer squad) at the same time. So I figured that if you just wanted to Deep strike the officer squad you must also deep strike the other 2+ Infantry squads (but not all as one unit)

Do I understand this corectly or am i wrong?

PG 44 of the codex is where i am getting all this info

·
Registered
226 Posts
That's the way I understand it. You should only have to make one reserve roll for all the squads in each platoon and they will all deep strike at the same time. Any other takes on this?

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
In the IG FAQ, it states that if you buy Light Infantry for only certain squads in a platoon, and not all of them, then the different parts deploy separately.
http://us.games-workshop.com/errata/assets/imperial_guard_faq_v4-0.pdf

I'm not 100% sure on this, but presumably, since this doctrine allows you to Infiltrate some squads and deploy the others normally, then with Drop Troops you should be able to pick and choose which platoon units you wish to Deep Strike.
All of the units from that platoon that are Deep Striking share the same Reserves roll though.

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
yea, light infantry on only part of an infantry platoon deploys them separately and it's the same for drop troops, they way i think it goes you can hold certain infantry squads in reserve for deepstrike since it counts for guard infantry units and each infantry squad counts as one of those units and not the entire platoon so for example, you could deploy your command squad during the deployment phase and hold all the infantry squads to that platoon in reserve. that's how i understand their logic to it at least.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Meh i dunno people the command platoon blurb is kinda specific, "A command platoon counts as a single unit for army selection,deployment,and reserves roll ". That seems pretty cut and dry. Same thing for the Troop squad blurb.

And aint (as someone pointed out) the Faq rather old?, and out of date compared to current codex ?

Wish it was so, but i cant see how

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
well thus enters the dilemma that might need some sort of faq/ruling on how they resolve the matter of infantry/support squads and their parent command squads and if they should count as one infantry guard unit (though you would pay the cost of each squad gettting the upgrade) but whether it'd be an all or nothing deal with each platoon, for things like light infantry or drop troops, where it'd either be you can pick and choose what squads in the platoon get it or if it'd be all or nothing for that platoon (which in my opinion would make so much more sense, though i guess it could be explanationable in certain situatiions, but luckily shit shouldnt deal in being situational but rather a one-all that covers anything that could happen).

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
clearly from the codex, the platoon counts as a single entity for being in reserve or not. i.e. you have the whole platoon on the field or the whole platoon in reserve

If the platoon is in reserve you roll a single dice for them.

The method of deploying the platoon - if some squads have a special rule that allows them to deoploy differently from others then they can do so (I sont believe that was the original intent, but it is certainly RAW) eg some squads may deep strike, some come on onyour table edge but the platoon all enters play on the same turn

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Seems fair

I thought I would chip in and say that while I think this is an ugly area for the rules at the moment I do think that C has set out a great way to actually play. Hopefully this doesn't come up too often though eh?

I like to play all of my platoons as single units. I think that fits the mechanics of the Imperial Guard most effectively.

·
709 Posts
The way I always played and understood, to reiterate what was said above, you can deep strike parts of your platoon, or the whole platoon, but either way it's still one reserve roll.

For example:
Platoon A has 1 command squad deep striking, 2 line squads deep strking, 1 line squad deploying normally.

One reserve roll is made for platoon A.

Platoon A and B have two suicide command squads deep strking, Platoon B also has a line squad DSing.

Two reserve rolls made. One for A, and one for both squads in B.

I actually think the rules for drop troops are pretty good as is. You don't want to break up platoons into individual units because deployment would be unbalanced. It also streamlines things a little.

·
2,399 Posts
The way I always played and understood, to reiterate what was said above, you can deep strike parts of your platoon, or the whole platoon, but either way it's still one reserve roll.

For example:
Platoon A has 1 command squad deep striking, 2 line squads deep strking, 1 line squad deploying normally.

One reserve roll is made for platoon A.

Platoon A and B have two suicide command squads deep strking, Platoon B also has a line squad DSing.

Two reserve rolls made. One for A, and one for both squads in B.

I actually think the rules for drop troops are pretty good as is. You don't want to break up platoons into individual units because deployment would be unbalanced. It also streamlines things a little.
I thought i'd take a moment to agree and endorse.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay so that makes sense thanks for your help everyone

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.