Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I had a couple of questions about warp spiders for all you players who use them regularly.

1) Is it worth it to deep-strike them? If you did deep-strike them, and you were going to use them to get rear armor shots on a tank (lets say a predator equivalent), about how far away from the tank would you place your first guy?

2) Do you usually try to use them as anti-tank or anti-troop?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
187 Posts
generally i used to deep strike them a lot to take out heavy weapons teams in the back of armies , but lately i just deploy them. they can move 12', then run up to 6', then teleport up to another 12' u can get them where u want them fast.

as for tanks i find they arent as good as people say, sure rear armour ull need 4's and its a lot of shots that will hit but they have ap- which means -1 result and if u glance -2... (no boom)

**Edit**
mind you weapon destroyed and cant move or shoot are still good results :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
In my experience I find that I generally prefer to use them as Anti-Infantry but if needs must they can be useful for Anti-tank as well. It depends on the situation. I've managed to take out a Hammerhead with them before. Sheer number of shots is a useful factor. Regardless of what youre shooting (so long as you can hurt it in the first place), there's bound to be some shots that can cause the wound. Even things like Terminators can suffer wounds like that. Not many admittedly but in a pich they can come through. The combination of their rules is what makes them stand out. You can deep Strike, lay of a few shots and if lucky with the Assault jump run off and hide someplace nice.
----------
as for tanks i find they arent as good as people say, sure rear armour ull need 4's and its a lot of shots that will hit but they have ap- which means -1 result and if u glance -2... (no boom)
It is true that there's no instant boom if you get glancing, but if enough hits damage the thing you can still wreck it. Then if viable be a total jerk and hide behind the wreckage.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have been using the spider a little bit more recently in a 'fun' list variant. I like them. Can cause some good damage from massed shooting and then run away. Then they create a problem for your opponent, they can whip around (very quickly) and be a general thorn.

Use them well and you reap the dividends.

·
It came from the warp...
458 Posts
I use 2 squads of five with dual spinner exarchs in my 1850 competitive list. They can keep up with my six tanks if deployed regularly, or deepstrike and hit the rear armor of a tank. They exceed at acting as a distracting potential threat, and are almost guaranteed to force several wounds/damage results against most targets. Just don't expect them to wipe a squad off the table, unless you're fielding a full squad of ten with dual spinner exarch, and if you field a squad that large, you're not going to be able to hide them very well, along with the fact that you probably could have gotten a Wave Serpent and most of an aspect squad for the points you just spent on that spider squad.

If you're using a squad of more than 5 or 6, don't deepstrike them, as you've spent too many points on them for that to possibly just dissapear without it doing anything.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just a quick question, can you teleport out from inside a serpent? and If so, could you teleport back in?

ZhuPei

·
404: Title not found
2,845 Posts
I wouldn't say it was worth it to deepstrike them, if you go too close to your enemy you risk being charged (death to Warp Spiders unless you have Withdraw) and you risk being shot to pieces anyway even if you're out of charge range. Leave them with the rest of your army, they can move up to 24" a turn (with lucky rolls, although it would require sacrificing one so maybe 23" is better) so can outpace or at least keep pace with the rest of your army, depending on whether it's footslogging or mech.

@ZhuPei: No, I don't believe you can teleport out of Wave Serpents although I'm not 100% on that. Having said that, I suppose it doesn't say anywhere to my knowledge that you can't so... In any case, you certainly can't teleport back in.

~ DiW

·
Registered
502 Posts
Teleport in as in Deep Strike or the assault jump? Either way I'm prettty sure neither is doable since normally units can only get out of a vehichle in the movement phase. Deep Striking onto a vehicle means impassible terrain and MISHAP! whereas I'm sure you wouldn't be allowed to use the Assault jump to fly into the transport.

·
Registered
187 Posts
..i dont know...is there anything saying that you cant do an assault teleport out of a transport? i dont see why u couldnt

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback guys, seems like I should probably just run them with the rest of my army. I'm probably using a squad of 8 in an 1000 point battle today, so I'll let you guys know how that goes.

·
2,845 Posts
..i dont know...is there anything saying that you cant do an assault teleport out of a transport? i dont see why u couldnt
Not specifically, no, but look on page 67 where it tells you the rules of disembarking. You always disembark in the Movement phase, not the Assault phase. If someone tried to do it with me I wouldn't let them and I wouldn't try to do it myself.

Of course there's really no need to put Warp Spiders in a Wave Serpent anyway.

~ DiW

·
Registered
502 Posts
Was it 4th edition that didn't let you put Jump Infantry in a Transport or am I just imaging things? I tried to look it up in the rule book for 5th and couldn't find it.

·
2,845 Posts
Was it 4th edition that didn't let you put Jump Infantry in a Transport or am I just imaging things? I tried to look it up in the rule book for 5th and couldn't find it.
I think it was only Space Marine Rhinos that couldn't transport Assault Marines, if not then yes it was just 4th Edition.

~ DiW

·
1,273 Posts
in theory you can take jump inf in transports (not in those dedicated transports that can be used only for the unit it was bought for) but why in the name of god you would take spiders in a serpent when they can keep up and there are a lot of units that need transportation and are in need.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Maybe, the primary units are dead and you want some protection for your spiders...

·
Registered
187 Posts
or maybe u want them to move 24 or 36 inches instead of a slight chance of 30 with another chance of casualties

but still super dumb to throw them inside a transport

·
1,273 Posts
uh...damn..../me blushes

it seems we learn a new thing every day

·
Registered
340 Posts
An earlier posted reply poses a question from me.

Deep striking units cannot assault, that much I know. But can Warp Spiders still use their warp generators to move in the assault phase straight after deep striking?

I am thinking specifically of deep strike, shoot, jump back out of harms way.

Thanks

:soldier:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.