Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Defeating Orks

1K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Pandora 
#1 ·
hello,
i'm just getting my eldar army up and running after lots of help from discussion boards here and i kinda directed my efforts towards defeating space marines coz thats what my friend has.

Now he's getting Orks! pretending i have every single thing you can get in an eldar army, does anyone have some good tactics for taking out an ork army with a warboss and tankbusta's and stuff? :ph34r:

#2 ·
Well, Orks survive by outnumbering you. That's not something they're going to have a problem with against Eldar. My advice? Pack Rangers with Sniper Rifles to take out the Warboss (don't want to invest too much into it) and pack TONS of template weapons. As many as possible. Brightlances and starcannons are a waste unless he has mega-armor, and even then, there aren't enough heavily armored Ork things to justify using expensive pinpoint weapons. Everything you have that has a template should be used, as it will wipe out large masses of greenskins in a hurry. Guardians aren't that great here, as they only get one round of fire off before the Orks close the distance, and melee against Orks is not fun when you're Eldar.

#3 ·
I would get a few squads of rangers (maybe 2 squads of 4) then concentrate on template and multi-shot weapons. Get a few squads of Dark Reapers, even though their Reaper Launchers aren't blast they are Hvy 2, give the Exarch the Missile Launcher (Rocket Launcher if you're superstitious) and arm it with plasma grenades. If you want to you could use a Prism Cannon, a Distortion Cannon (D-Cannon) or a Shadow Weaver. Have a squad of Storm Guardians with flamers and a squad of Swooping Hawks, their grenades and the Exarch's Hawks Talon along with Sustained Assault will see off your enemy.

#4 ·
Well I am going to assume that you didnt go super cheesy with your space marine hunting army. If you had you probably wouldnt need to change anything as a cheesed out Eldar army can own anyone.

A couple of things you might like. Pinning is good as Orcs if memory serves me right were a HtoH horde army with rather low leadership. this means rangers and plasma missiles.

another thing you might want to consider is that a wrathlord or an avatar is able to tie up a whole unit of orcs all by its wee little self for an entire game. If they cant get into HtoH because they are busy trying to bruise your wraithlord/avatar they pretty much wasted those points.

Scatter lasers arent too bad against horde armies if you mass them correctly. squads of three vypers each with scatter lasers only costs 165pts. they may not completely anihilate a squad in one turn but itll sure make them think twice before attacking.

#7 ·
WRAITHLORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
they cant hurt em at all in hand to hand (with the exception of powerfists) shoot em up on the way in then smash em in hand to hand

vuaa ha ha ha ha

with the avatar at toughness 6 he can still be hurt he'll take alot and kill alot but verse orcs in hand to hand he'll get mobbed. 2 or 3 Wraithlords to back each other up and walk through his mobbs and your other guys to stand back and shoot and hold objectives.

Orcs are easy

Though make sure you swap your army round though, you dont want your oponent to think you got the wraithlords on the payroll for every game hell prepare for em

#9 ·
Just take alot of gaurdian squads, all those darn shriken catapults really make for a bad day if your an Ork.
Stay away from an assaulty force...most any unit you can take isn't as good as just a standard 30 boy mob of Ork basic troops. The Orks main strengths are numbers and close combat. So just shoot the heck out of the advancing green tide of Orks before they can swamp you.
Aspect warriors are just to expensive, so avoid em unless you use dire avengers or swooping hawks...better to take a wraithlord...which by the way is the hardest thing for an Ork army to take on.
Any template weapons are also a good choice.

Good Luck.

WAAAGH! Da Orks

#12 ·
OK for switching from Marines to Orcs -

Firstly there have been various speculation about black rangers???? You dont say it but I assume you are using Ulthwe?

Anyway:

Equipment:
1. Heavy weapons, - against marines you have probably taken heavy weapons to take out low numbers of well armoured troops (perhaps the odd star cannon)
against Orkz you need to shirft this, the pulse lasser is not a bad idea but scatter lasers and perhaps even better the Shuriken cannon, also reaper launchers
D cannon are still good because you cant beat a good ordinance template against mob armies

Organisation:
2. style of army, orkz still represent the same unmanageable close combat threat against eldar as marines unless you can whittle down their numbers, I would suggest that unless you have an out and out beil tann aspect warrior assult army (ie banshees and scorps in abundance) you focus on 2 things, shooting to take out the numbers and then some sort of counter assult component. I would therefore suggest that you do not take storm gaurdians but hordes of defenders with heavy weapons platforms and warlocks with conceal, just in case he flukes the odd hit, supported by Scorpions (not banshees - you dont need the power weapon or the mask against orkz).

3. other bits: Snipers are usefull even if they dont pin cos of the range and the hit/wound rules of sniper rifles. Vypers make good mounts for those aforementioned heavy weapons. personaly I dont like avatars or wraithlords, but that is a personnal choice. I would stay away from a prism cannon cos they dont hit often enough and adding a farseer to hang around and cast guide only means you have spent an aweful lot on one template, D cannon are better

#13 ·
Wraithlords work damn well against Orks since they lack Sniper Rifles. They don't have any decent way to take them out via shooting so that leaves CC. The only way to hurt the WL in CC with a Powerclaw. Now all you have to do is arm the Wraithlord with 2 Flamers. Hit a squad with 2 Flamers then go into CC. If you do it right the Flamers will do enough casualties so the Wraithlord can kill the Nob before he gets to use the Powerclaw.

#15 ·
I agree with Cheredanine you basically need weapons that have multiple shots. Just keep as far back as possible and fire, then when he gets closer use the guardians catapults. But always make sure you have something to counter assault with, Scorpions are the best here. I would also say a storm squad with a flamer or two in the front line may come in handy.

Other than that I think it's all been said.

#16 ·
Wow..The Wraithlord idea, yeah. No, it won't work. I've played against both races, and I beat them consiestantly. Try Warwalkers, 3 of em, all with 2 Scatter Lasers. At 80 points each, they're death incarnate to Orksies. Large Guardian squads will cut them down as well, and a Warlock with Destructer can be a turning point in the battle as he toasts half an Ork Mob.

#18 ·
Precisly. Not only that, but thhy have Choppa's, which bring down your save, and a Powerclaw in each Mob... Besides, why tie up your big nasty against Boyz?

#19 ·
I play orks, so I know what works against me(I also play eldar)

use Vipers with scaterlazers, holofeild, spirit stones, 105 points(i think)
always move at least 12 in(only galnsing hits)

most shooty armys have a hard time destroying them, and most ork AT is cc(and it even harder killing them in cc) ive played against(over many battles) about 15, Ive killed about 3, mabe less.

panda, you shudda know this.

#20 ·
w00t!

Yeah, beating Orks, try Warwalkers with Scatter Lasers, Vypers with the same, and large Guardian Squads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.