Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem like a stupid question, but do Deff Rollas get d6 str 10 attacks against vehicles when they ram? I know that it's not technically a tank shock, but it seems logical to me.

It's probably no, but I just wanted to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah, the Adepticon FAQ also says that the Trukk with a Reinforced Ram cannot ram anything, just Tank Shock infantry. It just seems darn silly to say that a Deff Rolla cannot be used against other vehicles. The Codex even references Orks using the Deff Rolla to steamroll "enemy infantry and light vehicles."

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
This is a point of contention right now, and there really isn't a definite answer.

A ram is indeed a type of tank shock, but the description of deffrollas isn't really clear if they mean normal tank shocks or everything that counts as a tank shock.

Personally, I say no, for several reasons. It doesn't make logical sense, fluff-wise (a spiky steam roller crushing a Land Raider or Imperial Titan flat?). It doesn't make sense point-wise, as 20 points isn't nearly enough that it should cost if it can crush vehicles, 50 would be more accurate. Finally, as others have mentioned, most large tournaments have given this a 'no'.

Sadly, Games Workshop hasn't updated the FAQ on this particular subject, so for now, I'd just come to a group consensus. However, if you're looking for something that definitely says that deffrollas can't work on vehicles, I'm afraid you aren't going to find it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
In the core rule book under the ramming section (page 69) it defines ramming as a special kind of tank shock. Here is exactly what it says:

"Ramming is a special type of tank shock move and is executed the same way, except that the tank must always move at the highest speed it is capable of."

Ork Codex says:

"A Deff Rolla is a great spiked roller that brings the colossal weight of the Battlewagon to bear on ANYTHING in its way......ANY tank shock made by a battlewagon with a Deff Rolla causes D6 Str 10 hits in addition to the usual effects."

To me this is not that unclear. They would not put ANY Tank Shock in the rules if they were limiting the kinds of tank shock available to it. And because Ramming is defined as a form of tank shock....I cannot even see why there is a debate.

As for the above I do not think that rolling over a Land Raider is what is really being described....but a high speed Steam Roller with big spikes coming full boar into a tank could hurt it in my opinion. The points costs are debatable, I mean a Land Raider has several Las Cannons on it that can easily stop a Battlewagon so there is not any real reason a Batllewagon should ever get that close in the first place.

Just my feelings on this. I am always open to hear why I am wrong. But I think I am not.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That's exactly how I read it too! Some people refer to adepticon tourny rules, but others say those are biased. I can't find anyone to argue against your post. A few Ork tourny players I know mention that reading the rules that way makes the battlewagon the most dangerous unit in the game. And will simply destroy Land Raiders. I still read it exactlly as you posted, and will argue that side until GW says otherwise.

True anytime a Deffrolla comes in contact with a vehicle it will likely destroy it with D6 S10 but you could still roll two 1's, and most tanks would just drive away. It's part of the orkish mentality for crying outloud! And any Marine based army should know that side and rear armour of a Battlewagon isn't unstoppable.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
That's exactly how I read it too! Some people refer to adepticon tourny rules, but others say those are biased. I can't find anyone to argue against your post. A few Ork tourny players I know mention that reading the rules that way makes the battlewagon the most dangerous unit in the game. And will simply destroy Land Raiders. I still read it exactlly as you posted, and will argue that side until GW says otherwise.

True anytime a Deffrolla comes in contact with a vehicle it will likely destroy it with D6 S10 but you could still roll two 1's, and most tanks would just drive away. It's part of the orkish mentality for crying outloud! And any Marine based army should know that side and rear armour of a Battlewagon isn't unstoppable.
And on that note, this is exactly why I've learned to appreciate that the Deff Rolla does not work against vehicles. The Battle Wagon is a large enough target as is, but you can still overwhelm an opponent with enough threats that it may be ignored long enough to do it's job. If it could steam-roll over over other vehicles, it will have just become the largest target in my army list.. and would never survive past turn two.

But still, I am in favor of using the Deff Rolla as part of a ramming attempt.. a logical interpretation of the rules would support this claim. But in the interest of fairness -- as a logical interpretation of the rules would also refute the claim -- I accept that it does not. For purposes of maintaining fun, friendly, and competitive games, I generally accept the "if you're not definitely right, it doesn't work" approach, and in this case.. you're not definitely right. The only aggravating thing is the lack of an FAQ to put an end to the debate.. I can almost say for certain that GW would say "NO", as this is how tournaments handle the problem.. I can't imagine it'd be too difficult to add a brief paragraph to the Ork FAQ (besides, it's not like Orks set the precedence for any other rules, so nothing to worry about there).

Also, bare in mind that a Battle Wagon CAN still ram vehicles, just without the benefits of the Deff Rolla. She'll be inflicting a Str 5 + ( 0 to 4 ) hit (for a total of Str 5 to Str 9, depending upon speed). This is fantastic against Rhinos and Chimeras, or other light transports, as anything AV 10, 11, or 12 will not be able to damage your front armour, even if rammed at maximum speed. You're unlikely to actually pop a transport in this manner, but any time you can pop a transport during your movement phase is a very big deal! Particularly if you popped the transport with an open topped behemoth waiting to unload twenty angry Boyz!

As a mild tangent, on one such occasion I managed to penetrate and 'explode' my opponent's rhino, and immediately tank shocked the unit contained within. After my Battle Wagon stopped moving, I was less than 1" away from hitting another Rhino XO Much fun!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts