Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It says in the codex that the minimum range for a defiler indirect shot is 36"... that seems a little prohibitive for the point cost. It's nearly 20% of the base cost for the ability to shoot one guess range blast IF you get first turn, and assuming you set your defiler as far away from the target as possible. After that, pretty much anything worth shooting will be inside your 3' minimum range. As heavy support deploy first, this is difficult. Is there any use for the indirect other than blasting things that aren't moving toward you, or am I just missing something? Thanks.

·
Son of LO
3,475 Posts
so? The basilisk has the same limitations but its still the most popular Imperial Guard tank.
Some boards are big enough that if you deploy at the end you're still in range.
Can't you shoot indirect fire normally if you move into line of sight? like no minimum range or massive scatter. Still don't have a rulebook here. It also makes your defiler practically immortal. Besides it doesn't live longer then 1st turn anyway with such small armour.

·
389 Posts
GeekSlayer said:
After that, pretty much anything worth shooting will be inside your 3' minimum range. As heavy support deploy first, this is difficult. Is there any use for the indirect other than blasting things that aren't moving toward you, or am I just missing something? Thanks.
I have never encountered this problem. I place my defiler as far away as I can, and behind the biggest piece of cover I can find. Then I place a suictably dangrous unit in front of it... a dreadnougth, a cc squad, my chaos lord or similar. That is usually enough to keep most people at a healthy distance. In my experience the biggest contribution my defiler makes is being a huge priority target for my opponent. Do not underestimate the value of having your oppenent rush towards one of your models in a predictable fashion. It sets them up for the countercharge that chaos probably does better than any other army.

It sounds to me like you are playing on small tables. Unless I play some really fast army the enemy will practically never be able to get very many, let alone all, of his units within 30" of my defiler. And actually, if they did so I would be glad. Just move the defiler out of cover and fire directly. If he has clustered his units so close together you are sure to hit something, even with scatter.

I use indirect fire to blast away at the units who use cover to sneak closer, such as jump pack troops, bikers and such. They can often use their speed to get completely out of line of sight, thus indirect fire is the only way to hit them. Other targets are devastators and other heavy weapons units.

Another method, that I have not tried myself, is to deploy two defilers. Place one at each end of the table, and any unit within 30" of one will be outside 30" of the other.

You mention having to shoot at the enemy units that don't move towards you, and thats actually not such a bad idea. When an enemy unit does not move towards you it is usually because they are either holding an objective or has powerful ranged weaponry. In both cases I would thing shooting at that unit would be a good idea. Then let your HQ and troops deal with the things rushing towards you. If you use daemons they are perfect for this.

All in all my suggestion is to keep in mind that the defiler is not a model that works well on its own. When you use it you place on the table a model that will dominate large parts of the table and be one of those models the enemy MUST deal with. If you have, say, an assault army, this will take some of the pressure of those cc squads rushing forward.

Arizzar

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, I never thought about that. Perhaps the greatest strength of the indirect fire is to create a large area where the enemy would be foolish to tread. Just use the threat of the indirect fire to funnel the baddies right where I want them to go...

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
The tablesize has been mentioned, but I wish to mention it again. I know not of these are anything like official but we try to use these "rules".

-1000 pts 4'x4'
1001-1500pts 6'x4'
1501pts+ 8'x4'

In other case some armies will benefit on other armies weaknesses. Fast armies against static on to small a board or the opposite on to large a one. Evil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts