Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doesn't anyone else think it ironic that a unit labeled fast attack usually is neither?
Most tactics with the destroyers involve sitting BEHIND the main lines, pumping out SUPPORT fire for the main ATTACK...... I think this unit would have been better placed in the heavy support category, and just had the H. Gauss Cannon as an upgrade, leaving the F. attack slot open for flayed ones, which seem better suited to the category, what with deep strike and "move through cover".

Anybody have a good counterpoint for me?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Very good observation. I agree with the main tactic about destroyers being sitting behind... sitting behind the main line and pumping out shots on the enemy. Though when needed they can get to that line of fire with the 12" range. that does help. Now usually when they do this they get into H2H and then die... but ... they can move that 12".

Good Point.

·
Registered
849 Posts
That's why I think I'll never actually get Destroyers at all, I mean they're good for Shooting from behind, but I'd prefer to take another squad of Wraiths for cheaper instead..... I just love them Wraiths...... :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actually, put them behind a screen of scarabs and they can range farther (ok, so I just started playing Necron & haven't used this tactic yet, but it sounds good. I'll let you know how it works).
Also, since they only hit S6, it's convenient to be able to scoot around to a vehicle's side, or even rear armor. That's why I see them as valid 'fast attack'.
Look at the Marine codex, their bikes are fast attacks, and these work alot like those. I kinda like the fact that you can't upgrade one to heavy gauss, that way you don't loose the use of your heavy when your lights get into h2h (& vice versa, as needed).
I think that flayed ones work as elites. Just cause they deep strike doesn't make them fast. Fast to me means that it goes at least 9. I'm coming from a Tyranid background, so I might have higher standards for 'fast' movement.

$0.05... change please

·
Registered
153 Posts
true, your destroyers could range farther if your scarabs would block line of sight.

but in their profile it says small target, small targets do not block line of sight.

so scarabs are useless.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You could use the warriors... a squad of ten warriors works good to cover all angles in there base to base. but it is an expensive screen. 180 points to stand there as a shooting target. plus if you want to keep your destroyers in that screen than you destroyers can only move the 6 of the warriors... so again restrictions on the destroyers advantages.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by a2ari@Nov 6 2003, 15:07

Also, since they only hit S6, it's convenient to be able to scoot around to a vehicle's side, or even rear armor.

$0.05... change please
ok here's your $.03........ S6 guns aside, they're GAUSS.......... so it's really NOT worth it to leave the cover of the phalanx and the res orb to hit that side armor..... as no matter what you'll glance on a 6.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's why I think I'll never actually get Destroyers at all, I mean they're good for Shooting from behind, but I'd prefer to take another squad of Wraiths for cheaper instead..... I just love them Wraiths......

·
Registered
7 Posts
ok here's your $.03........ S6 guns aside, they're GAUSS.......... so it's really NOT worth it to leave the cover of the phalanx and the res orb to hit that side armor..... as no matter what you'll glance on a 6.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You could use the warriors... a squad of ten warriors works good to cover all angles in there base to base. but it is an expensive screen. 180 points to stand there as a shooting target. plus if you want to keep your destroyers in that screen than you destroyers can only move the 6 of the warriors... so again restrictions on the destroyers advantages.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Actually, put them behind a screen of scarabs and they can range farther (ok, so I just started playing Necron & haven't used this tactic yet, but it sounds good. I'll let you know how it works).
Also, since they only hit S6, it's convenient to be able to scoot around to a vehicle's side, or even rear armor. That's why I see them as valid 'fast attack'.
Look at the Marine codex, their bikes are fast attacks, and these work alot like those. I kinda like the fact that you can't upgrade one to heavy gauss, that way you don't loose the use of your heavy when your lights get into h2h (& vice versa, as needed).
I think that flayed ones work as elites. Just cause they deep strike doesn't make them fast. Fast to me means that it goes at least 9. I'm coming from a Tyranid background, so I might have higher standards for 'fast' movement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very good observation. I agree with the main tactic about destroyers being sitting behind... sitting behind the main line and pumping out shots on the enemy. Though when needed they can get to that line of fire with the 12" range. that does help. Now usually when they do this they get into H2H and then die... but ... they can move that 12".

·
Registered
849 Posts
Dude, watch your posts, never post more than two times in a row, and definately not within one minute of each other either!! As for the whole Destroyer thing, I will Most likely NEVER get Destroyers. I mean sure, they have a range 36" Gauss Weapon, but they aren't that good if you think about it. You get more warriors and prevent Phase out even further than waste 50 points a piece on these guys.....

·
Registered
213 Posts
ive never understood why people just copy and paste other peoples posts. is it to be a better rank? does it really matter what rank you are? some people are just idiots... any ways i love my destroyers, just stick em behind ur warriors and advance slowly and pump out some serious firepower.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you want to fly around with them, let a destroyer lord join them.
Not only i he capable of taking hits, that would instakill a destroyer, and with an orb of ressurection you can survive annithing short of total annihilation (and It takes lots of firepower to down 5 destroyers).

I think they are the best necron unit, flying heavy bolters that can always fire and always glance on a 6.
Maybe not great against space marines, but 4+ armor save armies like tau or eldar will simply love those gauss cannons

·
Registered
857 Posts
Well, the Gadget man has been permanently expelled from LO. His IP is banned, so we won't have to hear from him anymore. I personally like the Destroyers as Fast Attack, as it really does fit. They move fast, and they can fire off a volley from their new position. It's the idea of a support unit that zips around the battlefield, providing fire wherever it's needed.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK now with 4th ed, I think thse units deserve their name, as roughly half the Necron Force can follow and provide support for them. (not that they couldn't before, but now such movement is almost mandatory with the loss of screening.)

Much more "attackish" than before; unarguably fast.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If I'm not misstaken, they now can move 12", fire a volley of shots, and then move another 6".. Acording to the jetbike-rules. That and the save-turns-invulnerable-when-going-24" makes them very fast-attackish..
Quick to get in position (alive) and able to pop out, shoot and pop back, to nag at the enemy flanks (if you consider 9-15 shots from a gauss cannon nagging :lol: ).
Corrct me if I'm wrong. I haven't quit gotten the hang of 4ed rules yet..

·
Registered
397 Posts
Honestly it is very good to take one unit of destroyers. If you just sit them behind your lines then you really aren't using them to their fullest. I usually have a squad of 3-4 running around on the far reaches of the enemies flank so other than the target they are trying to take out nothing else really have LOS to them. That way they are fairly safe, yet providing a nice fire base that will be very destructive if your opponent does nothing about it. Then again if your opponent moves models over to engage them that is more firepower taken away from hitting the main body of your forces.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Originally posted by tolvmannen@Sep 20 2004, 07:32
If I'm not misstaken, they now can move 12", fire a volley of shots, and then move another 6".. Acording to the jetbike-rules. That and the save-turns-invulnerable-when-going-24" makes them very fast-attackish..
Quick to get in position (alive) and able to pop out, shoot and pop back, to nag at the enemy flanks (if you consider 9-15 shots from a gauss cannon nagging :lol: ).
Corrct me if I'm wrong. I haven't quit gotten the hang of 4ed rules yet..
[snapback]216019[/snapback]​

okay i will correct you.

They don't move as Eldar Jetbikes, they move as Jetbikes, which don't get the 6" move in the assault phase

1 - 20 of 33 Posts