Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the detachment unit can counter charge when the parent unit is charged. What happens when the small detachment unit is charged? Can my parent unit counter charge? My friend is trying to outsmart my detachment tactics and just goes for the weak detachment units instead of the parents lol

·
Dethskullz Warboss
1,245 Posts
Well only the parent unit really benifits from detachment rules but since the detachment was charged you can only choose to stand, flee or shoot if its handgunners/xbow/bows.

Detachments are good units of bating enemy units but if the best way i fight to keep them alive is at least a few inches further than the parent unit if your not using them for bating that is. I seen alot of empire players use units of 9 in 3x3 set up anyone know why this is getting more popular? i use mines in 10 of 2x5 set up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i tend to hang my detachments back a few inches as well. Is it legal to do a 3x3 detachment? If the detachment were to end up in a seperate combat, could u count a 3x3 as having 2 rank bonuses? It just sounds a little off. idk

·
Registered
254 Posts
yea i tend to hang my detachments back a few inches as well. Is it legal to do a 3x3 detachment? If the detachment were to end up in a seperate combat, could u count a 3x3 as having 2 rank bonuses? It just sounds a little off. idk
Always keep your detachments back so they can't be charged. People will always try to charge both. one strategy is to charge a detachment with fast cav to tie it up while simultaneously charging the parent unit with a hammer unit.

you can beat this by shooting the bejesus out of the fast cav unit. thats what crossbows/handguns are for.:happy:

and no, you do not get rank bonuses for 3x3 units. it has to be 5 accross to get it. I think people use 3x3 detachments because they are narrower across and easier to hide between two units of infantry.

That way they can't charge the detachment unless their unit is 3 bases accross

I use 5x2 dedachments, though.8Y

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
i always make my detachments 3x3. That way they can fit into narrower spots than a 5x2. You don't get ranks from the detachment, you get ranks from the parent unit (that are worth anything). The whole point of a detachment is to negate the enemy's ranks and get the flank bonus (+4 combat res) since you're swordsmen won't kill a whole lot on their own.

Yes, people will try to take out your detachments (bc they don't have detachs of their own, just like they don't have great cannons and helstrom rocket batteries) You can either play the detachments a few inches back or a few inches forward. If they are charged and you don't want to take it, your detach can flee, and then the main parent unit can charge the enemy's flank.

You can also use detachments (like huntsmen) to screen your parent units. They charge the huntsmen, the huntsmen flee and then can be counter charged by your swordsmen and the swordsmen detachment meaning you'll be up by 5-6 before any kills (numbers, 3 ranks, flank, and possible banner)

·
Registered
279 Posts
The other benefit of having a 3x3 Detachment formation is that there is less frontage for models down the side of the enemy formation to come into contact with. This is especially important with large units like Gobbos and Undead.

Zutta

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.