Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ussually use 10 man devastator squad with 4 Missile launchers for deploy zone holding and shooting support of my 3 close combat squads.
Im thinking about making devastator seregant veteran, armed with bolt pistol and power fist and equipped with auspex. Do yout think
it is a good or bad idea

For: Better close combat punch, if my devastators get charged. Chance to kill big monsters, chance to shoot nasty infiltrators, nice and fluffy unit

Against: 262 points for heavy support squad, which could be min maxed for 200...so i can have 8devs with 4ML and HB landspeeder

So what you think?

·
Hrimfar
525 Posts
You are supposed to see to that your devestator squad does NOT get charged. It's a quite baad idea if they are to stay in deployment zone. However - if you get them to infiltrate (devergent chapter) Then it CAN actually be a good idea. Instead of giving the searg powerfist, take a smaller tac squad and place them in protection/stand by mode next to or even in front of the devestators...

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
As devastators are so expensive anyway giving them a vet sarge with upgrades is generally a bad idea. It has potential but 9/10 times its not going to be point effective.

When combined with infiltrate it is quite powerful but otherwise no. The auspex is only worth it on stuff like tactical squads who are going to be near your front line (they can be devastating on terminators).

·
Registered
400 Posts
I like standard devs better. Even if infiltrating, i still prefer just shooting ppl to bits. With the extra pts, i'd rather get some mobile elements.
besides i prefer auspexes on infiltrating scouts myself.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I play an Alpha legion army where every single unit can infiltrate. A dev squad with an auspex and 4 MLs, or a couple of plasma cannons, would really really really ruin my day. Potential free shots at two or three units.

Sabre

·
Registered
335 Posts
Infiltrating dev squads with auspex...brilliant! I never considered this since, but aren't auspex's used against ENEMY INFILTRATORS? So you can't infiltrate yourself and shoot at what you want....or can you? That's always been a question I've had, the codex states...

"If enemy models with the infiltrate special rule set up within ... of a model with an auspex, then that model is allowed to take a free shot at them....and the unit may also shoot..."

So you can't infiltrate yourself and shoot them with an extra turn....right?

·
Registered
391 Posts
white_consulate said:
So you can't infiltrate yourself and shoot them with an extra turn....right?
If you place your unit with auspex first then any of your opponent's infiltrators will potentially trigger it and give you the free shot. If you forget and place your unit last then you miss out.

I think it's not too bad an idea to give your Devastator Sergeant terminator honours but I would not give him a power fist, they should never be getting into close combat. Instead I'd give him a storm bolter and an auspex so he can have two shots at 24" each turn and take pot shots at enemy infiltrators.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts