Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i picked up a second dev squad and my friend hands me a sheet of marines so i can make a third with my bits of the first two. but should i make a it with heavy bolters and meltas or should i try to diverify it and keep them for switch out on my normal squads?

·
Registered
260 Posts
The way I see it there are only two viable builds for devastators squads: Missile Launchers or Heavy Bolters.

Lascannons are too expensive, plasma cannons always backfire and multi-melta is too short range.

A squad of 4 missile launcher are the most common build, but I have a friend that frequently plays 4 heavy bolters and he likes it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
currently in my one squad its one las cannon 2 plasma and 1 melta and its not so bad i think ive had one plasma accident due to a scatter dice that hates me but other then that they prove there worth to me in 1000 pt games

·
991 Posts
Here is my opinion and I think most experienced players will agree...

1-it is not good to mix weapons with different uses and ranges in the same squad. Your Lascannons shoot 48", the PC shoots 36" and the MM shoots 24". Your LC should be used to take out long range targets, but then the melta is wasted and probably the Plasma too.

2- Lascannons are too expensive. Plasma Cannons are awesome but expensive and dangerous. Missile launchers are relatively cheap, heavy bolters same. Multi-meltas are cheap and effective to a very short range. They will make people avoid a section of the table though! Due to their short range, they make you more subject to assault, but I have honestly never seen a dev squad with 4 multi-meltas on a table top.

Just some ideas to think about...I recommend missile launchers for effectiveness and range. I recommend plasma cannons for fun (but expensive fun). I like heavy bolters against Tyranids (And IG, Eldar, Orks, Tau...)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
see i havent used any heavy bolters yet so i dont know what to expect or use.

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Make them in pairs, then you can swap them about as needed - if you take a squad of 10, you can have 2 heavy weapons in each so the different range isn't too much of a problem.

But plasma cannons are awesome if you have 4 of them :D

·
128 Posts
Devastators are best used in a specalist role In my opinion. I've used them that way and never really had problems. Each heavy weapon fills a certain role best. I firmly believe that all the heavy weapons in a squad should be the same. I usually field 3 full dev squads with a different heavy weapon for each. typically 4 las cannons 4 multi meltas and 4 heavy bolters. but this does change.

4 heavy bolters - This is an anti Infantry squad. power armour or not, 4 heavy bolters on a squad can really thin the numbers down. even terminator armour doesn't like it. why? simple. rate of fire. it puts out a lot of shots, with sm accuracy meaning most of them will hit and a lot will wound. the more armour saves a player has to take the more he's likely to fail.

4 lascannons - overkill usually. but if you use them tactiaclly it can work. combat squad for this is useful giving you two in each. use them to hit tanks first or if you keep all 4 in a squad they are a great anti terminator/MC/DP/Carnifex unit. also good for popping transports easily and far enought away that the troops inside are much less threat. Use these if you have to kill something before it gets close

4 Plasma cannons - great crowd control. long range hig power and armour piercing against any troop or non vehicle. Use them to decimate large squads in one volley. while they can hurt most vehicles leave that to propper anti tank weapons. the template and power make it best suited for wiping out squads one at a time.

4 multi meltas - I frequently field this squad. its a squad to hold one area agasint anything. if you get a lot of transports comign your way this takes care of it. MC. solved. terminators, ignored. IC. please try. The short range does limit it to a hold and control roel but thats fine. This squad will hold your home objective (with a troop choice nearby for support mopping up any survivors from transports or thinnin hordes)

4 missile launchers - personally... I hate this one. I use it when i need something that CAN handle anything, but its not really that good at either really. I CAN beat AV14...JUST BARELY and you'll need all 4 to really destroy the vehicle in one turn. It can target hordes and wipe them out. but its low strength doens't make it easy.

In my opinon the Missile launcher is a jack of all and master of none. It can do the job but its not the best. I feel missile launchers belog on tactical squads, letting them take one anythign while not specaliy targeted at any type of target.

A missile launcher CAN destroy a land raider, but on its own it'll take a couple of turns to do so. The lascannon however CAN destroy a landraider in ONE turn.

A missile launcher CAN engage hordes with its template, but the plasma cannon does it better (the gets hot is usually a minor problem) adnthe heavy bolters job is hordes.

There is no one BEST weapon depite what some people will say, for versatility theres the missile launcher, for doing one thign really well. thers everything else.

Pick what suits your army style best and try that. what do you usually play, or what does your army have in it already?

·
The Uncivil Servent
900 Posts
I think Claytor the question you need to ask is what is missing in your army, that will help answer the question as to what load out to give your devastators. Are you lacking anti infantry firepower take a squad of Heavy Bolters, Anti Tank take Missile Launchers. (with respect to Kakashi i usually find that the four lascannon load out is just too expensive the missile launchers are cheaper and can fill a duel role and for one less point of strength your saving 20 points on each model.)

·
UnderWater Ninja-Tiger ..
785 Posts
Here's the issue I see with Dev squads in 5th. They are expensive. With free/low cost heavy weapons in tactical squads, the Dev squad suffers in cost.

Its currently cheaper to put a lascannon in a tactical squad, than in a Dev squad.

Another point worth mentioning, is vehicles have a greater longevity in 5th edition, therefore lasting longer. And with 5th edition points values, you can get a pair of tanks versus a full dev squad.

Mobility, or the lack there of, really hinders the Dev Squad. Again, tanks take precedence. However, if you have a good piece of terrain, where you have good firing lanes, you can entrench the dev squads with really good results.

They are best used, in my opinion, as a defensive unit. The 5th edition metagame happens to be very offensive, which is another main reason, they don't see the field very often.

Just a few of my opinions, and observations.

·
128 Posts
yes its cheaper to put in tac squads than a dev squad, but the dev squad has the option of four heavy weapons versus the one for a tac squad thus the price rise.

vehicles are more durable and yes you can get two for the price of a full dev squad... but thats TWO heavy support choices gone and doesn't realyl give you much more in the way of firepower, typically its less.

a full dev squad is expensive but gives you firepower, area control, survivablity and you only need one heavy choice to do so.

you don't use devs to chase around tanks. you use them to hold an area, to force the enemy tnaks away from where you want to hold.

I'll take my devastators squad over 2 tanks anyday

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wolves checking in! Long Fangs are a beautiful invention *ducks flame about OP* but honestly i fielded my armor ONCE with out my LF's and sorely missed them, sure they can get expensive but they either make their points back, or they let other units have fun by sending thin rhinos speeding away from them and troops running.

I set up mine w/ 2 LC, 2 PC and a missile launcher to round it out. occasionally i debate on swapping the PC's for some Heavy Bolters, but then i decide i like the high strength low ap better. Plus, when my Leader dies (thus denying me my split fire) plasma can 'drift' onto nearby units :)

so before i don my flame proof vest, im curious how much a dev squad fit with 2 LC and 2 PC would be. i dont have a SM codex so i cant tell.

my above squad costs me 190 -> +-265 if i give them a Razorback w/ TLLC for a GTHO vehicle.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
A missile launcher CAN destroy a land raider, but on its own it'll take a couple of turns to do so. The lascannon however CAN destroy a landraider in ONE turn.
Really

Glancing hits can destroy any more so you would need to get 4 or in the case of my one 5 weapons destroyed (with the last hit turning into immobilised ) Thats very unlikely to happen with missiles you would need a dev squad of 4 and still would be one 1/18 chance for each shot for getting the immobilised or weapon destroyed on the glancing hit table.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Really

Glancing hits can destroy any more so you would need to get 4 or in the case of my one 5 weapons destroyed (with the last hit turning into immobilised ) Thats very unlikely to happen with missiles you would need a dev squad of 4 and still would be one 1/18 chance for each shot for getting the immobilised or weapon destroyed on the glancing hit table.
Without get too much into this debate and just to prove a point, you could destroy a Land Raider with a missile launcher. All you need is a squad with Tank Hunters ability and some luck on the dice.

Another thing to consider is that even with lascannons it is still hard to destroy a land raider. You'need 6 and then 5+ to destroy it.

And that's why Devastators squads that used to fill the anti-armor slot are being substituted by squads with meltas and multi-meltas.

·
128 Posts
The role of devs is whatever you need it to be.

Personally my devastators have still mostly retainted their anti tank role. why? becasue i have the rest of my army to put serious anti infantry out ther. a few melta guns for extra anti tank and the devs can sit back and punch holes in armour all day long.

@ Cowboy - Yeah Land raiders are tough to destroy but their meant to be, Dev squads need to pick the right target. 9 times out of ten, that land raider is NOT the right target.

@Rafici - I never said you could do it easily or in one turn or that it was likely. But you CAN destroy even a land raider witha missile. its jsut not practicle or likely.

If you prefer your devs for anti infantry/horde contorl, thats fien for you. I don't need mine for that purpose (although i usually do still have the 4 heavy bolter squad anyway jsut to make sure)

·
UnderWater Ninja-Tiger ..
785 Posts
yes its cheaper to put in tac squads than a dev squad, but the dev squad has the option of four heavy weapons versus the one for a tac squad thus the price rise.

vehicles are more durable and yes you can get two for the price of a full dev squad... but thats TWO heavy support choices gone and doesn't realyl give you much more in the way of firepower, typically its less.

a full dev squad is expensive but gives you firepower, area control, survivablity and you only need one heavy choice to do so.

you don't use devs to chase around tanks. you use them to hold an area, to force the enemy tnaks away from where you want to hold.

I'll take my devastators squad over 2 tanks anyday
For the record, I completely agree with you, and your previous post.

I prefer dev squads myself. And I use them defensively. Plus I enjoy the models overall.

I was just stating, that you don't seem to see them much in competitive tourney play for the reasons I mentioned. Lack of mobility, and other units can do what they do (aggressively) better than they can.

Also, of note, in PlanetStrike games they are invaluable as the defender of bastions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wow. all i have to say is thanks guys. i have a good idea of what i need i think what im going to do is buld my third dev squad from the scraps i have and have them switch out when knowing what im facing.

my first dev squad i like the one las cannon and the 2 plasma setup it gives me distance and ability to shot the troops and tanks from afar.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i was thinking of putting my Long Fangs in a Drop pod, with Logan and making them relentless, possible with a Wolf Guard with a heavy weapon (cyclone. storm shield) I would attempted to pop two tanks at once. I was thinking meltas around. so I could "get" the two closest tanks. Any suggestions on how i might out fit these devastators. Should I put the WG hvy wpn in there?
----------
also should say that long fangs can divide their fire between two units, if the captain doesn't fire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts