Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry if this is in another thread but i really cant find it. I got my army together finally and in doing so came accross a few pathfinders. I baughtem and now i'm not quite to sure bout them. Whenever I use them my opponent is soo afraid of markerlights, the devilfish, and the rail riffles in the squad that he just goes after them right away and althaugh they fight valiently, taking out some of his dudes before they die they realy dun make their points back. Also, i've noticed that he tends to ignore my FWS as long as they ARN'T in a fish. So all this points to the fish drawing my opponent to concentrating on that unit.

So I have two questions. First, can the devilfish just leave the pathfinders? Leavem at the Deployment Zone and let a group of FWS jump in? Secondly, can the other people in the pathfinder team mark targets with markerlights for the three guys in it w/ rail rifles?

thank you,
~FOR THE GREATER GOOD~

·
Registered
293 Posts
firstly, of course it draws fire, it's a large vehicle. what i do is to leave it behind cover (or move there in the scout move) and sit there with the pathfinders sticking out shooting markerlights everywhere, with seeker missiles and all.

ok, first question: i don't think that it can leave them, but i'm not sure. Afterall, transports always start on the table with a squad, in this case, Pathfinders.
Second question: again, no. they all shoot at the same time, meaning that the rifles shoot without the benifit of markerlights. but this doesn't mean that the markerlights are useless, does it. just pick on squads that the railrifles can't wipe out and use the markerlights for the benefit of a nearby squad.

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
Transports and their attached squads never even have to see one another in a game. You can deploy them both wherever you like, and they operate totally separate from each other.

They are still attached though, so only transports like Land Raiders (which can be bought all on their own, no squad) can pick up whoever they want. Dedicated transports (like your fishies) can only transport the unit they were bought for.

(this is as far as I know, don't have the rulebook with me at the moment, so go right ahead and correct me if I'm wrong.)

·
Registered
133 Posts
OK, heres my advice on pathfinders. They should be small units, 4-6, all carbines. A large unit especially w/ Railrifles will attract a lot of attention from your opponent. With the scout move it can be quite compelling to move foward and set up a shot on your opponents best units, but this is what gets them killed. They should sit at the back of your army and cover the advance of your foward elements, while keeping safely away from return fire. Keep them in cover because if they are deployed right the only thing that can shoot them should be heavy weapons.

As your army manouvers, keeping the opponent off balance, these guys just light up anything that wanders into thier field of vision. Keeping the unit small means your opponent won't feel so eager to send an expensive assault squad to hunt them down or waste a turn of heavy weapons fire on 4-6 infantry.

The empty PathFish, meanwhile, can form up w/ your tanks and/ or FireFish, staying in front to force priority checks on heavy weapon squads. Better an empty fish go down than a troop laden one. Alternatively, it can run blocking manouvers for enemy units trying to get to your infantry by making them go around it and impeding thier movement. Also, it can act as a screen for an Independent Character. I'm sure they're more but these are the most prominent in my mind.

Sadly I also own two railrifles, that rarely get used. The only time I ever use them is in fun games.

I own 6 carbine and 2 railfinders. I split them up into two squads like this:

4 pathfinders-shas'ui w hard wired target lock, 1 railfinder w/ hard wired target lock (82)

This little 4 man squad can split its fire in 3 different directions! Its alittle expensive so, like I said, just for fun.

Oh, and another fish tactic is to drive already broken units off the board by keeping w/in 6" of them.

Hope something here helps.

Phase Out....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do the obvious thing. Use your pathfinders as bait. Lure your enemy into a killing ground then pwn 'em good.

Also, you could give them a shield drone to increase their survivability a little bit but it will cost you 17pts.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
It's okay that your pathfinders get picked on. Remember, the markerlights aren't weapons, they only make other units' weapons more efficient. It's much better to lose your PFs and keep your Fireknifes than vice-versa.

If you don't give Devilfishes to a Firewarrior squad, give the Shas'ui a markerlight and hardwired target lock as a backup 'light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts