Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have challenged a few of my friends to construct a chess set using their miniatures as pieces.

For my DHs set, I was thinking of the following:

King: Inquisitor Lord
Queen: Grand Master
Bishop: PAGK w/ psycannon ??
Knight: PAGK ??
Rook: GKTermie ??
Pawn: IST.

The pieces have to fit on to a 1 inch base to fit the board so the termies bases will have to be changed.

I am happy with the K, Q and pawn, but I think that maybe the bishop, knight and rook can be represented differently using GK special weapons or something.
Maybe all PAGKs with different special weapons?

I would appreciate any input, so let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Heheh, interesting project! For what it's worth, You picked the same ones I would have. If you wanted to stay with mostly Grey Knights, though, you could make standard PAGKs into pawns, keep the Psycannon PAGKs as Bishops, and make Incinerator-toting PAGKs into Knights. The Incinerator seems to mesh well with the relatively short-ranged Knights. Also, Incinerators ignore cover, which kinda works with the Knights ability to move over other game pieces, at least thematically.

If you think about it, it'd be cool to see a picture of the finished product =).

-H

Reactions: Plasma Catcher

·
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like your logic there about the incinerators H. So, incinerator PAGKs are now my knights.

... while I was just typing, I had a break through.

Here is my... army list?

King: Inquisitor lord
Queen: GM
Bishop: Justicar
Knight: PAGK w/ incinerator
Rook: PAGK w/ psycannon
Pawn: PAGK or ISTs.

I changed the rooks from termies to psyPAGKs just because of the base size. But psycannons do have good range.

I think that ISTs are better pawns but now I have the option for both. Yeah! :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Knights!

You could also use Assassins for knights if you wanted more differentiation than the different GK special weapons. Assassins always come off to me as crazy bounding leaping fanatics, which fits perfectly for a knight peice. And Death Cult Assassins can by more than 1 per army (unlike the Temple assassins), so they would make perfect knights.

The ISTs also do seem to be better pawns than a GK to me as well.

This 40k chess set thing sounds like an awesome idea.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Come to think of it, Vindicare assassins would also make good Rooks, or possibly Bishops. Just a thought =).

-H

·
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Assassins!
I didnt even think about assassins.

I think that death cult assassins do fit the movement pattern of the knight and will also help to reduce confusion between all of the PAGKs.

I like the psyPAGK at rook still because he is a little bit bulkier than an assassin, but a vindicar for a bishop could work.

These are great suggestions. Im glad I asked for help.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I like the Inquisitor (or Inquisitor Lord) as king. But won't a queen Grand master make the same problems as a terminator? This made me want to make a DH chess set, but I'd run it something like

King - Inquisitor
Queen - Callidus Assasin (small, moves everywhere and is a girl)
Bishop - DCA
Knight- PaGK w/ incinerator
Rook - Justicar
Pawn - IST

All the pieces look suitably different and fit their roles.

Inquisitor commands, Callidus is most powerful. DCA are unpredictable (and move on diagonals) Incinerator ignores cover, Justicar has power wep. IST are ... well they're small

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
My vote:

King: =][= Lord
Queen: Callidus assassin
Knight: Death-cult assassin
Bishop: PAGK
Rook: GKT
Pawn: IST

They all just... look their respective parts.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Going with a GK theme I would have pawns be GK so you get to see lots of them...

For the tower (I think thats Rook in English, we call it tower in greek) I would love a Dreadnought but I guess it would just be too big...

so here goes my vote...

King : Inq
Queen: Callidus
Bishop: Justicar
Knights: DCA
Rook: GKT
Pawns: PAGK

·
1,256 Posts
I guess I would go puritan, which lessons your options, but I think makes your force look more together. I also think more PAGK is always nice. So I would end up with something like this.

King--Stern
Queen--Brother captain (and I might convert the tabard to more of a skirt)
Bishop--Psycannon PAGK
Knight--Incinerator PAGK
Rook--Justicar
Pawn--PAGK

I Thought about making all of the back line peices terminators, but then one they would have too large of base and it would leave regular GKTs are rooks (or knights with incinerators become rooks because they are the most in your face weapons which is how I play my rooks) and it just seemed like I didn't want to make one piece a non upgraded model as it is just as strong as the other back liners.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts