1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a rather boring meeting today, I had an idea:
DIGITAL CAMOUFLAGE!

A quick googling produced this:

And this:

They are from a company called Hyperstealth who make Digicam style uniforms and have the contract to paint new digital camouflage on armoured and other vehicles for the Jordanian armed forces.

This, I think, will be a striking new look for the two Baneblade variants I am building.
(one is a recovery vehicle, the other is a Stormhammer. WIP pics are a few weeks off though - keep watching...)

I realise that it is not very gothic, but I think it will make a nice change from all the Wehrmacht Wannabees.

I would appreciate any advice on small scale masking to achieve a neat effect - ie crisp straight lines, not too much overspray, no blotchiness. Any tips or hints?

Please LMKWYT
Cheers,
TOMB
(My Blog)

·
Borderlands addict
971 Posts
If you use squared paper or graph paper you should be able to cut out nigh on perfect squares. Graph paper would be the best in my opinion because you can use it to make an assortment of sizes. I don't know what country you're in so it might be called something different, but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

I for one would love to see this through as the idea of digital camo sounds certifiably wicked! 8Y

Good luck! :happy:

Oh, and another thing, lots of close up and general reference pictures ;)

·
Fury of the Ages
753 Posts
What an awesome idea!

I think maybe plasticard (real thin though) might be the go for a mask. Just cut out the shapes, and then spray through it.

the reason I said to use this is I think that multiple uses of a paper mask would eventually become too wet and break, especially over such a large project.

·
Borderlands addict
971 Posts
True, true..that's why I would personally either use a different piece of paper for every square or wait for it to dry. Now I know both of those would take a while, but, IMO, it'll be worth it and practical for a colour scheme that complicated.

Although having said that, you can buy sheets of plasticard with square patterns...

:happy:

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
I think you'll need to use tape and putty directly on the model if you want to spray and be done. any kind of card or paper mask is going to let under a bit of spray and you'll be cleaning up by hand if you want nice crisp lines.

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips

Folks,
thanks very much for those tips - they are all good suggestions. When I get around to building these beasties, I am going to try and de-goth them a little. That is, remove some of the excess riveting, cathedral arches, sticky-out-bits along the track guards etc. My intent is to make them look a little more like modern AFVs. The lines still won't be as smooth as a Challenger or an M1, but I think that the digicam is the way to go.
I will probably compromise on the suggestions you have given me and use a good quality masking tape (such as Tamiya). What I might do is mask both BBs at the same time to give them the same camouflage pattern. Patience is probably going to have to be a factor in this.
Again, thanks for the suggestions.
Cheers
TOMB
(My Blog)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.